Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmest september ever recorded?

Options
  • 30-09-2006 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Francis on Sky news said so, is it true for ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I doubt it, England had plenty of days this month where the temperatures often exceeded 23C to 25C especially in the south-east. Here it was more like 16C to 21C which is still alright for September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

According the the farming weather forcast on RTE today, it was the warmest Sept here since the 1860s between 2 and 3 degrees above the norm.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

To meteorologists 'normal' is the statistical average. Year to year variations above or below the average certainly spans that type of range. I didn't hear the statement, but it sounds rather odd. Also, hardly any of our records go back to the 1860s, so it is much too much of a generalisation in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well maybe Gerald said average. Meh

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I heard this too, he definitely said the warmest recorded and that you would have to go back to 18-something to get a warmer one. couldnt find any stats on the web though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Met Eireann publish a monthly summary on first working day after months end. A PDF file available here
    You can also sign up to receive this by e-mail.

Warmest September since 1895 at Malin Head and warmest since 1865 at Phoenix Park and warmest since records began at other stations.

Compared to the 1961-90 average, temps ranged +1.7C at Cork AP to +2.9C at Casement.

Advertisement