Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary wall at the back of 292 - 316 Charlesland Park

Options
  • 30-09-2006 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Has anybody seen the Berlin wall at the back of the above properties? It is an absolute disgrace and an eyesore. If you have purchased one of the above houses please can you contact me. I am hoping that if enough of us complain Durkan will have to do something about it.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I doubt you'd get much satisfaction from Durkan. I would recommend contacting your management company.

I would imagine that even if it is cleared up, the "artists" would just do it all over again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

We've bought one of those houses but we haven't seen the wall yet. What's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

I suggest that you go and have a look. It is about 20 ft high and the finish is just poured concrete with no render or cap. It is awful. I spoke to my solicitor and if enough of us complain at snagging maybe they will do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Sorry, I'd never noticed the wall. Assumed when you said Berlin Wall that you meant covered in Graffiti!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AshBy

Cuddydale, have you confirmed with Durkan that it's finished?

I was in touch with them re my Snag date and they told me that its been delayed by 2 weeks as a lot of the groundworks have been delayed by the bad weather. Now I don't know if that means they've yet to build a monsterous wall behind the duplexes/apts (317-322)!

Noticed in the summary specification, they say that Boundary Walls are Stone/Brick/Block walls generally (section 13). Though saying that they give themselves a get out clause under section 4 on alternative materials.

Anyway if the're planning to continue the wall behind the duplexes, I'll be looking for a rendered / stone finish or some trees /landscaping.

Aisling

• Advertisement

They are leaving the wall as it is (ie poured grey concrete) they said they may put some creepers up the wall but haven't confirmed for definite. It looks like it will only be the last row of houses that will be effected. The height is also a big issue as it is going to block lots of evening sun.

All other boundary walls have been capped and rendered on the estate but they are just going cheap as it is the end of the development. I have requested that Wicklow Co Co go and inspect to see if they are within the planning regulations. If we had know about the height of the wall plus the steps to the front (which we weren't told about) we wouldn't have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I haven't seen the wall myself but perhaps Cuddy you could see some positive potential of such a wall in that it reduces overlooking of your garden??

On a more general note, everyone I've spoke to people in Charlesland are really enjoying living here.

Best of luck, C.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

Hi
    Bought one of these houses as well and had a look yesterday at the 'wall'. Dont think its that bad too be honest we were going to have the muck hill anyway from the way the houses are built at the edge of the site. Do agree that would like them finished off better though and spoke to my solicitor who said we can defo have it on our snag.

Great forum by the way looking forward to finally moving to charlesland having read about it for so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Hi All, went to check out the site on Saturday and am not too happy with what I saw. Concerned that we'll end up with the equivalent of a north facing garden because of the length of the shadow cast by the very high wall. Also wondering if the developer is chancing his luck to see if he can get away with this boundary wall. If yes, then at some point in the future maybe the land behind the wall could be used for another development of some description. If the wall already exists then residents wouldn't be able to appeal on grounds of privacy. What do you think?

I think the wall is a better option then the muck hill being left as it was. If there was heavy rain or flooding surely we would have an awful mud slide if there was no wall. There was always a possibility of them building behind us to be honest im sure we could still object even with the wall. I've been so looking forward to moving in im trying to keep positive here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dimensions

I think it's obvious that there is going to be alot more development all around Charlesland, hence the exits off every roundabout on the SAR. As far as I know the only green belt left will be the far side of Eden Gate as it's zones agricultural.

We were told by one of the builders on site that the land above will be developed with more houses so we will be overlooked. I am hoping once the council inspect we might be able to get them on the light issue or if not our solicitor told us that we can object at snagging and hopefully if enough complain they may do something. It is just that the current finish is very poor and looks depressing. All the other walls on site have been capped and rendered so why should our wall be any different. Plus we have paid more money given it is the final phrase. Apart from this I am looking forward to moving in! Has anyone got snagging dates yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Geraldine Carro

Hi guys,

We've just bought at the back row too! As far as I know the view from the road is a 'protected view' (you need to be able to see the sea from your car on the road) but there will be more development behind the back row of houses which means that they will most likely build bungalows there so as not to obstruct the view.

Had a look at the wall over the weekend and yeah it looks cheap so we'll be putting it on our snag too - when we eventually get there - our date for snagging has been pushed out to the end of Oct.

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Basil Brush

Hi there,

I am a new user here and we are due to move into one of the back houses as well. We went down to look at the new wall at the back and were also slightly shocked by the height of it and worried it will block our sun as well. We went down at 5.00pm and there was a shadow over the whole garden, while the sun in the summer will be higher and would last longer in the garden we would also like it in the winter!

We did ring up and they said that the finished height of the wall had not yet been decided but that they would be putting in a fence on the wall and railings on the top of it - it is a bit hard to imagine but I think railings would be better on the top than more wall as it is just very high at the moment.

i think that it would be great if everyone could put a call in to the builders/management company so that they are aware that everyone in that row is concerned about it and they will do their best to make sure that it is not a complete eyesore or sunblocker!

Thanks - on a lighter note, looking forward to moving in!

God, this boundary wall thing is totally depressing me. Sounds like I've just spent a fortune on a house that's going to have a back garden wall like Fort Knox. The gardens are small enough so I'd imagine it's going to be totally clostrophobic and as well as very dark.

For those of you that have been up there for a look how high is the wall approximately when you're standing looking at it from the patio doors?

What is our legal position here and do we have any comeback at all?

Hi Neets,

Just make sure that you add it to your snag. Also a call to Orla in the office at Durkan wouldn't go amiss. The more unhappy campers they have the better case for us. We didn't know about the steps either (something Hooke and McD forgot to mention). Not looking forward to carrying a buggy and baby up! We are also in 3 bed semi so could be neighbours...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Basil Brush

apparently the wall currently at the moment is 12 ft high (from the house foundations) and it isn't going to go any higher - there is a higher bit of the wall in the middle which is a mistake and will be taken off. Tressles and creepers will be on the face of the wall and then railing/fence on top so they tell us. Apparently the wall has to support the land behind which is owned by another developer....

i think the more people that write/ring in to builders/management company (which are essentially one in the same - both companies at same address) the better so that they make sure that it is finished off nicely...

hey cuddydale,

you should check with dermot ryan or grey lyons regarding the steps. we've been told that we're only going to have a couple of steps and that these are going to be built into the path, in line with the front wall of the house rather than at the door. i presume that the path will then slope up to the front door. i think the 2 beds are going to fair a bit worse.

anyone get any updates on snagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

cuddydale wrote:
    Hi Neets,

Just make sure that you add it to your snag. Also a call to Orla in the office at Durkan wouldn't go amiss. The more unhappy campers they have the better case for us. We didn't know about the steps either (something Hooke and McD forgot to mention). Not looking forward to carrying a buggy and baby up! We are also in 3 bed semi so could be neighbours...

Is there not a legal issue here - what if you/one of your family were in a wheelchair??? Dont talk about estate agents - they'll only ever tell you the good bits.......

PS Good luck with everything - It is a lovely place to live.........

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

LMC wrote:
    Is there not a legal issue here - what if you/one of your family were in a wheelchair??? Dont talk about estate agents - they'll only ever tell you the good bits.......

PS Good luck with everything - It is a lovely place to live.........

I could be way off, but I seem to remember saying that they had to pull out of their purchase in Charlesland precisely for this reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Maj

That was me! I pulled out of one of the 2-bed townhouses for precisely that reason back in April/May, I've since bought in the area so like to keep an eye on the forum for any handy tips!

I have a couple of family members with disabilities and hated the thoughts of them not being able to visit. Also it'd be a nightmare for kids in buggies. I found out on the Friday, just by chance, we were due to sign on the Monday. The Hooke McDonald person I spoke to was so unhelpful and "couldn't see my problem". It then took me over 2 months to get my booking deposit back as Durkan made great complaints about having to re-issue contracts.

I was told on the phone then that there would be 9-10 steps up to my front door, if that helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know that contractors apply for a 'relaxation of building regulations' when site conditions don't allow them to construct level thresholds at the Front entrance to a house (Duplex units are different in that the steps must be a certain size). All these are covered in the Technical Guidance Documents Part M - Access for People with Disabilities.

I have not seen the wall nor the steps but perhaps a little bettering site planning would have been appropriate.

The developer uses the showhouse as the standard example of what you will get. The least the Selling Agents could do in this instance is advised the Purchaser of any differences between the showhouse and the actual unit being bought.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Hi emailed Orla in Durkans this morning looking for an update on snagging for this back row this is what I got back

"Its looking like it will be the third week of November before it will be
    ready to snag. From a building point of view we should meet this date,
    however the ESB is still delaying us on the site which has a knock on
    effect to other blocks waiting to come on stream."

was down there yesterday and still seems to be a lot to do, anyway thought I'd share the info! cheers

i called her last week and got a completely different story. she told me that she was sending out snagging letters today and that we could snag without electricity first to get cracking on the building snags and then snag a second time when the electricity was in to check the appliances, heating etc.

am now wondering if we're going to be in by christmas? turning into a nightmare now considering that we've got people looking to move into ours asap. am worried that we might have to start paying penalties for exceding the closing date on our own house. anyone experienced this before?

Hiya

Sounds like they are telling people what they think they want to hear to be honest. I cant see us being in by Christmas I was in our house two weeks ago (sneaked in!) and there are no kitchens or bathrooms or anything in and the walls arent even plastered .......unless they really get the lead out the next few weeks. We live in hope eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Emma A wrote:
    Hiya

Sounds like they are telling people what they think they want to hear to be honest. I cant see us being in by Christmas I was in our house two weeks ago (sneaked in!) and there are no kitchens or bathrooms or anything in and the walls arent even plastered .......unless they really get the lead out the next few weeks. We live in hope eh!

You'd be surprised how quickly they can turn around the interiors actually.

If you want an accurate idea of when things will be ready, get the number of the crowd fitting the kitchen - this will be outsourced by Durkan. They will be told a few weeks in advance by Durkans when they are required to fit the kitchen, and will put it in their diary. They will have no problem telling you when they are scheduled to do your place.

I spoke to Orla yesterday and she said that we should be snagging the 3rd week in November and that the builders should all be off site by Christmas at the very very latest!

has anyone been up there lately? how's the boundary wall looking? any railings or fences up yet? have they started the landscaping at the front?

hiya was down there sunday there was scaffolding up taking down part of the wall at the back which is good. Individual Gardens have been fenced off and steps are all done at the front so things seem to be moving.

• Advertisement

I was down there today and was very pleased with progress. One of the builders managed to let us into our unit and was very surprised to see bathrooms nearly finished, kitchen in and paint work done. They have made huge progress since last week so it might be hopefully that we will be in before christmas if the work continues that this rate. Although the builder we spoke to did mention that ESB is delaying things somewhat. All looking very good and came away feeling pleased. Oh and delighted to discover that we have a great sea view from the front bedrooms which is a great added bonus!

Advertisement