Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raita (i think)

• 30-09-2006 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

you know in an indian restaurant when you sit down first and they bring out poppadums, a mix of onions and cucumber sliced finely and a minty dip (which I presume is called raita)....well does anyone know how to make the raita exactly like they make it in restaurants?

i've bought the bottled stuff in the supermarkets but it doesnt come anywhere near the taste or consistency of the restaurant version.

any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try this one, you can always replace the coriander with mint.
    2 cups yoghurt (500 ml)
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 dash black pepper
    1 teaspoon coriander leaves, finely chopped

1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
    2. Keep in a cool place until needed.
    3. Serve chilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

CJ's given you the classic raita recipe (& my favourite). If you wish to go for something a bit more unusual have a look here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I may point out that it's different in a lot of restaurants - when you say 'consistency', what consistency is it in your favourite restaurant? Some of the places I go, it drops off the spoon like yoghurt, in others it pours off like milk. You looking for thick or thin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

cheers for that. will try some of them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

Cucumber Raita
    2 slicing cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and grated or chopped
    1 cup plain nonfat yoghurt
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 Cloves of garlic crushed

1. Press the cucumbers through a strainer or just use your hand to remove some of the water.

2. Combine with other ingredients

Indian starter for poppadums
    Cup of yoghurt
    three clove of garlic peeled
    1 thumb size piece of ginger peeled
    2 green chillis deseeded
    cup of coriander leaves

1)Blend all the ingredient (except the coriander leaves) in a blender until smooth

2) Add the coriander and whizz again for a couple of second so you get nice distribution of coriander

both are nice and refreshing so enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement