Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Skype work with Clearwire?

Options
  • 30-09-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone on Clearwire is using Skype successfully?

I've been trying it out and I can hear the person I'm calling but they cannot hear me at all, just some faint garbled noise.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is Clearwire the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I think it'd be hard to for you do soemthing "wrong" really , Clearwire may be filtering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Is there anything I can do?

Anything I could download to help me out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Not that i can think of tbh , they seem to block lots of stuff to i presume make the most of the capacity they have. The earlier versions of skype used to go mad when they got onto a network with a few different internet gateways etc and start passing major traffic but new versions seem grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Avoid Clearwire if you want a broadband connection that works with anything other than sanitized websites (disney.com, microsoft.com, and whitehouse.gov work OK). If an application uses anything other than port 80 or 443, chances are it won't work on this company's network.

Clearwire = 1930s style censorship brought to the internet age - without any warning before you commit to the product.

Craig McCaw's "Clearwire" service in Ireland deserves to be boycotted by everybody as a matter of principle.

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I'm beginning to see why it has so much bad press here on boards.ie.

I was happy enough with it at first but now really pissed-off that I can't use any VoIP. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And like you say probe, no idea of these limitations when I signed up. They just hooked me in with next day delivery. (just moved huse and impatient to get online!) I've just rooted out the "Terms of Service" which of course I never read because I can't! Tiny type is impossible to make out! :mad:

Must check out other threads to see if I can get out of the contract...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

it works, I use it, you need to tell them to open the ports for skype.
    The clearwire service is adodgy though, and only works well haldf of the time, so if you can get a better provider do, for me clearwire was the only choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Was happy enough with Clearwire, however i am no longer getting the 2 MB link that i am paying for.

Advertisement