Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sound system in a Ford KA

Options
  • 30-09-2006 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I bought a cheap and cheerful Ford KA about two years ago, and while it's a grand car for what I need, the sound is terrible.

There are two problems:
    1. Cabin noise
    2. Cheap speakers

Can anyone give advice on how I'd go about improving the sound? I have an Ipod that I connect to the tape dec, so I dont need to upgrade the radio itself. Maybe I'm wasting my time?

Regards,
    merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you're wasting your time TBH. you could replace the speakers, but the acoustics aren't great in the Ka, so you get lots of vibrations from the plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Dynamat! www.dynamat.com

Its incar sound deadening material and makes a hell of a difference in both improving acoustics(especially bass) and blocking out road noise.

Its not cheap though,about 30 - 40 per roll,and youd need 2 rolls to full insulate 1 door panel.Its available from any half decent car audio supplier or halfrauds if there's one near you

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I don't mind spending that kind of money to improve the acoustics at all. It's a lot cheaper and more convenient than getting a new car. Is that the right link? I can't get it to work.

I think this would be a safe gamble to try before looking into new speakers. The only problem I can see is that the KA is a 3 door. So I can only insulate the two front doors. The space where there should be another two doors probably should be insulated too, but isn't accessable because there aren't any panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Link fixed;)

Id go with the dynamat first,theres other brands available cheaper too and ebay is a cheap bet aswell,personally ive used dynamat and brownbread for installs and found dynamat extreme excellent stuff even with standard speakers there was definitly an increase.

I had the whole rear of my car covered in it at one stage as my subwoofers were breaking the exterior recess on the boot,dynamat sorted it right out,it wasnt cheap to do but imo well worth it.

Any car you could find competing in car audio comps will more than likely be covered in it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks eireal. I'll give it a shot, starting with the front doors. I'll probably be back for help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I think first you should be looking in getting a replacement head unit, then take it further by replacing the speakers.

The fron speakers are not more then 13cm, so that gives you a very limited option unless you are going for expensive gear.

You can use the back-shelf to add a set of 17cm speakers, or 6x9in (but is too small for them).

Using dynamat staff is only usefull if you are building an epensive sound system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

What model radio is in it? The Ford 1000? or the 5000?

I wouldn't go bothering with soundproofing. Accoustics and sound deadening is a
    complicated business that manufacturers spend many millions on researching. Shoving in sound proofing stuff where there is space is highly unlikely to achieve the desired effect unless everything is is really really good to begin with.

Advertisement