Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Special Topic

Options
  • 30-09-2006 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Okay, I've got my special topic pretty much entirely done, but there's a problem, I have no idea of the layout it's supposed to be written up in, my first draft is due on Monday and I need to correct the layout, anyone know where I can get any documentation of the layout required? And a word count? I know it's 1500, but what about the other sections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Flick to the back of your history book and it gives an example of how it should be composed. This is assuming you have the Modern Ireland/Europe books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Okay, I've got my special topic pretty much entirely done, but there's a problem, I have no idea of the layout it's supposed to be written up in, my first draft is due on Monday and I need to correct the layout, anyone know where I can get any documentation of the layout required? And a word count? I know it's 1500, but what about the other sections?

Just in case you don't know, the 1500 words includes your evaluation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

I'm not using those books. AFAIK.
    Any chance someone has a link?

I've scoured the net and nobody mentions it anywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You can download it as a pdf with adobe acrobat reader, from the examinations.ie. Do you mean the first part, the citing sources lark? If you can't find it, I'll tell you it. My first draft is due Monday as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My first draft due monday...but erm. Haven't started it and the teacher won't give me back all my notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

I'm nearly done with my 1st draft, doing Foreign National Intervention during the Nanking/Nanjing Massacre 1937-1938

First draft due tomorrow, haven't started it 'cause the teacher never gave me back my notes. I'm in work today soon, god I'm ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grip

Check out www.hist.ie for help on that and all aspects of new syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Iv just done mine as if its a normal essay. Its all I can do, if its not right, i can change it for the next draft. Have just over 4 A4 pages on Robert Halpin and the Transatlantic Cable. How long are other peoples drafts? Mine doesnt have to be in till next Thursday, which seems much later than all yours

Mine is 4 pages, thats just the first draft.

• Advertisement

Ah thats ok, it should be enough words. I just have to do that last paragraph explaining how you got the info or something. it'll be fine

Mine's 8 and a bit. It's double the word count, it's going to be shot down..I have way too much info on it...

Mine is about Geishas of Gion, Kyoto, Japan.

Whats the method for counting the words anyway? Surely their not gonna count up to 1500 words for everyone

They count up your average amount of words per line for the first few lines or so, then multiply it by the amount of lines you have.

So much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Just a bit of advice: You should type up your first draft on a computer once you've finished it. It means subsequent drafts can be edited easier, you can have a quick and easy word count and you have a back-up copy in case you lose your hard copy.

Most of my class were way over the word count and had to cut their essays way down, it's a sad thing to have to do :( Our teacher found out that they will give you a bit of a buffer zone at the upper end of the word count, maybe up to 1700 words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

Does naybody have suggestions on what I can do my research topic on. Mu entire class have already picked what they are doing and I feel presured and lost. My teacher hasn't been much help either. I can't seem to settle on anything. I feel anything that I have an interest in is either going to be too long or be too difficult to find information.

My only idea at the moment is Thomas edison or The UN. I just don't know where to go from here...

Is there any buffer zone for word count on the lower side of the word scale ie. less than 1200? I can always put a few more ands in there, and i still have to do the evaluation, but I feel I will be cutting it tight

I doubt it, it seems very clear on at least 1200 words. I managed to get my word count down from 2506 words to 1280, minus the review. It's still over, but it's not going to matter, The review, what the HELL are you supposed to write?

Yeah what the hell is the review? Mine was due today, but I came home early to finish it and my home ec. Goddamn you, sixth year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement