Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long rides and sore arms

Options
  • 30-09-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing quite a number of long rides at the moment and while my legs, bottom, hands and feet are all fine, my arms really start to ache around the 70-80km mark.

I cycle a Specialized Sirrus that I recently converted to drops, which are really helping with the hand positions, as well as with the wind. I'm thinking of adding aerobars, not so much for speed but just for more hand positions. When the arms are aching I really feel like just lying them down over the handlebars.

Apart from the aerobars, any other suggestions?

Suggestions on where to buy aerobars would also be appreciated - bike shops or internet (I presume they are pretty easy to fit?) I am also anticipating a bit of a pickle as to where to put my front light once I fit them - any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'm not familiar with bike part names ,but I'll give it a go.
    Theres an adapter available that fits on the stem of the handlebars and sticks up a few inches ,it allows you to put on two lights .Or a light and computer .I seen it in a Duffs cycle brochure.

Someone advised me to get good gloves with gel padding inside them ,I haven't got around to it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Where exactly are your arms hurting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Too close to the wall?

No seriously, apparently handlebars can exert a lot of pressure on the median nerve, leading to carpal tunnel syndrome, however i think this is more about the hands.

Sore arms could be a result of keeping your elbows locked while cycling. Loosen up a bit and keep some flex in your elbows. Reducing pressure on your arms by cycling with a more upright posture migt also help, if your bike allows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

How far below the saddle is the handlebars? If the top of the handlebars are more than three inches below the top of the saddle then maybe the drop is too much for comfort - you'd be putting more weight on the hands and arms. If this is the case you may be able to 'flip' the stem. This way the angle will be up, reducing the drop. Chances are you will be experiencing neck and some shoulder soreness if the problem is with the drop. As posted above, locking your elbows, holding onto the bars too rigidly will tire the arms. How long have you been doing these longer spins? Could be a matter of just putting up with it for a while til your arms get accustomed to the longer workout.
    blorg wrote:
    I'm doing quite a number of long rides at the moment and while my legs, bottom, hands and feet are all fine, my arms really start to ache around the 70-80km mark.

I cycle a Specialized Sirrus that I recently converted to drops, which are really helping with the hand positions, as well as with the wind. I'm thinking of adding aerobars, not so much for speed but just for more hand positions. When the arms are aching I really feel like just lying them down over the handlebars.

Apart from the aerobars, any other suggestions?

Suggestions on where to buy aerobars would also be appreciated - bike shops or internet (I presume they are pretty easy to fit?) I am also anticipating a bit of a pickle as to where to put my front light once I fit them - any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What height are you? What size frame is your bike? I'm 6' 3" tall, and I'm finding it hard to find a mountain bike that I can get comfortable on. I do find a lot of pressure onto my hands/wrists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Yeah we need more information about how/where your arms are giving you grief.
    I have some issues myself like:
    Circulation is getting cut to my left arm and it frequently goes all tingley, letting the arm dangle to the side seems to help.
    The road surface on some spins is really poor, so much so that afterwards i get pains in my wrists that feel like they've undergone electric shocks thru them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm six foot and the frame is 58cm compact geometry. Handlebars are about three/four inches below the top of the saddle. When I first got them changed I did think I was being stretched a bit too much and was thinking of flipping the stem but by now I think I'm pretty used to them. I'm _not_ getting any real neck/back/shoulder problems, (I did on a previous road bike) it really is just the arms.

I've had that electric shock wrist thing on road bikes before but not on this one - I have padded gloves and 700x28c tyres which really makes a difference on the bad road surfaces; much less jitter transferred to your hands. Swapping to the drops did transfer more weight to my hands but I actually find this more comfortable for the longer distances (bottom used to get sore, not any more.)

I've been doing longer (60km+) cycles since around the middle of July. I have noticed that the distance at which the arm ache starts happening has been moving forward, so I could indeed be getting more used to it; on Friday I did a century (staggered across the day) and only started getting aches around the 120-130km mark.

It's a sort of ache, more in the upper arm. I think most likely it is keeping the arms in a too rigid position; I try to keep a loose bend at the elbows but often find myself holding the bars with my arms completely straight.

I was thinking of trying Cycle Superstore's bike fitting thing - anyone done that? Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

blorg wrote:
    I have Profile Design AirStyke aerobars. The spring loads arm rests mean that the flat portion of the handlebar is available when I'm not in the aero position. I used to have the basic Profile Design Century aerobars (I moved them to my commute bike).
    I'd provide links to Cycle Superstore but the site seems to be having problems (very slow and times out). The price there, with their free Loyalty Card, is as good as online prices.

I put my light at the very front of the aero bars.
    You can use their Univeral Computer Mount (UCM) to attach your bike computer. I just have it on the bars, at an angle, and I turn my head a little.
    _Brian_ wrote:
    Theres an adapter available that fits on the stem of the handlebars and sticks up a few inches ,it allows you to put on two lights .Or a light and computer .I seen it in a Duffs cycle brochure.
    See the Clamps/Brackets section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

3-4" below the saddle is quite a bit - I assume you're talking about the tops of the bars. Do you ever ride in the drops? They'd be very far away with this setup. Move your hands to different parts of the bars regularly as you ride (tops, hoods, drops etc.). Definitely try to keep you arms bent a bit. Doing some strengthening exercises on your arms would help too - start doing those pressups ever morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

daymobrew- thanks for those suggestions, I'll check out Cycle Superstore. Having spring loaded arm rests so I still have access to the top bar would be important I think.

Morgan- it's probably closer to 3 than 4 (that is to the top of the bars, yes); a bit difficult to measure accurately as the frame is compact geometry. I did put the saddle down a little after changing the bars; I think I had it too high before.

I would spend the vast majority of my time on the hoods or just back from them; I use the drops when going downhill or if there is a headwind. Generally only use the tops when my arms start the aching; perhaps should do this more.

Some strengthening exercises might also help; my upper body would be completely undeveloped. I was thinking of taking up swimming (used to swim a fair bit, would enjoy it more than pressups!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement