Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant trees and shrubs now? or spring?

Options
  • 30-09-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Just received a list of trees and shrubs to plant in my garden, from a local landscaper. He recommended to plant in spring, but from speaking to other people, they said it was possible to plant now!!! Anybody got any suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Most information I've seen suggests that early autumn is the best time. The soil is moist and warm and the trees can establish before winter. I planted my trees in October last year - and apart from wind damage most are doing fine.
    Shopping? - try www.shoponlineireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Autumn is by far the most suitable time for planting trees/shrubs, and due in no small part to the fact that during the period late Oct-end March is when all the bareroot planting takes place.

Incidentally, you can also get much better value for your money as well as quality of trees/shrubs during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Thks for the help

Advertisement