Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Beetroot

• 30-09-2006 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

So we were out shopping today, and on the way home stopped at this farmer near us who sells home-grown and home-made produce.

Picked up some eggs, some (fab) icecream, apple juice, a bag of carrots, another of radishes, a pumpkin (yay! pumpkin season is here) and....

...a bag of fresh beets.

Obviously, we can boil 'em, and shred them into a vinegar-based sauce to make beetroot salad (uncannily similar to the best "baby beets in vinegar" I remember from Christmastime as a kid...Cross & Blackwell or Colemans or one of those) but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Hmm...now that I start thinking, I'm pretty sure there's at least one recipe in my Jamie Oliver books which uses them, and I'd be staggered if wotsisface didn't use them in his Year of Cooking. Gary Rhodes...thats the chap.

So...any recommendations?

jc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I do like http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/roastbeetroot_72797.shtml - I love roasted beetroot and love rosted red onions..good combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sounds good. Gonna give that one a try.

The worst it can be is a loss of about 1.50 worth of beets, right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well yeah :D

It has such a good combo of simple ingredients though, it's hard for it not to be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

There's a recipe in one of the Café Paradiso books (Seasons, I think). You boil them, skin them, cut into chunks if they're big, then roast for about 10 mins in preheated olive oil. Then throw on cumin seed and a good dash of balsamic vinegar, and good salt, and roast for another 5 minutes (hot). It turns out great.

And there's another recipe for beetroot soup, in the same book or perhaps in the earlier one. Beetroot, potato and cream, puréed, as far as I remember. It's stunning looking, and at the end you swirl in sour cream, parsley and a dash of vodka. One of the best soups.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

I just tried that suggestion of Buffybot's for the beet and onion roast. Ridicuously fabulous. Not only that but it was also the easiest thing to make and looked so impressive. Definitely a keeper.

"I wish I could drink like a lady. I can take one or two at the most. Three and I'm under the table. Four and I'm under the host. :p "

• Advertisement
Advertisement