Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

repairing a cracked rear light?

Options
  • 30-09-2006 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Recently, reversed into a lightpost but luckily did no major damage. There is however a slight piece (about 0.5cm) of my rear light covering gone as a result. This has allowed water to flow into the boot when there is heavy rain.
    Rather than paying for a new light I was hoping that there is some sort of filler I can place in the space that would do the job.
    Maybe silica gel or something similar? Are fillers available in red or would a clear coloured filler suffice?
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One method might be to tape the crack from behind the lens and then spead glue over the front, leave it until it goes hard and then tidy up with a craft knife. Leave the tape in place (just make sure its not blocking much light).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

trent wrote:
    Recently, reversed into a lightpost but luckily did no major damage. There is however a slight piece (about 0.5cm) of my rear light covering gone as a result. This has allowed water to flow into the boot when there is heavy rain.
    Rather than paying for a new light I was hoping that there is some sort of filler I can place in the space that would do the job.
    Maybe silica gel or something similar? Are fillers available in red or would a clear coloured filler suffice?
    Any help appreciated.

You could go to a scrap yard and seek out a replacement light from a crashed car for a fraction of the price. Depending on the size of the damage even if you managed to repair the light water may still find it's way in.

You may also be able to pick up cheaper patented lights on eBay or http://www.micksgarage.ie

Also a damaged or cracked light could and most likely will fail the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazz26 wrote:
    a damaged or cracked light could and most likely will fail the NCT.
    "Lens missing or broken" is given as a reason for failure in their manual but they seem to give a bit of leeway if it is merely cracked but not 'open' or with a piece of the lens missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"Lens missing or broken" is given as a reason for failure in their manual but they seem to give a bit of leeway if it is merely cracked but not 'open' or with a piece of the lens missing.

Would probably come down to what sort of mood the tester is in or whether it is a Friday afternoon or Monday morning.

Advertisement