Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hello

• 30-09-2006 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just to say hi to everyone...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Uh, hello.

Would you like to discuss something? Preferably applicable to the nature of this forum...

How about the apparent paradox of praying to an all-powerful, non-interventionaist God for intervention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Zillah wrote:
    How about the apparent paradox of praying to an all-powerful, non-interventionaist God for intervention?

Didn't we already do that ...?

How about which is best, springy clothes pegs or the other kind ...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Wicknight wrote:
    How about which is best, springy clothes pegs or the other kind ...

Hangers.
    They don't leave the clothes peggie marks on your cloths.

Oh
    and to stay on the topic of this forum,
    god does not exist, he's a big fat made up lie to keep up all in line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Didn't we already do that ...?

Um, did we? I don't remember anybody arguing that god was non-interventionist, though we did put the omniscient/omnipotent thing to bed a few weeks back, around the same time that Jesus and Mo' did:

http://www.jesusandmo.net/2006/08/17/will/

Must have been reading here for inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

robindch wrote:
    Cartoons, depicting Mohammed ...

You're a brave one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Thanks Robin for that. I love cartoons that depict Mohammed because they piss off Muslims. Muslims are way too serious and need to laugh for once! Oh I forgot the Qur'an probably says you can't be happy, laugh at the folly of religion and smile......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

UU wrote:
    I love cartoons that depict Mohammed because they piss off Muslims. Muslims are way too serious and need to laugh for once!
    Even forgetting the contradition in this sentence, I'm not sure comments like that do us any favors here.
    (I'm also hoping Robins link - funny as I found it - doesn't get us in trouble. :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

robindch wrote:
    > Didn't we already do that ...?

Um, did we? I don't remember anybody arguing that god was non-interventionist, though we did put the omniscient/omnipotent thing to bed a few weeks back, around the same time that Jesus and Mo' did:

http://www.jesusandmo.net/2006/08/17/will/

Must have been reading here for inspiration.

He's not allowed to intervene anymore ever since the church made up the idea of free wil to free god from responsibility from the countless diasters that abound existence, alas this also free s god up from having anything to do with the good things which happen...the latter part has many a chrsitain in denial btw, as they thank god for the sun or a cheeseburger or whatever.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I'm also hoping Robins link - funny as I found it - doesn't get us in trouble.

I think it's quite unreasonable for residents of the atheism/agnosticism forum to self-censor links in case some religious person might happen past, click on them and take offence at what's linked to, or at the poster for posting them. Our esteemed moderators may disagree, but I don't believe that religious people should expect religious taboos to be observed in discussions around here, any more than our opinions (or feelings!) are respected in religious forums -- does anybody remember BC recently telling me that I'd burn in a lake of fire for all eternity? :)

That's my €0.02.

robindch wrote:
    Our esteemed moderators may disagree, but I don't believe that religious people should expect religious taboos to be observed in discussions around here, any more than our opinions (or feelings!) are respected in religious forums -- does anybody remember BC recently telling me that I'd burn in a lake of fire for all eternity? :)
    Now did I do anything other than express a hope that we don't experience the same crap that happened the last time someone posted controversial cartoons? No! That was just me talking. The mod hat is kept in the drawer except for the infrequent times when somebody acts the spanner.

Political correctness and uber-tolerance wreck my head too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Beruthiel wrote:
    Hangers.
    They don't leave the clothes peggie marks on your cloths.

Oh
    and to stay on the topic of this forum,
    god does not exist, he's a big fat made up lie to keep up all in line.

Your the lie, god is dog spelt backwards

The mod hat is kept in the drawer except for the infrequent times when somebody acts the spanner.

*Starts edging towards drawer*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Now did I do anything other than express a hope that we don't experience the same crap that happened the last time someone posted controversial cartoons?

I blame the OP (óbriain1988) for posting about such a controversial topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

robindch wrote:
    Our esteemed moderators may disagree, but I don't believe that religious people should expect religious taboos to be observed in discussions around here, any more than our opinions (or feelings!) are respected in religious forums -- does anybody remember BC recently telling me that I'd burn in a lake of fire for all eternity? :)
    Your esteemed moderators do not disagree, but they are aware of the damage that can be caused by the emotional response of members of other religions less tolerant.
    As to BC, what makes you think that hell would accept you in. If I was in charge down there I wouldn't:D

Zillah wrote:
    *Starts edging towards drawer*
    *Pats pocket in speedos where drawer key is kept* :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's just plain sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

Zillah wrote:
    Uh, hello.

Would you like to discuss something? Preferably applicable to the nature of this forum...

i had written something else saying a disagreed but my friend pointed out that what i wrote was fairly hostile and against the whole idea of this thing so i changed it, so sorry about that. What makes you think God is non-interventionaist?

&#243 wrote: »
    i had written something else saying a disagreed but my friend pointed out that what i wrote was fairly hostile and against the whole idea of this thing so i changed it, so sorry about that.

Oh don't pull your blows, I certainly won't (see other thread... :D).
    What makes you think God is non-interventionaist?

Well, he's supposed to be non-interventionist. Apparently we have freewill, so any intervention on his part that affects a human has taken away from their ability to choose.

Anyway, the very notion of prayer is absurd; he's omniscient.

*Begins edging towards speedos*

"That hat will be mine!" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Zillah wrote:
    *Begins edging towards speedos*

"That hat will be mine!" ;)
    Brave, even I won't do that:) I insisted on having my own key.

• Advertisement
Advertisement