Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble Connecting on Laptop

• 30-09-2006 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭

Hey

Friend has BB with Irish Broadband, they dont have a phone line so went with these guys I know they are brutal

Lately they cannot connect to the net and they were told it was their laptop a Dell Inspiron

took a lend of it to see if I could connect using my modem and got the below results

Connected modem up to laptop using a ethernet connection to a Bt voyager 2100 modem

Connection through WAN Miniport(pppoe) error 676 The remote computer did not respond

In the properties of the connection in the internet TCP/IP the protocols are ticked as obtain automatically

also ticked are Qos Packet scheduler & Intel wireless connection agent

Tried pinging 192.168.1.1 and go

Destination host unreachable

Also tried the wireless option and installed drivers and usb agent but no joy there either

So is it the Pc and if so any way to fix this or is it time for them to give Dell a call as this is where they bought the laptop ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Have you check the properties of the device in device manager.

Intel's usually have an option to use one protcol or another or both so check both.

There is also a power saving option which you could turn off in there

Also make sure it isn't in adhoc mode (if this is an option).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

brim4brim wrote:
    Have you check the properties of the device in device manager.

Intel's usually have an option to use one protcol or another or both so check both.

There is also a power saving option which you could turn off in there

Also make sure it isn't in adhoc mode (if this is an option).

Cheers but bit of a PC noobie so how can I do this?.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you confirmed that the ethernet connection on the laptop is actually working? Can you connect to your router via the ethernet connection?

Have you scanned the latpop for viruses spyware etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

dub45 wrote:
    Have you confirmed that the ethernet connection on the laptop is actually working? Can you connect to your router via the ethernet connection?

Have you scanned the latpop for viruses spyware etc etc

How can I check the ethernet connection on the laptop is working ?

They have Mcalee or whatever its called installed on it so may run it

However what could be buggering it up for a wireless connection ?

Thanks

Advertisement