Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with downgrading a 2.6 psp

• 30-09-2006 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of downgrading a 2.6 psp. I've downgraded a couple of 2.0's but 2.6 is a different ballgame. I followed the guide here http://pspupdates.qj.net/2-5-2-6-Downgrader-FINAL-Released-/pg/49/aid/57717 but I am lost.

1.50 User Instructions

1. Copy the folders downhelper and downhelper% from the folder 1.50 HELPER folder to /PSP/GAME/ in your memstick.
    2. Obtain the 1.50 update EBOOT and put it in /PSP/GAME/UPDATE in your memstick. You may find the 1.50 update in our download site here.
    3. Init the downhelper program.
    4. It will dump your flash and some files from the updater eboot to the memstick. (These files are illegal under US copyright laws, so please do not distribute them in the comments or on our forums)
    5. After that, the program will exit. You can now delete the updater from /PSP/GAME/UPDATE
    6. You'll notice that you have a new folder in the root of your memstick called "DOWNDATER".
    7. That's the folder you'll have to send to a 2.50/2.60 to let him test the downgrade.

I successfully completed all of the above but its the following section which has me completely baffled.
    2.50/2.60 User Instructions

1. Copy the folder the DOWNGRADER/2.50/DOWNDATERTEST if you have 2.50 or DOWNGRADER/2.60/DOWNDATERTEST if you have 2.60 to /PSP/GAME/ in your memstick
    2. Wait someone with 1.50 to pass you a folder called DOWNDATER and copy it to the root of your memstick.
    3. Init GTA and the eLoader
    4. Connect your psp to the AC adaptor
    5. In the eLoader menu, choose the downdater test. WARNING: the program won't output any display and any warnings, it will init the downgrader process immediately.
    6. You'll see the your memstick flashing. That means that your psp is being flashed from the memstick.
    7. You won't see any type of output in the screen (this is for safety). When the memstick finishes flashing, the psp should reinit and you'll have probably a 1.50.
    8. It will probably say you "Cannot read disc". Don't worry about that, this is because the UMD device has not been reset properly. Simply restart the psp manually or take and the battery for 5-10 minutes and the problem will be solved.
    9. That's all. If all went right, you'll have 1.50. If it went less good, you'll still have 2.50/2.60. If all went wrong, you'll have a bricked psp (except in the case you have the modchip) Remember that you have accepted that risk.
    10. If your PSP is showing up as v2.01, this is fine. Just use Wab Version Changer and change it to v1.50.

1. Copy the folder the DOWNGRADER/2.50/DOWNDATERTEST if you have 2.50 or DOWNGRADER/2.60/DOWNDATERTEST if you have 2.60 to /PSP/GAME/ in your memstick

I couldnt find the folder DOWNGRADER/2.60/DOWNDATERTEST in any of the files I downloaded. So I created the three folders DOWNGRADER/2.60/DOWNDATERTEST (with nothing in them) and placed them in /psp/game. Is this what I am supposed to do?
    2. Wait someone with 1.50 to pass you a folder called DOWNDATER and copy it to the root of your memstick.

Fine I was able to do this but I'm completely lost with the following step
    3. # Init GTA and the eLoader
    I downloaded the eloader but I havent a clue how to use it, and I don't know where to get the gta save file.

I'd really appreciate soome help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

stop what you're doing right now. upgrade the PSP to 2.71, then downgrade. it means not using GTA.

also, using that downgrader (even with 2.71) is a "dirty downgrade" (there are still files leftover from the job. what i did was downgrade, upgrade to 2.0, then use the MPH downgrader to get a "clean" firmware install

everything you need is on pspupdates, and check the forums too (they're quite helpful)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks a lot. I'll check out the 2.71 downgrade.

Do you know where I can get my hands on the 2.71 firmware, so I can upgrade from 2.6.

Thanks

Nephew wrote:
    Do you know where I can get my hands on the 2.71 firmware, so I can upgrade from 2.6.

Thanks

pspupdates or psp-hacks have all the firmware's on their file lists

Thanks. You've been very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i shall also do this now
    mwhahahaha

after you do it make sure the first thing you do is install devhook so you can run 2.71 firmware on your 1.5 firmware :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Ok, I'm gonna try all this tonite after work

Any beginners advice?

once u have eboot 2.71
    just run this executable to get to 2.71 , dont need firmware 1.5 dumps etc, all included
    http://psp.xtrusion.es/content/singta.htm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Placebo wrote:
    once u have eboot 2.71
    just run this executable to get to 2.71 , dont need firmware 1.5 dumps etc, all included
    http://psp.xtrusion.es/content/singta.htm

Downgraded tonight with no trouble. Now it's been a long time since I used my psp for emulation (But finally finished Mario World and Zelda when I did!) and I've heard about this devhook thing which alows me to fake firmware 2.71 so I can still play Loco Roco and GnG. Can anyone give me an update on the emu scene and give me a guide to devhook?

Cheers :cool:

• Advertisement

no need to write a new guide, pspupdates is already a great resource :)

the devhook guide
    homebrew guide

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well that wasn't so bad... Back playing BASS and they've got working CPS1 and CPS2 emulators now! Fantastic :)

i got 1.5 but i dunno if i installed dev hook right, some games need some1,5 bios or shome**** in dh folder and what not

Placebo wrote:
    i got 1.5 but i dunno if i installed dev hook right, some games need some1,5 bios or shome**** in dh folder and what not

it's the 2.71 file you need for devhook to run, search google and you'll find it. most sites aren't hosting it because sony clamped down on sharing this particular file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

pspupdates or psp-hacks have all the firmware's on their file lists

They only seem to have the Japanese and US firmware for 2.71
    Did anyone find the uk one?

Advertisement