Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's running for class rep?

Options

Comments

I left my application till the last minute, I always knew i was going for it, but the class didnt, until friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Wait - is it too late to run for Class Rep? If not, how do you go about it?
    There's only 11 in my class and I'm pretty positive no one has bothered to enter so it could be an easy chance for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

jimi_t wrote:
    There's only 11 in my class and I'm pretty positive no one has bothered to enter so it could be an easy chance for me :)

Yep, you had to have it in by last Friday. A week late my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

jimi_t wrote:
    no, but the procedure has changed. Now its a by election.

Ok I'm confused - can I or can't I?
    If yes, how do I go about it and what exactly does it entail?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

jimi_t wrote:
    Ok I'm confused - can I or can't I?
    If yes, how do I go about it and what exactly does it entail?
    Yes, but you need twenty signatures and a different form (I really doubt that a class of 11 has its own rep, what do you do?)

Get in contact with Deputy Dave (I love that name) and find out what the story with your constituency is (it is imposiible for there to only be 11 voters, your class probably isnt your constituency in full) and ask him for a by election form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Hmmmm nobody ran for Irish. And i've no idea who that Art History person is. So what happens if nobody runs? It just gets nobody or does someone babysit it?

I assume that if no one calls for a by-election it'll be the job of the Arts Programme officers to babysit ye.

Yes, but you need twenty signatures and a different form (I really doubt that a class of 11 has its own rep, what do you do?)

It's that new Liberal Arts class (DN056), I can't see what other category it could be thrown under - or even if it deserves a class rep to be honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

What school are ye in jimi_t?

School of Irish, Celtic Studies, Irish Folklore & Linguistics. The class is run by the head of the department, Danielle someone or other. Don't worry, no has ever heard of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Well then there are two people running for class rep in your constituency (1st Year Schools of Music and Irish, Celtic Studies, Irish Folklore & Linguistics i would assume) already. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you won't be able to run. Still though I'd advise talking to Deputy Dave to double check. Also I know he wants to have people in the small classes who'd be "unofficial" class reps if you will. And you can still get involved in any campaigns or help out with ents. There's always stuff to be done!

Byrno wrote:
    Well then there are two people running for class rep in your constituency (1st Year Schools of Music and Irish, Celtic Studies, Irish Folklore & Linguistics i would assume) already...

But there's class reps for Music and for Irish separately, as well as psychology, sociology and all those other subjects encompassed within the "Schools of Music and Irish, Celtic Studies, Irish Folklore & Linguistics" banner - why would Liberal Arts be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Cos theres only 11 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Zedd

Im going for 2nd Eng......against 4 or 5 other ppl though:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

VOTE ZEDD :D I'm not at all biased!!

jimi_t wrote:
    But there's class reps for Music and for Irish separately, as well as psychology, sociology and all those other subjects encompassed within the "Schools of Music and Irish, Celtic Studies, Irish Folklore & Linguistics" banner - why would Liberal Arts be any different?
    You've gotten bogged down in the word class. Tunnel vision. A constituncy is made up of a certain number of students. Some classes have this amount and are a constituency in and of themselves, other times a few classes are clumped together to make up numbers.
    The point isnt to represent classes, its to represent students

Ah, so we're probably in with Chinese, Welsh, Canadian studies and linguistics et al.. Marvellous. Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

jimi_t wrote:
    Ah, so we're probably in with Chinese, Welsh, Canadian studies and linguistics et al.. Marvellous. Ah well

I do know many departments do have something along the likes of a ''staff/student committee'' with a couple of students on this to basically discuss and recieve feedback from both parties on all types of aspects about a subject. Ask your respective department if there's anything like this and express an interest, it could be just as productive as being a SU class rep as some of them generally don't do anything for their class/constituency at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Anyone know any of the people running in 1st science? Don't recognise any of the names myself, and only 2 of them had posters up on friday.

I do know many departments do have something along the likes of a ''staff/student committee'' with a couple of students on this to basically discuss and recieve feedback from both parties on all types of aspects about a subject. Ask your respective department if there's anything like this and express an interest, it could be just as productive as being a SU class rep as some of them generally don't do anything for their class/constituency at all

That's what we have. Seems to work very well. That's how any changes to our course have been made.

Well, I was on the same one, and it was actually a load of BS. Recommendations were not acted on by staff, and most student reps just told the lecs how great they were or repeated questions already asked in lecturers. Of course there was the odd bit of pressure to mark certain exams easier.

The staff/student consultative forum in my experience is totally pointless in practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Have to disagree with you Kaptain Redeye, I've only had positive experience with staff/student committees in particular this year our staff are being very proactive in restarting ours this year with more student representation on it than ever before, I think it's a great way of getting your issues dealt with internally rather than having to go to the SU and working through outside bodies. We're having quite a few issues this year over various things that aren't particularly anybodys fault but our lecturers are being fanatastic about helping to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Zedd

gubbie wrote:
    VOTE ZEDD :D I'm not at all biased!!

WOOHOOO go gubbie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Have to disagree with you Kaptain Redeye, I've only had positive experience with staff/student committees in particular this year our staff are being very proactive in restarting ours this year with more student representation on it than ever before, I think it's a great way of getting your issues dealt with internally rather than having to go to the SU and working through outside bodies. We're having quite a few issues this year over various things that aren't particularly anybodys fault but our lecturers are being fanatastic about helping to sort it out.

I'd have to agree with Kap, from personal experience. And God help you if you didn't have a notion what they were talking about, because you (a lowly student) shouldn't ask if you don't already know. :rolleyes:

The School has changed a bit since then.

well I didnt have to deal with any course restructuring. But I had a couple of issues about lack of communication. For example I made the very simple point that lecturers couldnt release exam results until after the <cant remember name> committee met. The staff knew when the date for the meeting was before exams even started. A lot of students were checking sis daily, some more regularly :)
    So I suggested a little email or black board bulliten setting out the earliest possible exam results date.

This wasnt acted upon as posting results is a matter for Admin.
    That was a simple example. I experienced a lot of similar tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I'm with the Kap. The Quinn fora only meet twice or three times a year anyway so the same stuff gets brought up every year, the admins go "Oh, yeah, we'll get on that" and then the same stuff gets brought up the next year with the new reps. The admins play dumb on any problems and create the perpetual illusion of doing something without ever actually lifting a finger except to arrange the pointless little meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

With staff/student committees it really depends on the general soundness of the department your dealing with. Some of them will work with you, some of them won't give a toss.
    My department are generally very oen to suggestions and the like (thank god).

• Advertisement

Water fountain in q001 isnt going to be fixed any time soon. I could be cynical but its a bit fishy that the room nicknamed the sauna has the only vending machines and only fountain in quinn, and the fountain doesnt work anymore :)

Advertisement