Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's running for class rep?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Yeah, was beaten quite comprehensively by someone called Laura Roe.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Well when you're parachuted into a 3rd year class like he was that you haven't been in since the beginning you are likely to run up against someone with a much more extensive network of friends in the class than you have. So it's no great surprise. He is a loss to Council though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Well when you're parachuted into a 3rd year class like he was that you haven't been in since the beginning you are likely to run up against someone with a much more extensive network of friends in the class than you have. So it's no great surprise. He is a loss to Council though.

Point of information..

She wasn't in the class last year or the year before either. She was on Erasmus last year, according to her leaflet, so wouldn't have known the class at all.

Scully must just be rubbish, that's my opinion. :P

hmmm...might he run for chair instead? rumour mill, rumour mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

For those of us from before his time, can someone give us a quck bio of him?

Oh, and Vainglory, since we are discussing rumours, is there any truth to the one that says that, you have yours brown eyes on the Chair?

Fergal Scully was President of the SU in 2004/2005.
    Currently a final year Soc Sci student.
    Eats kittens, other small animals.

Me, chair? Only if the only other person running has the initials PF.

• Advertisement

Vainglory wrote:
    Fergal Scully was President of the SU in 2004/2005.
    Currently a final year Soc Sci student.
    Eats kittens, other small animals.

Me, chair? Only if the only other person running has the initials PF.
    aah that's mean. He'd be grand, he practically (re)wrote the constitution, and he's too idealistic to play favorites

aah that's mean. He'd be grand, he practically (re)wrote the constitution, and he's too idealistic to play favorites

Seriously, it wouldn't be mean.

Sure, he re-wrote the constitution, but that doesn't mean what he wrote was any good.

He's chaired council in the past and been far, far too stringent with standing orders to allow for a good flow of debate and discussion. One might even say anal.

Vainglory wrote:
    He's chaired council in the past and been far, far too stringent with standing orders to allow for a good flow of debate and discussion. One might even say anal.
    While he does seem to be the very definition of anal, adhering to the rules is not a bad thing. People who bend the rules always do it in favour of one group over another.

While he does seem to be the very definition of anal, adhering to the rules is not a bad thing. People who bend the rules always do it in favour of one group over another.

Nah.

When Fergal was chair he wasn't anal about the rules, and pretty much anyone (right or left or nothing at all) who you ask will say that he did an excellent job; unbiased and not enslaved to the rules either, ensuring that things went smoothly in general.

I would say "wait and see" about Pierce, but he won't get elected.

Vainglory wrote:
    I would say "wait and see" about Pierce, but he won't get elected.
    Are you sure? He only causes feelings of intense contempt and wannakickhimness in close quarters. I think its pheromones.
    The thing is, he's well known as the referendum guy, and would probably be better known to first and second years than Scully.

• Advertisement

Are you sure? He only causes feelings of intense contempt and wannakickhimness in close quarters. I think its pheromones.
    The thing is, he's well known as the referendum guy, and would probably be better known to first and second years than Scully.

If I was a betting (wo)man I'd place a lot of money on Pierce not being elected, yeah.

Any second years who were on council/involved in the union last year would know Scully as much as Pierce. Second years who weren't on council or involved in the union last year MIGHT know Pierce because of his involvement in the constitutional referendum (you know there has to be another referendum on the constitution this year to fix the mistakes he made last year, right?) but I don't think they'd care too much.

I don't really see how first years would know either of them.

A bad chair makes for a bad council. It's a more important position than I used to previously think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Wasnt Fergal chair before and he didnt do the best job?From what I can remember he took away Niall Dolans speaking rights illegally and couldnt control conor mc gowan at all (but then who can:rolleyes: :) ) .
    I think its really important to be strict on rules or otherwise it will turn into the zoo it was at last council.At least one thing we can be sure with Pierce is he will stick to the rules and will run a pretty tight ship. I dont think council should be this informal,chilled out, relaxed place.Its a place of buissness in which buisness should be sone as quick and effectively as possible.
    I definatly wouldnt call Fergal 'unbiased' either.While Im sure he's a nice bloke he most undoubtly is biased as he has quite strong affiliations to the left. At least pierce is in No mans land with political affiliations as I could never work out wether he was right or left.I suppose a bit of both.
    Pierce did a great job with the constitution last year.Without it we would have no pro's and wouldnt have the record number of reps in place for this year.You cant say that he doesnt have commitment to the union,something which the chair has to have. He's a serious,intense bloke which I suppose scares alot of people but council needs someone who IS serious and not afraid to shut people up when they need shutting up.
    I'd definatly like to see Pierce get it cos at the end of the day he's a sound bloke who gets a lot of slack.
    Anywho,Im missing the first council cos of a damn mcq....at 7 in the evening....so unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

panda100 wrote:
    Wasnt Fergal chair before and he didnt do the best job?From what I can remember he took away Niall Dolans speaking rights illegally and couldnt control conor mc gowan at all (but then who can:rolleyes: :) ) .
    I think its really important to be strict on rules or otherwise it will turn into the zoo it was at last council.At least one thing we can be sure with Pierce is he will stick to the rules and will run a pretty tight ship. I dont think council should be this informal,chilled out, relaxed place.Its a place of buissness in which buisness should be sone as quick and effectively as possible.
    I definatly wouldnt call Fergal 'unbiased' either.While Im sure he's a nice bloke he most undoubtly is biased as he has quite strong affiliations to the left. At least pierce is in No mans land with political affiliations as I could never work out wether he was right or left.I suppose a bit of both.
    Pierce did a great job with the constitution last year.Without it we would have no pro's and wouldnt have the record number of reps in place for this year.You cant say that he doesnt have commitment to the union,something which the chair has to have. He's a serious,intense bloke which I suppose scares alot of people but council needs someone who IS serious and not afraid to shut people up when they need shutting up.
    I'd definatly like to see Pierce get it cos at the end of the day he's a sound bloke who gets a lot of slack.
    Anywho,Im missing the first council cos of a damn mcq....at 7 in the evening....so unfair!

And he's been cleaning the corridor and some cupboard that was really messy beside the accomodation office.
    Now thats dedication.
    And most people won't know who he is because there's so many new people. About 100 easily. They can go either way

gubbie wrote:
    And he's been cleaning the corridor and some cupboard that was really messy beside the accomodation office.
    Woah that is dedication.....I wonder if he'll clean out my room while he's at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Vainglory wrote:
    .Me, chair? Only if the only other person running has the initials PF.

There are a huge amount of ppl with the exact same attitude, not a chance he'll get elected. Whatever about noobs, he'll get virtually none from other councillors.

panda100 wrote:
    Pierce did a great job with the constitution last year.Without it we would have no pro's and wouldnt have the record number of reps in place for this year.

While the principle of his changes were generally good, they are riddled with problems.

1 He abolished the part time postgrad evening officer (wont come into effect til next year), and included a description for a new full time one without creating the position (never changed the "there are 5 sabbatical officers" line essentially)

2 He created the POs but virtually gave them no duties. They do go to exec but they don't sit on it officially, they're "invited"

3 Class reps generally goood but nowhere near perfect, made it quite difficult to sort out Arts constituencies. There was a time when it could have been a blanket 10 first Arts reps etc, in no way split up by subjects. The differnet ratio for first Arts against the rest of Arts wasn't a good idea. I could go on about this one but no need for a thesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

panda100 wrote:
    I definatly wouldnt call Fergal 'unbiased' either.While Im sure he's a nice bloke he most undoubtly is biased as he has quite strong affiliations to the left. At least pierce is in No mans land with political affiliations as I could never work out wether he was right or left.I suppose a bit of both.!

In all fairness I don't remember seeing you at any meetings of council last year. Fergal never let his personal political beliefs/affiliations/whatever influence him in chairing council. And anyone, right or left will tell you that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

In all fairness I don't remember seeing you at any meetings of council last year. Fergal never let his personal political beliefs/affiliations/whatever influence him in chairing council. And anyone, right or left will tell you that much.

I also concur.

I thought that Paddy was chair?

Yeah, Fergal steped down as chair towards the end of last year and Paddy was elected chair then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I think aside from Fergal's three minutes of madness (trying to move a Procedural Motion when Standing Orders were raised, and also doing so as Chair which he can't do at all) at Council last year he did a really firm job. There was always a measure of respect for the speaker when Fergal was up top and he was always a pleasure to officiate with.
    Not that Paddy wasn't either, of course, but Fergal really kept things going very well last year and was always willing to offer a titbit of knowledge to a new Secretary with very little knowledge of the Union's inner workings.

Also, it's the same story as every year regarding Pierce and chair. He'll go, get the newbie votes, and be shunned by everyone else. He's lost both of the last two votes for Chair (at the inaugural Councils, that is) by 59 votes to 7.

Oh, and who could control Conor McGowan? I'm sure Panda did a pretty good job at it tbh! :p

• Advertisement

Oh, and who could control Conor McGowan? I'm sure Panda did a pretty good job at it tbh! :p
    yeah goddamn maybe I should run for chair :p

Well I guess if people say Fergal isnt biased then he isnt biased and may the best man/women win!Personally I'd like to see a women getting it and though I know she'll probably want to get her speaking rights would like to see prettymonster doing the job.Fergals never been a big fan of mine so I guess I wont be doing to much talking in council this year:)

I went to about three council meetings at the start of last year.You didnt know me then so probably wouldnt have recognized me :)

panda100 wrote:

Well I guess if people say Fergal isnt biased then he isnt biased and may the best man/women win!Personally I'd like to see a women getting it and though I know she'll probably want to get her speaking rights would like to see prettymonster doing the job.Fergals never been a big fan of mine so I guess I wont be doing to much talking in council this year:)

Ah, y'know me I'd literally keel over of a stroke if I had to stand up the front all impartial and keep my mouth shut.

And why would Fergal being chair (though he is of course not chair yet, nor do we even know if he's running) stop you from talking much?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I'd agree with Vainglory (SHOCK HORROR!!) that Scully was an excellent chair. I'd be delighted to see him take the job again. Because (especially with large numbers on council) keeping order is essential to it being any way meaningful.

Also I'm surprised that his opponent for class rep was also a parachutee (for want of a better phrase). It may have been as simple as she had posters around, and he didn't.

I'd agree with Vainglory (SHOCK HORROR!!) that Scully was an excellent chair. I'd be delighted to see him take the job again. Because (especially with large numbers on council) keeping order is essential to it being any way meaningful.

Also I'm surprised that his opponent for class rep was also a parachutee (for want of a better phrase). It may have been as simple as she had posters around, and he didn't.

A parachutee??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Pierce been reading the comments about the position of Chair and he has "replied" on the newswire.

http://www.ucdsu.net/newswire.php?story_id=1262&condense_comments=false#comment10622

Chakar wrote:
    Pierce been reading the comments about the position of Chair and he has "replied" on the newswire.

http://www.ucdsu.net/newswire.php?story_id=1262&condense_comments=false#comment10622

Is there anyone who doesnt read boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

panda100 wrote:
    Is there anyone who doesnt read boards!!
    Girl beside me in the library is on boards too, rarely a day goes by you dont spot someone. And The Minister has been everywhere Ive gone recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

panda100 wrote:
    A parachutee??

I think he means that she "dropped" into the year. She went on erasmus b4 final year soc sci so wasn't in that class b4. C it would've made more senes that he lost if she'd been in that year all along but she hadn't. A shocking defeat really. Well I'm not shocked, but other ppl seem to be...

• Advertisement

And The Minister has been everywhere Ive gone recently too.
    If you would just give in and tell me what sort of cologne you wear, I'd stop following you:rolleyes:

Advertisement