Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Wifi Hotspots

• 30-09-2006 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

Anyone come across wireless networks that show up as "eircom" with 2 groups of 4 numbers after it? eg "eircom 1234 5678".

I have spotted these in a few locations in Limerick and Cork, are these wireless hotspots? The all seem to have WEP turned on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

no i believe they are peoples personal wireless routers. Its the standard SSID on an eircom Netopia Wireless router....
    To the best of my knowledge!

You has to pay for a wireless hotspot account subscription anyway before you can use them anyway. So it wouldnt surprise me if Hotspots were WEP protected also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They're most likely private Eircom customer's A.P.'s
    Most hotspots will not have WEP or WPA enabled - you connect to the Internet through their gateway which enforces payment/login.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

mathew wrote:
    no i believe they are peoples personal wireless routers. Its the standard SSID on an eircom Netopia Wireless router....
    To the best of my knowledge!

You has to pay for a wireless hotspot account subscription anyway before you can use them anyway. So it wouldnt surprise me if Hotspots were WEP protected also.
    Yup, as my eircom/Netopia router shows the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Anyone come across wireless networks that show up as "eircom" with 2 groups of 4 numbers after it? eg "eircom 1234 5678".

I have spotted these in a few locations in Limerick and Cork, are these wireless hotspots? The all seem to have WEP turned on.
    I've noticed these numbers all over the place in WiFi space. Walk down any street in any city and you'll generally be in range of an eircom WiFi box. One suspects that the idiots who purchase eircom WiFi routers are having their personal identifying data squirted all over the place. Most WiFi security (WEP is a joke) is easily hackable enabling one to access everything that the eircom customer does online and match it to a unique identifier.

It smells to me as if eircom are in breach of dataprivacy.ie regulations by seeding kit with unique identifying data in these circumstances. One wonders what, if anything, the people at dataprivacy.ie are doing to enforce the law?

.probe

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

probe wrote:
    I've noticed these numbers all over the place in WiFi space. Walk down any street in any city and you'll generally be in range of an eircom WiFi box. One suspects that the idiots who purchase eircom WiFi routers are having their personal identifying data squirted all over the place. Most WiFi security (WEP is a joke) is easily hackable enabling one to access everything that the eircom customer does online and match it to a unique identifier.

It smells to me as if eircom are in breach of dataprivacy.ie regulations by seeding kit with unique identifying data in these circumstances. One wonders what, if anything, the people at dataprivacy.ie are doing to enforce the law?

.probe

Probably very little if anything -I doubt if any law is being broken by Eircom supplying routers with wireless on and a default network name being broadcast? - surely the people who are potentially in the wrong are the people who would attempt to hack into a wireless network? and surely there is no difference between trying to hack into a network that has been purposely set up and one that is set up by default? Particularly when in both cases there is security on them?

I think the better option in this case would be for Eircom to supply all wireless routers with the default being wireless off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement