Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-mail access only without Internet

• 30-09-2006 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Ok a friend ahs asked me to setup 2 pc;s to share dSL and printers/files but only want outlook e-mail acees on these as he does not want he kids to ahve any internet access, skype, aol

Just e-mail

Whats the best way to set this up?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Block port 80 going to one machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

what about blcing skype, msn and the rest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah sounds like a job for your router alright.
    I'd block everything to/from that machine, then only open the ports you need for email... pop/smtp then whatever else for authentication if you need it (ssl?)
    I'd also consider using a limited windows account, might stop them from installing stuff like skype in the first place... and lesson the impact if they do open a dodgy attachment.
    It's not something I've played around with yet, sounds like fun though. :)

My approach instead was to just install ubuntu on the noob machine... they'll never figure out how to install anything :D (nor hopefully will the web ads claiming to protect from blah blah)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

would be a nice pain really
    youd need better than your Eircom Netopia or BT Zyxel router for the rules and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By a router off Komplett. They're not too expensive. The Linksys ones are nice imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah I dunno what these routers are capable of config-wise... but the one I got with Smart broadband seems quite well featured.
    There are software-only options aswell... I think mcaffee/norton/zonealarm have application passwords so you can setup the rules locally and password protect the configuration.
    Though perhaps not the most secure way of going about it... I suppose it depends on who you're trying to stop and how determined they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah sounds like a job for your router alright. :)
    My approach instead was to just install ubuntu on the noob machine...
    you'd probably use thunderbird for the email then.

backup and defrag the windows machine
    get a knoppix bootable CD

click on the penguin to get a root terminal ( like a DOS command prompt )
    in it type qtparted
    ( or just K, run , qtparted - but using the terminal you see error messages )

in qtparted right click on your partition and resize it - 10GB if you can spare it

comit changes

when you reboot windows will do a disk check because it was told to
    when you are happy windows is still there,
    reboot from the ubuntu cd

when it settles down check that stuff works and then click on install
    choose the option to use the largest continuous free space

you'd probably use thunderbird for the email then.
    Yeah I use thunderbird on my windows machine aswell, but the ubuntu guest machine isn't setup with any pop accounts... people just use webmail.
    It's fine aswell, nobody cares that it's not windows... once the web is there, it's all good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or you could block DNS and the gateway and only allow a route to the email server.

use ipconfig to get your network settings
    use ping mail.eircom.net to get the ip address eg: 159.134.198.135

Gateway
    in the network card TCP/IP properties setup the card address something like
    Address 192.168.1.55 ( the first three stay the same - 55 or another number - can't use 1 or 2 since the existing PC's may use it and don't use the number the gateway was set to
    Mask 255.255.255.0 ( unchanged )
    gateway 0.0.0.0 ( so can't see anything )

Finally setup a route to the email server
    route add -p 159.134.198.135 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1
    ( the 192.168.1.1 was the address of the gateway )
    Type in route print to see if all went well

if DNS is turned off in TCP/IP then you can't find the internet
    EDIT the \windows\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts file. ( it's a text file with NO extension - watch out notepad will add a .txt to it if you are not careful. )
    add the line
    159.134.198.135 mail.eircom.net
    to it - now this is the only site that can be found unless you know the number of a site.

Advertisement