Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G problem with unlocked fone & Vodafone

• 30-09-2006 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a motorola V3x. It's originally a 3 phone, but I got it unlocked and I now have it on Vodafone. My problem is that I can't get onto the 3G network. I spoke to Vodafone customer care & they told me they can't send me the 3G settings for some unknown reason. I can get GPRS no problem though. I can even see the 3G symbol on my phone, so it sees it alright.

Is there any way I can manually put in the settings?

Thanx.

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

sturgo wrote:
    Hi, I have a motorola V3x. It's originally a 3 phone, but I got it unlocked and I now have it on Vodafone. My problem is that I can't get onto the 3G network. I spoke to Vodafone customer care & they told me they can't send me the 3G settings for some unknown reason. I can get GPRS no problem though. I can even see the 3G symbol on my phone, so it sees it alright.

Is there any way I can manually put in the settings?

Thanx.

S

If you can see the 3G symbol you are on Vodafone's 3G network?

GPRS and 3G use the same setting, if you access points are set to isp.vodafone.ie and live.vodafone.com then you have set everything up correctly.

Do you mean that Vodafone Live doesn't work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I've downloaded the Vodafone MMS settings, I still can't connect to vodafone live. Even though the phone is unblocked, I think 3 are somehow blocking my GPRS access.

Anyone know how I can overide this???

sturgo wrote:
    I've downloaded the Vodafone MMS settings, I still can't connect to vodafone live. Even though the phone is unblocked, I think 3 are somehow blocking my GPRS access.

Anyone know how I can overide this???

Can't connect at all or do you get a page with just text?

For Vodafone Live you need to use the live.vodafone.com APN and not isp.vodafone.ie

yeah, i'm using live.vodafone.com. no joy.

sturgo wrote:
    yeah, i'm using live.vodafone.com. no joy.

As per my previous msg, can you be specific, i.e. Can't connect at all or do you get a page with just text?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe this might help:
    WAP/live! browsing over GPRS (Motorola V3x)
    1 Press the centre of the joypad to bring you into the Menu
    2 Scroll to Vodafone live!. Press the middle button to OK.
    3 Scroll to Internet Profiles. Press the middle button to OK.
    4 Scroll to [New Entry]. Press the middle button to OK.
    5 Scroll to Name. Enter "Vodafone Live!".
    6 Scroll to Homepage. Enter "http://live.vodafone.com".
    7 Scroll to Service Type 1. Choose "HTTP".
    8 Scroll to Gateway IP 1. Enter "10.24.59.100".
    9 Scroll to Port 1. Enter "80".
    10 Scroll to Service Type 2. Choose "HTTP".
    11 Scroll to Port 2. Enter "80".
    12 Scroll to Timeout. Choose"5 minutes".
    13 Scroll to Speed 1. Choose "9600".
    14 Scroll to Line Type 1. Choose "Modem".
    15 Scroll to GPRS APN. Enter "live.vodafone.com".
    16 Scroll to User Name. Enter "dublin".
    17 Scroll to Password. Enter "dublin".
    18 Press Done.
    19 Select Options Press and choose "Set Default" and press Select
    20 Press Back 3 times to bring you back to the idle display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Slightly different problem with my unlocked phone. I unlocked an LG and inserted my vodafone chip, I can use it outside 3g areas but it refuses to connect to vodafone's 3g sefvice to make calls, is this similar to above

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

@Sturgo ...Have Vodafone actually Provisioned you for 3g services? ..

JohnnieM wrote:
    @Sturgo ...Have Vodafone actually Provisioned you for 3g services? ..

I think they must have. I've spoken to customer care three times already. For some reason GPRS doesn't work either. I'm begining to think 3 have some kind of an internet block on the phone.

sturgo wrote:
    I think they must have. I've spoken to customer care three times already. For some reason GPRS doesn't work either. I'm begining to think 3 have some kind of an internet block on the phone.

Just get it reflashed with generic firmware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

if your not on 3g its simply 1 of 2 things

1) your handset is set to be on 2g only
    go to settings -> network -> network mode to change which network its on.

2) 3g isnt available in your current location (of which nothing can be done about it)

your problem has nothing to do with mms settings, live settings or any kind of handset settings, so dont bother with it. If your in an area that normaly has 3g, then just change your handset to be on that network

The 3G logo appears on my screen most of the time. 3G is definately available in my area. I can get 3G with my 3 sim card.

I reckon vodafone 3G and GPRS access have been blocked by 3, as it's a 3 handset.

Anyway around this?

sturgo wrote:
    The 3G logo appears on my screen most of the time. 3G is definately available in my area. I can get 3G with my 3 sim card.

I reckon vodafone 3G and GPRS access have been blocked by 3, as it's a 3 handset.

Anyway around this?

As stated earlier: Just get it reflashed with generic firmware

Can you make video calls on the Vodafone network?

skearon wrote:
    As stated earlier: Just get it reflashed with generic firmware

Can you make video calls on the Vodafone network?

looks like my only option. the guy who unlocked it said it would take 2 days. can anyone recomend a place that could do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Sounds like a problem my mate had , he got a Motorola V975 or V980 cant remember on 3 Pay . Got it unlocked and he would set manual network and it would stay on it for 10 mins they knock it off and this only happened when in 3G areas. When he was out in the stix where they only had 2.5 the phone was fine . There must be a thing in it that keeps trying to lock onto 3 network. In the end he just stayed with 3Pay instead of VF.

sturgo wrote:
    looks like my only option. the guy who unlocked it said it would take 2 days. can anyone recomend a place that could do this?

If you have USB cable that came with phone you can flash itself to generic, though it will cost a few Euros, PM me with your IMEI if you are interested.

Advertisement