Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know this bird?

Options
  • 30-09-2006 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,
    I spotted this bird a few weeks back and was just curious if anybody knew what it was: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44177339@N00/256605544/

I had a feeling it was a young bird, as it just sat there and I was able to get really close to it. It was sitting on the beach in Allihies County Cork, and was about the size of a large gull. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hard to tell but it must be a young shag or cormorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Nice shot! My vote is it's a 1st year gannet.

Although adults (3 year+) are largly white, the juveniles are mostly dark / speckled.

Here's a photo of another juvenile - you can see some of the speckling is similar:
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3057/1025/1600/gannet2.jpg

(Picture from here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Thanks, unfortunately I was experimenting with film, so it's a bit grainy and the colours are off. But yeah, I had a feeling it might be a gannet, as it was bigger than a cormorant, and it had a slightly different beak (although I'm no expert). Plus there's the Skelligs not too far up the coast, with loads of gannets, so maybe it'd come down from there. Is it common to see them alone like this or was it a bit screwed, do you think?

Thanks for the help guys!

Nice shot!

Hey, I wasn't joking - much better than the pathetic images I normally take :)

I don't know a lot about gannets, but they some to be formidable fliers and were all over West Cork a few weekends ago while I was down there so I am sure Allihies is well within range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Do gannets head out to sea at this time of year or are there some stragglers left around?

• Advertisement

Roen wrote:
    Do gannets head out to sea at this time of year or are there some stragglers left around?

I think they head out to sea for winter, but certainly a few weeks ago I saw dozens of them to-ing and fro-ing along the West Cork and Kerry coast.

By the way, if you see gannets diving into the see, feeding, then keep an eye out for Dolphins/Porpoises/Whales ... they often share meals, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Hey, I wasn't joking - much better than the pathetic images I normally take :)

I don't know a lot about gannets, but they some to be formidable fliers and were all over West Cork a few weekends ago while I was down there so I am sure Allihies is well within range.

I got lucky, even trying to photograph spiders out the back garden is difficult!

Advertisement