Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think Villa/Martin O'Neil/Randy Lerner can achieve this year?

• 30-09-2006 9:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Swap Doug Ellis, Dave O'Leary and Milner for Randy Lerner, Martin O'Neil and Petrov how good can things really instantly get? Because excluding those changes Aston Villa have the same team that after last Season were many peoples "club thats too big to get relegated" but then goes down.

but now unbeaten after seven games which included Arsenal and Chelsea away and 100% at home new stars are seemingly emerging including the delight to pronounce (Gabby) as our striker on the flank with pace to burn.

Now with a very impressed new owner who owns his own credit card company looking to also prehaps flash his cash about europe in january maybe Villa fans should get usedto having tight games against "the top 4" everone seems to want to beak into.

so how good do you boardsters who like to predict results, predict Villa achievements for this Season? for the first time in a long time though while remaining Realistic us Villa fans seems to believe again...its a good feeling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think they will finished 5th this season. They look solid and O'Neill is getting the best of out what he's got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A draw at Stamford Bridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Respectable relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i can see (and hope to see) them get a UEFA Cup spot

i have always liked Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

i predict 6th/7th place.

squad is prob too shallow between now and christmas and they could have a dodgy period before they get to splash the cash in january.

o'neill is the best thing to happen villa since they came runners up in the league under G. Taylor.

and they deserve it. good luck to villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

o'neill is a sensational manager, will bring them close to Europe and probably close to some domestic trophy in the next few years too.

Petrov has been wasted on the scottish league for years, he is a fantasic player and will be a big hit at villa and the premiership, he is pure class and a great addition to any team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If they in top 4 at xmas he will buy and probably buy well.

Going with 5th at end of season.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ziggy67 wrote:
    Yawn, lets have a needless pop at the league which brought him on, how dare the Scottish league have a quality player. His diving is better suited to the Premiership though.

He will do well but he didn't like being shunted out on the right side under O'Neill at Celtic & it won't be long before the petted lip comes out if it happens down there.

I think Villa will qualify for Europe through league postion and/or one of the cups. O'Neill has a good record in the league cup .

You should definitley avoid yesterdays Star when Petrov says the exact same thing.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I thought Agbonlahor was a new signing? Did he come through the ranks?

Kdjac, Petrov said in the Star that every year people in Bulgaria were crying for him to move to a better league. Anyway he wasn't Celtic's best player, Naka is. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Ya Gabby came through the ranks, he broke into the first team at the end of last season, hes a local brumie too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

ziggy67 wrote:
    Yawn, lets have a needless pop at the league which brought him on, how dare the Scottish league have a quality player. His diving is better suited to the Premiership though.

No one was having a pop at the Scottish league, its great it its own right, well around four or five games a year :D but its a realistic fact that the standard of football is of lesser quality and players like Petrov shine in the league because they are of such a higher quality
    Premiership will be step up but i think he has shown his quality already and a great workrate for the team

Maybe his 60 + caps for his country brought him on as a player too!!

Yawn-lets have a needless pop at so called diving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Petrov was an excellent player for Celtic. His international management were always asking him to play 'in the best league in the world (c) Sky'. He chose not to for years. He is only at Villa now because of Martin O'Neill.

I am always amazed at the EPL viewers appear to have such an in-depth knowledge of the SPL that they claim a player is wasted playing for Celtic. The EPL lovers said the same thing about Larsson when he snubbed the EPL and chose to stay with Celtic. He lacked ambition apparantly. Not world class because he did not play in the EPL...Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I can't really believe that the likes of Ridgewell, Angel and Hughes will be able to keep up the level of performace they've shown to date. That said, if Villa can last until January, they have a chance. I'll give them 7th place.

Martin O'Neill to replace Fergie in a few years time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Mid Table mediocrity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

kraggy wrote:
    o'neill is the best thing to happen villa since they came runners up in the league under G. Taylor.
    Think you mean Big Ron in '94 ;)
    Stekelly wrote:
    Respectable relegation.
    What wonderful insight however I'd be inclined to disagree. I'm sure you'd get great odds on that though :rolleyes:

Make no mistake, the Villa squad is threadbare and injuries & suspension will hurt us bad especially if its our bigger players. Ii think we've enough to get to January, hopefully then MON will bring in a coupla extra squad players, there's also Lee Hendrie on loan at Stoke who will be drafted back if he gets sharp.

It's great being a Villa fan these days but let's be realistic, Top 10 would be a target, anything above that would be a master stroke. We're just in a bunch of the middle teams in the Premiership, any 1 from 15 could finish in Top 5 just depends who has the momentum come the new year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Skys the limit for Villa in the next few seasons, this season I'd settle for 11th to 6th, I don't think the Squad is capable of better than 6th tbh.

I'd be wary of splashing out huge money for big named playes in January though, its interesting to contrast Villa's start with that of West Ham. They signed two world class players and seems to have unsettled the team. Villa's only addition was Petrov who seems to have fitted straight in which in fairness is probably down to the fact he has worked with the coaching staff for years.

Martin O'Neill has picked almost the same team every week, with only Laursen and Hughes been in and out, I think that has been a big part of the good start, how we will deal with injuries and suspenions will be interesting.

Up the Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

irish1 wrote:
    I'd be wary of splashing out huge money for big named playes in January

Can't see that happening anytime soon. MON is shrewd with his signings and he'll be aware the whole world now knows Villa have financial backing so that means clubs will no doubt try hard ball tactics holding out for more money. If you're not careful you end up paying way over the odds for average players and I can't see O' Neill playing that game...

Advertisement