Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow speed from wireless router

• 30-09-2006 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My connection speed is a lot slower when i connect wirelessly to my router compared to when i'm wired is this usual?

I ran a speed check and when i am connected using the Ethernet i'm getting 2.81Mbps, but when i connect through a the wireless connection i'm only getting 1.82Mbps, do i need to change some setting or is this to be expected from a wireless router.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No, this isn't to be expected..

You probably have a 3mb connection to the internet. The connection between you and your wireless router should be between 11mb/s and 54mb/s (or more), so should not be throttling your access to the internet at all.

Your loss of speed would suggest that instead of getting 11-54mb/s connection to your router, you're getting 2mb or less when connected wirelessly.

Run a trace to a website when connected via wire, and when connected via wireless, and post the details..
    From the command line:
    tracert www.boards.ie

Or else use something like NetStumbler to look at what other networks in the area may be broadcasting on the same channel, and change the channel, as appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Thanks Krusty, It'll be tonight before, i can try this so i'll let you now how i get on.
    My router is a Linksys WRTP54G, so i'm sure it's not a problem with the speed of the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry, I didn't mean a problem with the speed of the router, but instead a problem with the speed that the router is operating at, due to other/external influences, such as other networks using the same channel..

Is your Broadband supplied by Eircom? Most Eircom routers default to the same channel (6 I think) and as such, that frequency range can be quite congested (still don't know why som many people go with Eircom?!).. But I guess that this isnt the case ín your scenario, as you're using a Linksys router.. Is your provider NTL?

Maybe you should try various levels of security and see how they affect your speed.. e.g.: None, WEP, WPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Yeah my BB is with NTL, I have WPA security enabled as i want the network to be secure, and i think the channel was set to 11.

Advertisement