Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America as Big Brother

Options
  • 30-09-2006 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5395928.stm

EU-US airline data talks collapse

Talks between the United States and the European Union on transferring airline passengers information and data have broken down, according to EU officials.

After 9/11, US authorities demanded that airlines provide personal passenger data for all inbound flights.

An earlier agreement was ruled to be illegal by the highest European court. The deadline for a new deal was today.

<snip>

=====

Can't understand why the EU isn't offering a "You show us yours and we'll show you ours" deal - if the Americans will give details of all *their* travellers, we could give them details of ours.

Of course, this would scupper the whole silly thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

To be honest the info they're looking for looks like it would be more useful for marketing companies trying to target sell products to the European visitors rather than national security.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Fair play ECJ, that kind of information isn't something that should be bartered for with more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

clown bag wrote:
    To be honest the info they're looking for looks like it would be more useful for marketing companies trying to target sell products to the European visitors rather than national security.

EXACTLY.

Thats the prob EU has with it doesn't ave any guarantees who else in the US wil use the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I just heard on tv that Aer Lingus are still sending data to the US authorities. Apparently their web site says so too. I think it's pretty spineless of them considering the situation hasn't been resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aslantheslayer

When I first saw this post I imagined Davina and the BB house.

I can just see it now, THis is Big Brother (In a George Bush Accent) todays task is to tie you up, blindfold you and see if your a terrorist. If you win we will not kill you, i mean Evict you. If you loose we will invade your country!

Seriously though I cant see this going on for too long, America and the EU need each other, But I see the UK has done a special deal.

Is this the EU trying to be a world player and superpower?

• Advertisement
Advertisement