Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband through extensions

Options
  • 30-09-2006 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

at our office we have lots of extensions, and only extensions up there. we recently signed up for broadband and our line was activated. but we cannot pick up a dsl link, i think its because we are on an extension. anyone else every experience this? and if so do they know a way around it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Are the extensions serviced from a PBX/PABX (switch board)? If so you'll have to install the BB modem on the line before the phone line enters the PABX unit. Install a splitter and run one cable to the PABX unit and the other to a phone socket where you can plug in the BB madem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

yeah they go through a pbx box, nicely located above a coke machine. i try to get up to it.

im just back from the shop. the place where the phone line comes in is a box above the coke machine. it is numbered 1-10 and is hardwired.

i took a few pics of it to show you what im up against.

so would this work. the number im using is number 0. should i take it out, strip the splitter and put the splitter into then put and rj11 on the cable and put it into the splitter?

i totally confused at this. lol

01102006.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Whatever you do, don't cut the red wire! D:

You actually need to have the DSL coming off the line before it goes into the PBX; after it goes into the PBX all hope is lost.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

inode wrote:
    at our office we have lots of extensions, and only extensions up there. we recently signed up for broadband and our line was activated. but we cannot pick up a dsl link, i think its because we are on an extension. anyone else every experience this? and if so do they know a way around it

If this involves your work then surely they should be paying to get this done professionally rather than relying on long distance advice from boards? If you do something that messes things up you are going to have a big bill anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

You have no idea of knowing which line on that Krone block is your BB line and Obviously you dont have the equipment to do the job anyway.(punch down tool etc)... As Dub 45 says.you should definitly hire a professional to do it for you....

well actually i know the BB line is number 0 and i do have a punch tool and a rj11/rj45 crimper. there is no before the pbx as far as i can see. will be giving eircom a buzz before i do anything.

Why are you ringing Eircom? Or should I say what exactly are you expecting from them? And if you knew what you were doing why are you posting on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The black wire with multiple pairs is likely the incomming line. See that it does NOT go to the PABX, but comes out of ground or across from pole etc.

The pair with the ADSL needs to into splitter ("line") and then back out (from "phone") to where you pulled it off the block.

The other output of splitter (ADSL filter) goes direct to the modem, but can go via spare wires on block. It must not connect to PABX at all.

Connect a phone to the pair of wires you think is correct line and ring the number.
    1) Verify that the PABX no-longer rings
    2) The temporary phone rings.

Then connect the filter as described without the tempory phone and ensure that the PABX once again DOES receive the call.

watty wrote:
    The black wire with multiple pairs is likely the incomming line. See that it does NOT go to the PABX, but comes out of ground or across from pole etc.

The pair with the ADSL needs to into splitter ("line") and then back out (from "phone") to where you pulled it off the block.

The other output of splitter (ADSL filter) goes direct to the modem, but can go via spare wires on block. It must not connect to PABX at all.

Connect a phone to the pair of wires you think is correct line and ring the number.
    1) Verify that the PABX no-longer rings
    2) The temporary phone rings.

Then connect the filter as described without the tempory phone and ensure that the PABX once again DOES receive the call.

Likely? Are you going to take responsibility if the poster follows your instructions and messes things up and incurs a cost for the business concerned?

A business should pay to get the job done properly then they have a comeback.

For a business to be looking for advice of this type on boards is ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

dub45, you are over-reacting.

1000s of posts of advice are made everyday on Boards.ie There is no-warrenty.

an analog phone line is no rocket science. He can't break the PABX doing this and at most/worst would end up paying no more than he would have paid in the beginning.

This is not 440VAC feeding a secure datacentre.

This is really not complicated. I have done this job myself countless times. However I have never offered a warrenty on any advice I have given here.

Sometimes I'm wrong. but so far this has not caused the world to end.

got to agree with watty. i would not hold him responsible if it didnt work. anyway eircom are sending out a tech in the next day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

inode wrote:
    got to agree with watty. i would not hold him responsible if it didnt work. anyway eircom are sending out a tech in the next day or two.

Probably best....

inode wrote:

I didn't for one minute think you were actually going ot send Watty a bill.

I was trying to point out the dangers of giving advice to someone who was going to be doing work on something that was not his own property.

If you were to mess up your switchboard your employer is not going to thank you for a day's chaos for the busines and the cost of repair.

Advertisement