Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest Car to Insure??

Options
  • 01-10-2006 12:01am

Hi, just a curious thought.

i know that every company applies different loadings to certain people, But does anyone have any clue or even wish to hazard a guess at the cheapest car to insure?

keeping mileage, licenses and NCBs fixed obviously

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I'd say the Fiat Ciquocentio (SP?), it's the smallest and cheapest car about i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Daewoo Matiz I'd reckon.

Alternativly, how about a Trabant? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

may not be suiteable for you, but i got myself a peugeot 306 carvan, that was the cheapest thing for me to insure with quinn direct
    1300 for that, or 2300 for a car

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The transparent system used in the Uk does not exist here. In the UK cars are given an insurance grouping and the insurance companys use this to help generate the risk on a policy.
    However, in Ireland each company uses their own list based on their own stats and don't reveal it to the public making it difficult to tell what is the least loaded car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kbannon wrote:
    The transparent system used in the Uk does not exist here. In the UK cars are given an insurance grouping and the insurance companys use this to help generate the risk on a policy.
    However, in Ireland each company uses their own list based on their own stats and don't reveal it to the public making it difficult to tell what is the least loaded car.

Thats interesting, presumably if its based on the same principles as the Irish insurers use, than the two sytems should be broadly similiar unless i'm missing something unique about irish drivers apart from being 21st out of 27 countries in road deaths per capita with Britain and Sweden lowest.
    Is there a web link where we can look up ratings per car?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

fewer seats, fewer opportunities to claim on your side. a friend of mine did a backflip when he found out how cheap it was to insure his MR2 turbo. this is a bloody mid-engined sports car!!
    insurance is based first and foremostly on the driver. for any 'normal' car, the quotes will be much of a muchness. this is why i hate to see well meaning parents directing their first-time-driver children to cinquecentos, kas and other silly cars.
    why not get a 316??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

cantdecide wrote:
    why not get a 316??

Why a 316? Why not any "proper" sized car? Once you have a full NCB, the kind of car is almost irrelevant, and there will only be a small variation between a 1.0 and 3.0.

The size of the engine make a big difference if you don't have an NCB and/or are on a provisional. For instance a friend was refused insurance by a particular insc co because his 1.25 fiesta was in their eyes a "performance car". It sounds like a tall tale, but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cantdecide wrote:
    fewer seats, fewer opportunities to claim on your side. a friend of mine did a backflip when he found out how cheap it was to insure his MR2 turbo. this is a bloody mid-engined sports car!!
    insurance is based first and foremostly on the driver. for any 'normal' car, the quotes will be much of a muchness. this is why i hate to see well meaning parents directing their first-time-driver children to cinquecentos, kas and other silly cars.
    why not get a 316??

Well saying that Cinquecento, Ka, etc are silly cars but then recommend a BMW 316. is a bit odd. A BMW with an underpowered 1.6 litre engine is just as silly imo. I supose if the badge is more important than the car itself then yes.

To the OP there really is no rule of thump when it comes to insurance companies assessing what is the cheapest car to insure. Alot of it has to do with the individual insuring the car just as much as the type of car itself. Things like age, sex, NCT, location all come into the equation with insurance companies. They then tend to mulitly by 5 and add 45 to come to your premium. Saying that a 1.0 Micra would not be as expensive as say a Skyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bazz26 wrote:
    Well saying that Cinquecento, Ka, etc are silly cars but then recommend a BMW 316. is a bit odd. A BMW with an underpowered 1.6 litre engine is just as silly imo. I supose if the badge is more important than the car itself then yes.

To the OP there really is no rule of thump when it comes to insurance companies assessing what is the cheapest car to insure. Alot of it has to do with the individual insuring the car just as much as the type of car itself. Things like age, sex, NCT, location all come into the equation with insurance companies. They then tend to mulitly by 5 and add 45 to come to your premium. Saying that a 1.0 Micra would not be as expensive as say a Skyline.

alright, screw it. we'll go all out. what about a 318 then?? maybe my point will be less invalid if i slightly adjust it.
    an underpowered bmw beats an underpowered roofed go-kart any day in spite of badge phobia/ inverted snobbery and it is a better badge and it certainly is a better car. i defy you to claim a Ka ia better than a BMW.

cantdecide wrote:
    alright, screw it. we'll go all out. what about a 318 then?? maybe my point will be less invalid if i slightly adjust it.
    an underpowered bmw beats an underpowered roofed go-kart any day in spite of badge phobia/ inverted snobbery and it is a better badge and it certainly is a better car. i defy you to claim a Ka ia better than a BMW.

This is going a bit OT. Nobody here claimed a Ka is better than a 316. The OP wants to know what is the cheapest car for him to insure.

I'm not a fan of the Ka or Micra but I can see the obvious reason why someone might get one when starting out and they are definately not silly in this case. They are cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to maintain and easy to learn to drive in. Once you build up your NCB you can move onto a car of your choice ie 316 or 318 if thats your thing.

• Advertisement

back to what the OP was asking,
    i forgot something with quinn,
    you will get different quotes based on how much your vehicle is worth,
    when i asked for insurance in a vehicle worth 1500, they said ok, that will cost you 1600 to insure..
    when i asked for insurance in the SAME vehicle worth 2500, they said ok, that will cost you 1300 to insure..

play around with quinn-directs online quote system, it takes a few minutes to fill out all info, but you can change car easily and as many times as you want afterwards and see the quote differences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Here are quotes that i got from quinn

Cars valued under €2500 get a higher premium

ie exact sme car with say the 1990 starlet valued at €2500 insu €1,532.61
    1990 starlet valued at €800 insu €2200+

i could get almost any 1.9 diesel for the same price as a 1.3 petrol €1,532.61
    a 1 liter car €1,338.43

but only if valued over 2500 and generally getting a car less than 10 years old helps.

DAEWOO-LANOS S 00W2507 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,532.61
    MITSUBISHI-COLT 1.3 GLI 92C1254 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    PEUGEOT-306 DIESEL SEDAN 96 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,532.61
    CITROEN-XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE 99TS1564 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,686.33
    OPEL-VECTRA GL 1.7 TD 96G121 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    MERCEDES-190 D 90RN297 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,686.33
    VOLKSWAGEN-JETTA C DIESEL 90C2544 Third Party, Fire & Theft €2,181.85
    DAEWOO-NUBIRA SE 99CN1404 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    TOYOTA-STARLET XL 90T Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,532.61
    RENAULT-MEGANE CLASSIC ALIZE 00TS1234 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    TOYOTA-CARINA E S 96C1234 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    FIAT-MAREA ELX 99C1548 Comprehensive €2,384.67
    OPEL-ASTRA GL DIESEL 95C24578 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    VOLKSWAGEN-POLO L 97C12544 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,532.61
    TOYOTA-COROLLA 1.3 GLI 97C5141 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    ROVER-214 SLI 16V 95C12345 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    TOYOTA-CARINA 2.0 XL D 96D12354 Third Party, Fire & Theft €2,018.00
    MERCEDES-240 E 06D21 Third Party, Fire & Theft €2,193.49
    ALFA ROMEO-146 TWIN SPARK 98KY5487 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,686.33
    AUDI-80 TD (75 BHP) 92D154 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,686.33
    DAEWOO-MATIZ SE 00C6548 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,338.43
    NISSAN-ALMERA SI 95D1325 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,532.61
    NISSAN-ALMERA GX DIESEL 95C1254 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,532.69
    NISSAN-ALMERA GX DIESEL 95C12345 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,251.85
    PEUGEOT-406 LX 97C1254 Third Party, Fire & Theft €2,219.80
    FORD-MONDEO LX TD 96C231 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,664.69
    ROVER-414 I 97D10002 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,648.05
    PEUGEOT-406 STDT DIESEL 97C1234 Third Party, Fire & Theft €2,037.79
    DAEWOO-NEXIA GLI 97C264 Third Party, Fire & Theft €1,547.68

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

so who decides the value of the car?
    how can that be measured?

Paulj wrote:
    so who decides the value of the car?
    how can that be measured?

i have done it over the phone and online, stated value of 90 starlet as €2000

it dosnt really matter with 3rd party ne way

and i it was comp you would only get the book value any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Smart Fortwo, has to be! 700cc engine!

so how cheap of a quote do you want???
    as i said, a 306 van, or maybe say maybe a golf van or a corolla van will be roughly €1000 for you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice investigative work there JoeySkully.

Was suprised at some of the figures..eg the Merc 190 being very similar in price to a Toyota Starlet to insure, know which one i'd prefer!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Longfield wrote:
    Is there a web link where we can look up ratings per car?
    Thatcham (UK Site) - www.thatcham.org/nvsr/index.jsp?page=200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eamon1

My brothers instructor set him up with a test that hibernian do and he passed it and got 600 off his insurance. He's still a provisonal but insured as a full licence holder. It's the same as the test but you get it quicker.:)

eamon1 wrote:
    My brothers instructor set him up with a test that hibernian do and he passed it and got 600 off his insurance. He's still a provisonal but insured as a full licence holder. It's the same as the test but you get it quicker.:)

Are you talking about the ignition course there? This has been around for a number of years now. It is a one day driving course afaik and if you pass Hibernian give you an extra discount off their insurance.

Cannot see how a provisional driver can be insured as a full licenced driver to be honest. If that was the case and it was that easy why would any one wait over 12 months on a waiting list for the driving test?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Cannot see how a provisional driver can be insured as a full licenced driver to be honest. If that was the case and it was that easy why would any one wait over 12 months on a waiting list for the driving test?

Axa / hibernian offer a pre ignition course for €70 its similar to the licence driving test and you get a grade after which then intitles you to a discount depending on the grade above fail theat you get.

Advertisement