Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tawdy on the Tramore Road!!

• 01-10-2006 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

tawdy1.JPG

tawdy2.JPG

tawdy3.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

They don't get more legendary that this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Roen wrote:
    They don't get more legendary that this!

They sure don't. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That's the face of Waterford right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ha! Brilliant!

Loving the hat! Oh hohoho - The irony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Tawdy for president!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

Tanabe wrote:
    Tawdy for president!:D

From the Mad Blaa site - Tawdy for Mayor!

tawdy1.jpg

mayor20robes20happy2ps3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

brillant

does he live out there?

how did ya get the pics of him without him shouting at you? (like he usually does to cars)

whats his stance of waterford hurling and wheres the best off licence?

magick wrote:
    brillant

does he live out there?

how did ya get the pics of him without him shouting at you? (like he usually does to cars)

whats his stance of waterford hurling and wheres the best off licence?

Tawdy don't shout at cars he only waves and is a gentleman.
    Next time your passng stop and have a chat with him and a couple of cans would also go a long way.;)
    I asked him if I could take his photograph and there was no objection and he posed for them, then he went down to my Mrs and shook her hand.

All he said to me at first was "I thought you were the detectives!!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

ah oul tawdy is a legend alright.

he's the only likeable wino/drunk around, the rest of them just get pissed in the city centre and start swearing and threatening passers-by, shammy being the prime example. tawdy just does his own thing and doesn't cause any trouble.

magick: yes, i think he sleeps in a shed somewhere in grace deiu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

He walks a fair distance passed on the bridge once while he was .... erm relieving himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

lol legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I have a lot of time for him to be honest. And I have to say, that first picture really makes him look like a loving/lovable guy. Great pics OP. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah yeah, when he used to live by the hospital, I used often talk to him on my walk home. He bloody hates Bee's :D

He has/had a family too. As long as your not an arse, he's grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Nice way to exploit the less better off in our society and then patronise him by handing him a few cans for letting you take his picture , we all know he's a nice guy but does he know his picture is up on the internet for all and sundry to comment on and have a laugh at ?

meldrew wrote:
    Nice way to exploit the less better off in our society and then patronise him by handing him a few cans for letting you take his picture , we all know he's a nice guy but does he know his picture is up on the internet for all and sundry to comment on and have a laugh at ?

:rolleyes:

meldrew wrote:

The answer to your question is Yes, he was told that his pic would be on the net not that he understood what the internet was about, yes he was told that he was a famous Waterford local person known worldwide and Yes we talked a lot about my family who he knew well and who in the past got him a job with the corporation.

There was no patronising and there was no intention of trying to make him out to be the village idiot as you are implying and if you look at my previous post you will see that I have called him a "Gentleman".

The photo's I think show to everyone worldwide what a kindly man he looks like and is and I think that they have been very welcomed on a number of Waterford sites with open arms and have been much appreciated!

With regards to the cans I was told that he would welcome them and many other people who stop to talk to Tawdy also similarly take along cans with them to give to him.

Now how much time of the day have YOU ever given Tawdy?!!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

meldrew wrote:

Lighten up FFS...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Larry-K

Well done on the photos... We'll all look back on them in 20 or 30 years time when the man himself might not be here... You've immortalised him... He'll never be forgotten...

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Great pics Seanie. Have to say they didn't make me laugh but just smile and cheered me up. Haven't seen Tawdy around in ages & glad he looks so happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 themainburger

I remember at christmas he had some empty cans hanging from the tree where he normally sits accross from Gracedieu and a small bit of tinsel, he was using them as decorations :( It was such a sad but touching thing to see, I honestly had a lump in my throat seeing it. I don't think I need to explain it much more than that, those that know him or saw it would understand I think. And at the same time he looked like he didn't have a care in the world. God bless him, they should name the road after Waterford's greatest hobo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

I remember at christmas he had some empty cans hanging from the tree where he normally sits accross from Gracedieu and a small bit of tinsel, he was using them as decorations :( It was such a sad but touching thing to see, I honestly had a lump in my throat seeing it. I don't think I need to explain it much more than that, those that know him or saw it would understand I think. And at the same time he looked like he didn't have a care in the world. God bless him, they should name the road after Waterford's greatest hobo :)

You've given me a lump in my throat reading that :( I often wonder that are some of these street drinkers happy in their own little world & do they sober up enough to feel total reality. Like if I went out tonight & got drunk & had a great time, woke up in the morning & rather than going to work start drinking again & kept up the cycle constantly & be always merry, drunk or sleeping. Just this is something I think about when I pass those who are drinking on the street so often, especially when you see someone buying cans of lager at 8:45 in Centra & they're already steamed up.

SeanieM wrote:
    The answer to your question is Yes, he was told that his pic would be on the net not that he understood what the internet was about, yes he was told that he was a famous Waterford local person known worldwide and Yes we talked a lot about my family who he knew well and who in the past got him a job with the corporation.

There was no patronising and there was no intention of trying to make him out to be the village idiot as you are implying and if you look at my previous post you will see that I have called him a "Gentleman".

The photo's I think show to everyone worldwide what a kindly man he looks like and is and I think that they have been very welcomed on a number of Waterford sites with open arms and have been much appreciated!

With regards to the cans I was told that he would welcome them and many other people who stop to talk to Tawdy also similarly take along cans with them to give to him.

Now how much time of the day have YOU ever given Tawdy?!!!
    Can we expect this to be part of a series ? Seanie m meets the "characters" of Waterford and puts them up on the internet so we can all say "Aw hes so cute" , armed with only only a few cans of cider our intrepid reporter shows us his compassion for these unfortunate souls
    Coming up in Part 2 "Shammy" - he's just misunderstood really "

meldrew wrote:
    Can we expect this to be part of a series ? Seanie m meets the "characters" of Waterford and puts them up on the internet so we can all say "Aw hes so cute" , armed with only only a few cans of cider our intrepid reporter shows us his compassion for these unfortunate souls
    Coming up in Part 2 "Shammy" - he's just misunderstood really "

You should ring Billy McCarthy, his show is riff with people like you who sit on their wrinkly old arse every day passing remarks about everyone and anything yet who doesn't actually do anything of any worth himself. If you don't have anything useful to say just say nothing.

fade2black wrote:
    You should ring Billy McCarthy, his show is riff with people like you who sit on their wrinkly old arse every day passing remarks about everyone and anything yet who doesn't actually do anything of any worth himself. If you don't have anything useful to say just say nothing.
    I'll leave the witty put-downs to yourself in future then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 themainburger

You've given me a lump in my throat reading that :( I often wonder that are some of these street drinkers happy in their own little world & do they sober up enough to feel total reality. Like if I went out tonight & got drunk & had a great time, woke up in the morning & rather than going to work start drinking again & kept up the cycle constantly & be always merry, drunk or sleeping. Just this is something I think about when I pass those who are drinking on the street so often, especially when you see someone buying cans of lager at 8:45 in Centra & they're already steamed up.

I reckon they face reality when they wake up every morning and that's what the cans are for: to escape it again asap. I often wonder when the rest of the country are going to face reality also and admit that alcohol abuse is reaching epidemic levels for such a small population. The current drink culture in Ireland makes me think that in 20 years time, that entire Tramore road is gonna be filled with Tawdys every couple of yards..

The emphasis everywhere now is drink; drink at the weekend, drink in the evening, drink drink drink. How much did u drink last weekend? How much are you gonna drink this weekend? How much?

It seems to have actually become a competitive sport amongst young people these days, to see how much you can drink and how ****ed up you can get for all to see..it's gotten to the stage now where young people think it's cool to drink anything to get drunk, whatever it takes, spirits, alcopops etc..

But people just don't seem to be making the connection. Tawdy is on that road because of DRINK. Simple as. We're passing casualties like this every day on the road and no-one seems to see that this is the end result of the drink culture. Look at the people around you, the same age for instance, people you went to school with. How many of them do you look at now and say "if he keeps going like this, he'll be like Tawdy in a few years" ? Far too many for my liking.

Alcohol is not the problem, it's the attitude and the culture. Guns are not a problem but they become one in an environment where it becomes acceptable to shoot someone for any reason at all. Same with alcohol, nothing wrong with it and nothing wrong with getting drunk either. But in an environment where it's acceptable to drink at EVERY available opportunity, no one shows any restraint. People are becoming alcoholics because the people around them are letting them, encouraging them, and joining them for drinks.

Which brings me to the point about Tawdy. I know people believe they are helping him out by giving him cans, and in a way I guess you are because it will be bring him a couple of hours happiness, but is it really the solution? Tawdy needs help, he needs treatment for alcoholism. He is past the point where he is able to help himself or make the decision to get help. He did that to himself, but I feel guilty that we all drive by and let him do that to himself. I know I haven't stopped to intervene either, but it's how I feel every time I pass him.

I just feel that by giving him cans we are telling him it's ok to kill himself with drink, it's like we're encouraging it. People may say "ah well, he can't do anymore harm to himself at this stage, if that's all he wants then leave him off" but I still can't agree with it. People don't want to harm him intentionally, but when it gets to the point where someone is in Tawdy's condition and we're still feeding him with alcohol, you have to wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Ok folks, some of us seriously need to lighten up a bit now.....it's just the way of the world. It ain't kind or fair but that's the way it is:eek:

Well I spoke with Tawdy for some 15/20 minutes and I never smelt any alcohol on his breadth or on his clothes and even his speech was coherrent.

The only sign of alcohol other than the two cans I gave him seemed to be lying either empty or full under a tree near by in Gracedieu near to some of his property.

Because of what I was told about Tawdy and him knowing my family, I was going to give him a few euro's but I was told that couple of cans would be more acceptable to him.

Now just because a bloke is down on his luck and homeless for whatever reason and I have yet to read the real reason why Tawdy is a hobo because no one seems to know, that doesnt mean to say that he is an alcoholic, drug abuser, etc.

Now I have met and spoken to Tawdy which is more than some others on this thread who want to just stick their oar in and talk out of their arse as usual it seems and found him to be sober, coherrent and jovial and would consider him as a real friend compared to some others who think that they are far better than him!!

Now by postng his pics here and elsewhere and reading many comments of endearment about Tawdy, I hope I may have helped him make many more new friends and make more of you stop and talk to him in the future!!
    Oh!! and don't forget to take a few cans with ye and some tinsel as we are on the run up to Christmas!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Ah that's sweet Seanie, you've helpfully pointed out that Tawdy likes receiving gifts of drink and the reason that you posted his pictures on the internet is so that he can make some new friends, your motives are honourable - what's his email address, I might drop him a line.

It's funny to me that you care so much about him but you don't seem to ask him over to your house for an evening every now and then. Sure he'd probably be uncomfortable in the centrally heated little house, he probably enjoys sitting out on the side of the Tramore Road in the bitter cold of a winter's afternoon supping away at the couple of cans of Dutch Gold that he got as a "present" from one of his new "friends".

After all, for some people chronic impoverishment and alcohol addiction is a lifestyle choice and the rest of us are just havin' a bit of fun laughing at thier eccentricity.

As your family knows the big secret of what started the slide for Tawdy you seem to think that have the moral high ground on this issue, right? When you're big Seanie, and you figure out how a dictionary works you should look up the word "exploitation" and then go back and tell yer mammy that sometimes people are not laughing WITH our old family friend, they're laughing AT him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

aoa321 wrote:
    Ah that's sweet Seanie, you've helpfully pointed out that Tawdy likes receiving gifts of drink and the reason that you posted his pictures on the internet is so that he can make some new friends, your motives are honourable - what's his email address, I might drop him a line.

It's funny to me that you care so much about him but you don't seem to ask him over to your house for an evening every now and then. Sure he'd probably be uncomfortable in the centrally heated little house, he probably enjoys sitting out on the side of the Tramore Road in the bitter cold of a winter's afternoon supping away at the couple of cans of Dutch Gold that he got as a "present" from one of his new "friends".

After all, for some people chronic impoverishment and alcohol addiction is a lifestyle choice and the rest of us are just havin' a bit of fun laughing at thier eccentricity.

As your family knows the big secret of what started the slide for Tawdy you seem to think that have the moral high ground on this issue, right? When you're big Seanie, and you figure out how a dictionary works you should look up the word "exploitation" and then go back and tell yer mammy that sometimes people are not laughing WITH our old family friend, they're laughing AT him.

Personally I think you are bang out of order there lad.
    The man's intentions were pure as far as I could see.
    I am sure if he could he would bring Tawdy off over to Wales with him. God knows Tawdy would probably have a far better life over there than what he was given in his own county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Personally I think you are bang out of order there lad.
    You're entitled to your view, as I'm entitled to mine. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of posting pictures of individuals on the internet in this way.

Unless Tawdy posted the pictures himself I think it's an invasion into his privacy, the statement that he is happy with his picture being put up on the internet rings hollow with me.

If anybody has an argument to defend the doctored photograph of Tawdy and tell me that it does not strip him of some of his dignity they should put it forward, I wonder how his family would feel about it.

I'm not getting into the argument about who loves Tawdy the most and because I'm nice to him I can do this, that or the other.

Advertisement