Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinkpad T60 - Opinions? Where to buy?

• 01-10-2006 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I'm looking for a notebook for dev work and Photoshop / web design (no games). I need it to be light, and *robust* - So, I've finally narrowed it down to the Thinkpad T60.

Any T60 or R60 owners have any opinions of this machine? Also, I'm thinking of buying from uk.insight.com - Any experiences?

Last question; does the laptop shop in Stephens Green have thinkpads on display, or is there any shop in Dublin where I can see one before buying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

tonyj wrote:
    Any T60 or R60 owners have any opinions of this machine? Also, I'm thinking of buying from uk.insight.com - Any experiences?

No experience of insight.com, but I am typing this on an R50 and can't recommend them highly enough. A few of the regular posters here have similar experiences with IBMs, so they are a fairly safe, though expensive, bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

tom dunne wrote:
    No experience of insight.com, but I am typing this on an R50 and can't recommend them highly enough. A few of the regular posters here have similar experiences with IBMs, so they are a fairly safe, though expensive, bet.
    Yea... the price, tell me about it! I'm paying about €500 more than a similar spec 'consumer' model.

But, you get what you pay for. And in this case my business will depend on the laptop. I need something I can rely on.

Thanks for the feedback + reassurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Where do you buy them?

I got mine from everyone's favourite website, laptopsdirect.ie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

tom

which R50 did u grab for yourself? i saw some different versions on lenovo site. i was looking for a desktop replacement. i am considering a Macbook, see this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054985839. However, last week a friend recommend me a T60. for a budget between €1,200 - €1,600 i dunno really now which way to go. Stay loyal wt Windows or go jiggy wt an Apple! :confused:

mart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I worked in IBM for a year and understandably everyone there uses a Thinkpad. I never say one have any real issues that weren't windows related.

Built like a rock I tell ya. The only problem with some of them is the graphics cards tend to be integrated which isn't great. You want a separate graphics card if you intend on playing any games with good framerates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Tom

Another question, how does R50 work on playing and burning DVDs if you ever done it? I really fancy having a T60 now but I can't put myself away the resistance to own a Macbook! :D

Mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

In the end, I ordered this;

Thinkpad R60
    - Intel Centrino Core Duo T2400 Processor 1.83 GHz
    - 512 MB DDRII-667MHz SDRAM (which I'll probably upgrade to 1Gb)
    - 80 GB Hard Drive
    - DVDRW± Drive
    - 15" XGA TFT Screen 1400x1050
    - ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 PCI-E 128 MB HyperMemory graphics

The T60 was working out a bit expensive, especially with the 1400x1050 screen. But I think I can live with the extra 1Kg in weight and plastic instead of alloy case... (the internal roll cage will help out if I drop it... :D )

mart_max wrote:
    Tom

Another question, how does R50 work on playing and burning DVDs if you ever done it? I really fancy having a T60 now but I can't put myself away the resistance to own a Macbook! :D

Mart

I have only burned data DVDs and I didn't have any problems. Same for CDs.

I got the R50e with 512Mb Ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 krajicek

tonyj,

i doubt that they have any thinkpads in stephens green. just fujitsu-siemens, acer, sony, hp, ...

but try http://www.wstore.co.uk
    they're pretty good in range, price & support

kr.

• Advertisement
Advertisement