Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

induction kits

Options
  • 01-10-2006 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

just wonderin, cos i have been told opposite things by a few ppl ; does induction kit count as engine mod / do you have to tell ur insurance company about it?? :confused: thanks!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Engine mods will be inside the engine. The induction kit merely increases the power of your car. It makes a nice pleasant noise and helps the air flow.
    I don't think your insurance should know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

its a topic of great debate at the moment - search for previous threads on the issue.

why not anonymously call your insurance company and ask them? my interpretation of the situation would be that anything which affects performance within the engine bay would be considered an engine modification. after all, the air intake is an integral part of a modern engine.

however, you may find that because induction kits are so commmon now and that the gains are so minimal that insurance companies dont really care.

let us know what you find out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

surley you could just get a replacment (same as oe part but better) filter and increase the airflow to it and say nothing ? i dont think they would want you to call and wast their time about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I always thought it was anything that improves the performance of a car, and/or increases its risk of theft. So that would be something as simple as a go faster stripe. But it should all be in your insurance contract, I wouldn't listen to any crackpot theories on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pikaboo

:) lol thanx for all the help guys, my mechanic said it doesnt count but i suppose in the worst case scenario theyd look for any excuse to not pay up....i called up a while back to ask cos i have a sports exhaust and they said anything i want to do to the car is fine as long as i have passed the NCT after having done the mods...might call up and tell them / check just incase tho cos my NCT isnt due til late next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

It totally depends on the enigne / car if will effect performance in any way.. Small engines, it will just make noise... I rang my insurance company a few ago, told them I had put one on my 1.4 civic and they said no probs..

Last year I told them I had put one on my type-r and the premium went up very slightly, like 20euro..

Advertisement