Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quad bike info

Options
  • 01-10-2006 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys if this thread is in wrong place.

Im looking to buy a quad bike for leisure/road use. Where can I go online to find a dealer and where do I go about getting a licence etc..

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

and where do I go about getting a licence etc..
    What do you want 1 of them for :rolleyes: haha

Is it a racing or farm type you want, if farm get a Honda. Theres a class Honda 350 for sale on the adverts, i had the `02version of that quad before i got my `04 Foreman450. How much are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

i'd like to use it on the road mostly...not really farm use. But i've no idea on what insurance etc will cost. Im 28 and have a full licence for 5 years. What would insurance be like do you know.

I'd spend 2500 if I got a good deal with insurance.

Cheers mate.

Im not sure how much road insurance would be. Ive mine insured just as an asset on a farm, not insured for road use. I know i could get indicators and a number plate and road tax to make it road "legal" but i never bothered. Doesnt stop me using it on the roads though. I just got my uncle to add mine to his farm policy so it`d be covered against theft and such. Dont know how much that was, but it wasnt alot.

I think if they are insured for the road they are legally limited to "10 or 15"mph, but obviously they wouldnt know what speed you are doing. I may be wrong on that 10or15mph limit, but i remember reading something like that somewhere.

I doubt you`d get a decent farm quad for E2500, and im not really clued up on phyically smaller racing quads so you`ll have to try price a few. Ring a few dealers, theres loads up the north, they advertise in the autotrader. I only know of Honda dealers and they dont really do the racing types.

Ps:The farm quads are fast as hell, dont think just cause they`re "farm" quads that they`re slow and heavy work vehicles. They take more abuse and a 350/450cc like the hondas i had/have do 50mph and acellerate like mad. the race quads are mostly 2strokes(i think) and often need more servicing and engine rebuilding sometimes.

A 350 or even the older 300cc honda farm quad would cost about E3000minium for a decent low hours model off a dealer i reckon. A 2wd one of them models is great fun, i had the 350 but i assume a 300 wouldnt be too far off it but would prob have a slower top speed. theres a good difference in accelleration between my old 350 and the 450 now but the 350 was no slouch by any means. If you could get a good 350 you`d be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Apart from being completely pointless as a farm machine in 99% of circumstances, quads don't really compare with a motorbike for road use. They steer like boats, and in the grand scheme of road going vehicles they are dog slow.

Your local motor tax office is the best place to go about getting a licence, but unless you are going to register it, pay tax and insurance and fit indicators and proper lights there is little point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Cheers for the info guys. Yeah I'd be more interested in using the quad for running in and out of town and just messing around on the beach. Theres not any tracks or that around here(that I know of) so just getting a quad for off road use would be pointless.
    I'm sure theres a website with the law governing quads and the like. As I said, i've no experience with motorbikes or quads.
    If I get one, I'll get one that is fully road legal from the start as I would'nt have a clue where to get parts etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

look at the Yamaha website, the raptor is a great bike and you can insure it for use on the roads

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nuttzy wrote:
    Im not sure how much road insurance would be. Ive mine insured just as an asset on a farm, not insured for road use. I know i could get indicators and a number plate and road tax to make it road "legal" but i never bothered. Doesnt stop me using it on the roads though.

What would happen if you injured or killed someone?

What would happen if you injured or killed someone?
    Well if i killed someone i`d roll them into the ditch and try hide the body. :rolleyes: If
    I do be on country roads which have fook all traffic, half the little roads im on have grass growing in the middle, some dont even fit 2 cars. Moral of my story is theres not much traffic, 99.9% of the traffic is local and know to go slow on the roads unless they want to wreck their cars. Also my uncle owns alot of the land along these roads as does my fellow friendly farmers so i can dive into their fields if i do meet a lot of traffic. If i meet walkers i slow down, maybe stop so as not to scare their dog till he passes. Half them know me anyway so im hardly gonna fly past them flat-out.
    So i dont think theres much chance of me killing anybody :rolleyes: But the more politically correct boring people will whinge anyways but ill continue to have my fun on the roads whilst the begrudgers whinge about ifs and buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nuttzy wrote:
    But the more politically correct boring people will whinge anyways but ill continue to have my fun on the roads whilst the begrudgers whinge about ifs and buts.
    They are the responsible motorists who are forced to pay high motor insurance premiums because of muppets like you.

You seem to think that an accident is something that you can predict. If that was the case, there would be none.

If you injured someone resulting in them spending the rest of their lives paralysed in a wheel chair, they would probably receive several million Euros in compensation. Once the insurance conpamy are finished with what they can get out of you, "the politically correct and boring people" will be forced to pay the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

It is obvious that Nuttzy does not have a penny to his name and has absolutely no assets (nor do his parents or guardians! :rolleyes: ). If he had he would be acutely aware of the dangers of driving on the road uninsured.

It isn't about being PC, but if you have €2m or more worth of land, you wont be anxious to give it away in legal costs and damages arising from a claim for something as stupid as driving an unlicenced quad on a public road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

maidhc wrote:
    It is obvious that Nuttzy does not have a penny to his name and has absolutely no assets (nor do his parents or guardians! :rolleyes: ). If he had he would be acutely aware of the dangers of driving on the road uninsured.

It isn't about being PC, but if you have €2m or more worth of land, you wont be anxious to give it away in legal costs and damages arising from a claim for something as stupid as driving an unlicenced quad on a public road!

There is no doubt that Nuttzy is indeed a bit Nuttzy

To drive anything...ANYTHING... on the road these days without insurance, is quite simply insane. No matter how quiet the roads are. Just because 99.9% of the people on the roads travel slow and half of them know him doesn't mean diddley squat. I'd like to see how friendly they are when someone is looking to have their hospital bills paid for and Nuttzy has no Insurance....

We always had two tractors at home. And even though the second one was over 30 years old, barely capable of 15 mph and would only actually see a road less than 10 times a year, it was always insured. Like Maidhc says, one accident and you could lose the whole farm.

Advertisement