Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maplin satellite suitcase

• 01-10-2006 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

For anyone thinking of getting this kit - I got great results in Cork:D . With its 13" dish (solid resin helps perhaps) and a Comag SL65 receiver it picked up Hotbird, Astra 1 and Astra 2 with no problems and good recepition on FTA channels. Well worth the money and easy to put together. Going to explore some of the more exotic satellites soon though less optimistic about them. Certainly makes you wonder if you really need a Zone 2 size dish for Sky - specially down here :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got a 57cmX50cm dish up in Cork and even in yesterdays weather, got fine signals coming in except some eurobird channels sticking but all usual ftas fine altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It looks like a slightly more expensive priced exact same as the Lidl Camping system. Indeed the dish is a little small for most of Ireland when it rains. Fine in South of England, wales, possibly Dublin/Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

rparkera wrote:
    Going to explore some of the more exotic satellites soon though less optimistic about them. Certainly makes you wonder if you really need a Zone 2 size dish for Sky - specially down here :confused:

Most satellites need 80cm.

You really DO need a zone 2 or even a bit bigger to watch the weaker channels when ther is high ice crystals or heavy rain etc.

ANY communications system needs a margin. Also the BER is worse giving coarser pictures before the signal gets to the freezing point. Certain high pressure can bend the signal causing loss as if the dish is misaliged in some kinds of weather too.

Sky have really spent the absolute or slightly less on their dishes. They are not going to waste money on that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 rparkera

Ah so - forgot to say that was me summer dish!:confused: I'll be needing a bigger suitcase for the winter from the sound of it! Credit where it's due though - I don't work for Maplin but was impressed.

Would the smaller caste resin dish be slightly better than a pressed steel perforated one, would ye know?

Advertisement