Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting two computers to wireless router

• 01-10-2006 12:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Me again!

Since getting the wireless to work on Friday, everything has been going great with it. The only thing is, my flatmate arrived at my door this morning, asking how to get her computer connected. Now, I'm certainly no expert with computers, and I figure stuff out by trial and error. I suggested a few things, which didn't work, and now she's really pissing me off by asking me why it won't work.

So, this is why I find myself asking you good people for advice again. My wireless network isn't even showing up on her network list. What's the best way to get her computer connected to my router in this case? Should she install the router on her computer the same way I did it to mine, or what?

Now my wireless has been going weird. It just disconnects every 10 minutes or so, and doesn't reconnect automatically. I didn't experience anything like this until my flatmate wanted to connect her computer. Any ideas what could be causing this? Might it be because she tried to install the software for the router earlier?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Faith wrote:
    Me again!

Since getting the wireless to work on Friday, everything has been going great with it. The only thing is, my flatmate arrived at my door this morning, asking how to get her computer connected. Now, I'm certainly no expert with computers, and I figure stuff out by trial and error. I suggested a few things, which didn't work, and now she's really pissing me off by asking me why it won't work.

So, this is why I find myself asking you good people for advice again. My wireless network isn't even showing up on her network list. What's the best way to get her computer connected to my router in this case? Should she install the router on her computer the same way I did it to mine, or what?

Now my wireless has been going weird. It just disconnects every 10 minutes or so, and doesn't reconnect automatically. I didn't experience anything like this until my flatmate wanted to connect her computer. Any ideas what could be causing this? Might it be because she tried to install the software for the router earlier?
    God only knows what the software she installed is doing - it is not necessary to install any software from Philips to talk to the Philips wireless router. Uninstall it.

Did you configure any encryption on your wireless connection? If not, then enable WPA encryption on the router, and on the laptops. You will need to set a passphrase (not a "password" - use a long phrase, spaces and all, not just a word or two).

If your router is broadcasting it's SSID (it's name), and your friends laptop can't even see that, then the problem is on her computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Another consideration is to change the "Autochannel Setting" in the Wireless settings for your router from "Use Default" to "Continuous". This helped me with a disconnection problem similar to yours.

Advertisement