Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

erasmus

Options
  • 01-10-2006 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

hey, was just wondering does anyone know how i should go about applying for an erasmus next year? i'm in 2nd year of a B.A. and think i have to change to a B.A. international or something. Anybody here ever done an erasmus? how did it go? where do i start??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'm in Quinn doing Commerce and I'm studying abroad for the 2nd semester. It's only called Erasmus if you're going to a European country btw.

In Quinn everything is organised for us by the International Affairs Officer but I'd guess you probably have to talk to your Programme Officer or a student advisor. If you're going to Europe you're eligible for a grant too, it's about €900 afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

It depends on your department. I did arts (English and GRC). Towards the end of 2nd year the Classics department had a lecture about taking an Erasmus year. That's how I heard about it. I took an application form and got my place. My degree was automatically changed to a "BA International" so you don't need to worry about that. My advice would be to go talk to the head of your department (or "school" in modular-speak) and ask what universities that department has links with and how to go about making an application. That's the best place to start. They probably won't be organising these things until the end of the year anyway. There are also destinations which are organised centrally rather than through departments but it makes sense to start with your own department(s) first as they'll probably send you somewhere relevant to your subject area.

One more word of advice: DO NOT go to Catania.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

thanks for the above help guys. I'm thinking of either going to Amsterdam or the Sorbonne in Paris. Failing that maybe UCLA. What was so bad about Sicily? was it all through Italian? I'd love to go to Paris but maybe my French wouldnt be strong enough, and Amsterdam University teach through English to foreign students, and ya know... it's eh...... meant to be a good university

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

One more word of advice: DO NOT go to Catania.

"We can't stop here - this is bat country!!"
    What was so bad about Sicily? was it all through Italian? I'd love to go to Paris but maybe my French wouldnt be strong enough

Afaik, unless you're doing Erasmus and taking a foreign language, all your lectures will be in English. We were talked to by the students who went abroad last year and they said it was pretty easy to get by if you didn't know the language, just 'please' and 'thank you'. Most natives would have a bit of English too.

Advertisement