Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defcon

Options
  • 01-10-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Ayone playing it? pretty funky little game. Odd thing is I downloaded the demo and yesterday everything was locked cos it was the demo but today everything is unlocked altho it still says demo in steam.... My mate has the demo and everything is edit: locked for him. Not that I'm gonna own up or anything :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

gave the demo a brief whirl last night.

Liked it.

Just trying to figure out where the single player was at? (or is there none in the demo?)

Quite liked it, but I tend to be a bit too *nuke all the cities* when it came to my attacks.

On a side note, anyone else having problems with the controls, its difficult when your in defcon 1 and are launchin nukes from a silo to deselect said silo and choose a new unit, I keep ending up nuking my own forces :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its fun enough, if only for quick games. Tried it a few days ago, and the only single player seems to be skirmish againt ai opponents. As for the controls, its even more awkward trying to get subs to launch nukes without accidently moving them.

Good enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Space deselects units and you usually have to double click units to get at the options to change their status.

There is no single player just a skirmish mode and whilst the game is fun enough there is about a weeks longevity in it to be honest as everyone has the same stuff starting off and bar different areas being harder/easier to defend the same thing happens everytime you play. I'm still prettychuffed that the game seems to have unlocked for me and I never paid for it. Happy days.

is skirmish for only when you buy it?

Also the one mode that caught my eye was office mode, where everything happens in real time. If I worked in a office, i'd have that windowed in the background watching what happens.

no demo allows you to skirnish against one AI or one human.

Basically the game is ONLY skirmish AI or not. Limited long term appeal in this.

• Advertisement

how do I activate the skirmish, cant find it on the main menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    how do I activate the skirmish, cant find it on the main menu?

Create a normal game and just add AI players. The button is under the list of players.

The game is fairly simple to understand, a once over of the tutorial gave me everything I needed to play a game. The only thing I need now is how to beat the AI. Strategy isn't my strong point.

cheers for that.

Kicked that AI's ass.

though gotta give it another go and try and actually win by complete domination (which is meant to be nigh on impossible.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ah very good game.

only have the demo but 2p is a good laugh.

Europe v Africa :v:

AI is simple to beat even in a 6 man game but the following just shows the lack of variety in the game:

Move fleets to defend your coast, have a couple carriers pinging for subs. Move yur subs into range of enemy.

Then once defcon 3 hits send out fighters to scout.

Then once defcon one hits send mass bombing fleets to take out any discovered silos, include yur remaining fighters to become targets for air defence.

Then launch sub missiles and if the enemy hasn't already launched silos on you you launch on him and chances are you will have hurt enough to take the win and repeat EVERY GAME..... Or withhold firing your subs till the enemy launches from his silos then use yur subs till kill them.

Oh and as a tip if you are Europe versus China/Asia then send yur subs up over russia and off to the right, China can't get any fleets there and you have a decent chance of pwning East Asia with your entire sub fleet.

Competition in the game is really weak as well. I'm no rts player but no one seems to be able to play properly at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

is it wrong that i ignored military targets in my last game...

military targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    military targets?

Silos, Radars and Airports.

daywalker wrote:
    Silos, Radars and Airports.
    humour doesnt 'work' with you does it?

lets try this again

Jaggeh: gee I like this game, but I'm worried that I decide to nuke civilian cities instead of the actual targets you need to destroy

BlitzKrieg: The civilian cities are not the target? oops.

(gets a cream pie thrown in face.)

TA DA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

You forgot to use the pretend-clueless-sarcasm tags Blitz.

Anyway, we should have a boards.ie Defcon league once enough people get used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

After a 3-player lan game earlier, muchos bloody fun! :D

Alliances, backstabbing, 'accidental' nukage all ending with some ****er figuring out the subs he was sending to the artic could actually launch nukes. :(

and I was 100 points ahead at one stage :(

Last time I stab china in the back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

kaimera wrote:
    After a 3-player lan game earlier, muchos bloody fun! :D

Alliances, backstabbing, 'accidental' nukage all ending with some ****er figuring out the subs he was sending to the artic could actually launch nukes. :(

and I was 100 points ahead at one stage :(

Last time I stab china in the back :p
    haha its a good game, im "not" looking for a crack for it so anyone who "hasnt" found one "dont" give me a shout on [email]UHOH! I THINK AMP CRACKED MY SECRET CODE@NOT.COM[/email]
    "not" appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

DanOB, you are on a yellow card for requesting a crack for a game. Further violations will see you nuked from the Games Catagory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭DanOB

amp wrote:
    DanOB, you are on a yellow card for requesting a crack for a game. Further violations will see you nuked from the Games Catagory.
    i did no such thing...

ur term "nuked" goes well with the topic at hand :P

Advertisement