Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia and smart broadband

Options
  • 01-10-2006 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I have smart telecom broadband. I got hold of a netopia wireless router( One of the eircom ones.) Any know how to setup this up with Smart Braodband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

the ip to get into the configuration menu is http://192.168.1.254/ anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    the ip to get into the configuration menu is http://192.168.1.254/ anyway

Do they support ADSL 2/2+?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Eircom branded Netopia routers will not work with Smart BB. FWIW, I think they do support ADSL2+ though I'm open to correction.

Somebody here once posted a firmware link for the Netopia which was supposed to eradicate the eircom firmware and replace with generic Netopia firmware, though I never tried it as it seemed to be for a different model Netopia router to the one I have.

Currently, i've just got my Netopia wired to the Aolynk supplied by Smart, so I can have wifi, though it's rather untidy setup and 1 router would be tidier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

One guy on here got it working on Smart. It involved telnetting into the Netopia and changing the modulation setting to ADSL2+. Here is the "How to" he posted:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52042917&postcount=16

byte

Just after trying that but no avial. The router syncs alright, and the router itself can seemingly ping websites ok...
    Pinging www.google.com
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 190/190/190 msec

Unfortunately, the PC can not connect to any sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

byte wrote:
    Just after trying that but no avial. The router syncs alright, and the router itself can seemingly ping websites ok...

Unfortunately, the PC can not connect to any sites.
    Is that more than it would do when you tried it on Smart previously?
    Is it picking up DNS and line stats correctly and is it showing the correct modulation type?
    Did you reboot the pc aswell?

byte

Well, the router did sync before also, though I didn't know of the Test for pinging websites.

The DNS settings seem to be right.

I didn't however restart my PC :rolleyes: I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement