Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest pc for web browsing

Options
  • 01-10-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a pc only for web-browsing. No need for any word processing or spreadsheets.

Does anybody know where I could find a cheap pc to serve this purpose?

Have a monitor and speakers already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

You could buy a cheapo dell at the outlet store.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Where are dell's outlet stores?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

How much are you willing to spend on this ?

Buying new it will probably cost around €400, but I'm sure for the tasks you describe you could get something cheaper through alternate channels like eBay or checking for sale sections etc.

That said Ankermann sell a perfectly fine system for €289 and will do what you want but note that it does not come with an operating system which is what you will have to buy or supply.

Komplett sell a similar system if a bit better specification wise for €479 but that comes preloaded with the Windows XP operating system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dell Outlet Store

I think the cheapest new Dell you can get is the 3100c for around 450 eurons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steveo1983

Heres the link for the Dell outlet ebay shop
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Dell-Outlet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For web browsing only.... you might get a FREE pc off jumbletown or the dublin waste website.. You do not need anything fancy for a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

blatent flogging but i've the guts of a AMD athlon K7 for sale thats all u need for web browsing. Was running XP on it and it works just fine..

Amd Athlon-K7 650 cpu, m/atx mobo, ram, cd rom n gfx. Comes in a handy midi case

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=8166&cat=8

What would I need to get that spec from unklerosco above working? How much ram does it have by the way?

Its 128 or 245mb ram, cant remember... It has a modem installed and a nic so is ready to go.. Just needs an OS..

And could I put Linux on that or would I have to put a new version of xp on it?

• Advertisement

Id assume so, no nothing about linux myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

You could definitely put Linux on it (get Ubuntu; it's nice and easy)

Oh yeah - and thanks for the jumbletown website - what an odd idea!

Advertisement