Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First provisional , Third named driver

Options
  • 01-10-2006 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Can i drive alone on my first licence, i have my licence a few weeks and i am insured on parents car as third named driver. Any other restrictions? I am only aware of not being allowed on motorways and maybe having to have a person with me for first year(technically).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

nope! Only on your second provisional... not even a 3rd provisional... so ONLY the second...

Of course that does not stop the 1/4 million provisional drivers on the roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

No can do, but that never stopped anybody anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

so whats the legality? what if a person on first prov licence has a crash? Can i have a friend with full licence in car or does it have to be the two first named drivers on my insurance policy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

so whats the legality? what if a person on first prov licence has a crash? Can i have a friend with full licence in car or does it have to be the two first named drivers on my insurance policy?

1/. If you drive outside of the terms of your license (unaccompanied) your insurance may be voidable.

2/. You can carry whomever you wish, as long as one passenger has a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

2/. You can carry whomever you wish, as long as one passenger has a full license.

Not only that, but the full licence holder is bound by the same rules as if they were actually driving the car themselves.

For example, the full licence holder may not be over the alcohol limit.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Where did you see or hear that?
    maybe having to have a person with me for first year(technically).

Your first provisional lasts for two years. Apply for your test now if you want to legally drive unaccompanied in a year's time.

Your accompanying driver doesn't have to be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nereid wrote:
    Not only that, but the full licence holder is bound by the same rules as if they were actually driving the car themselves.

For example, the full licence holder may not be over the alcohol limit.
    And they must hold a full licence in the relevant category.
    Can i drive alone on my first licence
    Yes, as long as it's for categories A, A1, M or W. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Any requirements relating to the full licence holder ?

Here are the norwegian requirements:

"Requirements relating to the lay instructor
    The lay instructor must be at least 25 years of age, possess a valid driving entitlement for
    the vehicle category in question and have been in uninterrupted possession of such entitlement
    for the last 5 years prior to the practice driving, see Section 26, second paragraph, of the Road
    Traffic Act.
    Only one learner driver at a time can practice drive with a lay instructor when this takes
    place on a road that is open for general traffic."

Edit: ..and offcourse we dont let drivers out on the road alone without a licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

And they must hold a full licence in the relevant category.

Yes, as long as it's for categories A, A1, M or W. ;)
    Looks like i 'll be buying a cheap moped then! what happens if i'm stopped by gardai by myself on this first prov licence? If there was an accident and i was alone in car would insurer pay out???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you're stopped by a garda while on your own, just be polite and apologise.

Double check the terms of your insurance policy but most insurance policies will pay out if you have an accident when on your own. Some insurance companies require you to be with someone else, but usually this is when you're a named driver on your partner's insurance or similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement