Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advanced Driving Lessons

Options
  • 01-10-2006 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I passed my driving test last week and would like to bring my driving to a higher than test standard level.

Can anyone recommend advanced driving lesson instructors in the Dublin southside area? - Terenure/Rathgar/Churchtown etc etc.. (my pretest instructor does advanced driving lessons but driving through the city centre is right pain in the ass most evenings in terms of slow_moving_traffic).

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If I were you I'd gain experience for a year or two and then go and do the Institute of Advanced Drivers course and test.

It's based in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do the ignition course with Hibernian. You'll pick up some very useful knowledge and you'll be able to save a chunk of cash on insurance too:)

Everyone should do this. For anyone starting to drive this is the best route to go:
    Pass theory, get provisional, get insured with Quinn Direct or the likes and pay monthly, get enough experience and then do the provisional Igition test, if the quote you get off tesco/brittoninsurance.com is worth cancelling your Quinn Direct policy and moving (which it most definitely will be, you'll probably save about 1K for the year), cancel it and move company, wait for full test, pass it, do full Ignition test, pass and you'll be on the cheapest insurance possible and will have a much better knowledge of road use and driving in general. There is absolutely no reason why anyone starting to drive shouldn't take this route. Don't bother becoming a named driver, if your going to start driving, do it properly, it will work out much better for you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Longfield wrote:
    ...my pretest instructor does advanced driving lessons but driving through the city centre is right pain in the ass most evenings in terms of slow_moving_traffic)

Erm, but your car has the potential to go outside the city limits of Dublin doesn't it? And I hope you didn't assume that an advanced driver has nothing to learn from city centre driving? Unless of course, you are confusing an Advanced Driving course with a Rally School course? City Centre driving is as difficult so to speak as cruising on the motorway. Just because the speed is reduced, the observation required increases to compensate.

I would be very surprised if they teach you an advanced course only along the same routes as the DoE tests???

On the bike anyway, the actual (RoSPA) test is 90-120 minutes and covers back roads, city centre, motorway, national routes etc. The preperation course likewise was along all types of road in varying traffic conditions.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

nereid wrote:
    Erm, but your car has the potential to go outside the city limits of Dublin doesn't it? And I hope you didn't assume that an advanced driver has nothing to learn from city centre driving? Unless of course, you are confusing an Advanced Driving course with a Rally School course? City Centre driving is as difficult so to speak as cruising on the motorway. Just because the speed is reduced, the observation required increases to compensate.
    L.

Nothing to do with city driving at all, bar the fact that after a days work i don't fancy sitting on the quays for an hour trying to get to somewhere on the northside. I'm fine with heavy traffic, but sitting in a traffic jam just isnt my idea of fun!!

I don't mind driving to lessons, as long as it doesnt mean sitting in a Lucan like hellhole jam going nowhere for an hour!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Is there a certain safety benefit to such courses (apart from the insurance reduction? Or are they just preaching to the converted?
    Are accidents not caused by those who know they shouldnt,yet choose to speed/drinkdrive/overtakedangerously/usemobiles/etc/etc

• Advertisement

There's definitely safety benefits. You'll be told how your driving is, if you need to touch up on anything etc and you'll get to see the instructor drive "properly" too. It's definitely not preaching to the already converted... already converted to what? Full license drivers aren't necesserally "good drivers", the full driving test only covers a few things and it doesn't do it too well either.

As to what causes accidents, it's not about breaking speed limits, it's about driving at speeds you can't handle in relation to the circumstances. Sometime 25 kmph is too fast in a 50 zone, some times it's safe to go 90 in a 60 zone. It all depends on the conditions. This applies to pretty much everything, not just speeding. Accidents don't happen, they are caused.

Nobody is a perfect driver, we can all improve, it's best you take any chance you can at improving, it could mean the difference of your life.

Take a day out of your schedule and do this course. It will make you a safer driver and will save you money too. Why anyone doesn't do this is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sandwich wrote:
    Is there a certain safety benefit to such courses (apart from the insurance reduction? Or are they just preaching to the converted?
    Are accidents not caused by those who know they shouldnt,yet choose to speed/drinkdrive/overtakedangerously/usemobiles/etc/etc

I agree somewhat with the sentiment that these courses are "preaching to the converted", but like Cormie says, everyone has something to learn.

The reason I agree with your preaching to the converted sentiment is because those that do wish to learn more, are automatically in a different mindset, in that they want to improve and be safer. Whereas, someone who dismisses these courses as not for them because they are already "ace" drivers are probably more likely to need the training that the course would provide.

Personally, I did the course because as a motorcyclist (and car driver occasionally) I want to give myself the best possible training to be able to deal correctly with situations that on a bike are automatically more life threating than in a car.
    Longfield wrote:
    I don't mind driving to lessons, as long as it doesnt mean sitting in a Lucan like hellhole jam going nowhere for an hour!!

As a car driver, you will have to get used to driving in such conditions :)

Besides, like I said, driving in those conditions can be far more mentally demanding than driving on the open road. And, just to relieve your fears somewhat, most Advanced courses that I have heard of, start by meeting up somewhere like citywest/sandyford/airport etc - well out of the city centre so that you dont spend the entire lesson in that traffic. Also, the course that I did was 2 full days training, it is not like an hour here and an hour there. It is an intensive course.

Also, it is quite difficult and you get out what you put in. I would almost suggest driving for a year to become quite comfortable with your new full licence rather than feeling you have to do an "advanced course" right now.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks lads,

nereid - I was talking to someone else today who said the same as you, ie given i'm only on the road a year (in a car) that I really should leave it another year or so because i'll still be learning the basics and not much point in doing an advanced course unless i'm already pretty proficient already- which honestly is probably right.
    Am probably a C grade driver right now and am fully aware that am not as skilled as many others on the road but am definately improving month on month.
    Definately going to do this at some point in the future as everyone I've talked to and read here also seems to think its worthwhile.

Now to get the truck and bus licenses next....

The ignition test isn't really technique, but more awareness. There is a course that is more tecnique based provided by IAM too as far as I know. The ignition course is best to be done asap. The other, well in an ideal world, we'd have all had to do it before we got on the road to begin with, but I suppose waiting a while would be a good option. However I suggest doing the Ignition course as soon as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 eamon1

Longfield wrote:
    I passed my driving test last week and would like to bring my driving to a higher than test standard level.

Can anyone recommend advanced driving lesson instructors in the Dublin southside area? - Terenure/Rathgar/Churchtown etc etc.. (my pretest instructor does advanced driving lessons but driving through the city centre is right pain in the ass most evenings in terms of slow_moving_traffic).

Thanks.

I did mine this year it takes about an hour and a half over motorway, country and town. It started in citywest out naas and blessingtown and m50. Its a garda from traffic section that tests you. I got my lessons in Rathgar can't remember schools name but their website is www.drivingtestinstructor.com.
    If you ask them to look at your standard and see if your up to it. I just passed my test last year and my instructor trained me for advanced and ordinary test at the same time. Hibernian give me 30% discount for the rest of my life so thats why I did it now.

good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement