Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs 2 - 1 Pompey

Options
  • 01-10-2006 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

At Last!

Great performances from Dawson, Defoe, Zokora, Berbatov, and Robinson

Team looked better, still seem to lack the fitness to play for 90 (or 96!) minutes. Murphy looked good on the ball, but Ghaly lacked the bite he needs for the wing. Murphy didnt get back first half, and left us vunerable, that's how they got a goal, kept it tight second half, but really removed his attacking game. Zokora's runs were magnificent and deserved better, he's going from strength to strength. Jenas played better second half on the wing, again deserved a goal for all the work he put in. Defensively we looked okay, never really looked poor, except Ekotto, but that was due to lack of midfield support. Defoe, Berbatov and Keane looked lively, Berbatov holding the ball well and creating havoc. Defoe's pace made him look like he should always be in the first XI. Keane seemed to lack invention and lead footed, a few clumsy touches never got into his stride.

Man of the Match: Dawson, brave, intelligent and well tempered
    Moment of the Match: The ball rolling over Jenas standing foot to bobble up, I had my hands in the air, waiting for his third of the season. Summed up Spurs for the moment, luck is swinging like a pendalum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Very important result today. I have a feeling our season starts here. Nothing spectacular but a good solid performance that reminded me of last seasons performances at the lane. I thought Berb and defoe looked decent together. They both clearly lacked match fitness but I think that could be a great partnership for the future.

Zokora was class again aside from the theatrics while I thought Jenas and murphy were nothing special. Ghaly looked good at right mid but was muck at right back. Ekotto looked suspect at the back again. Hes decent going forward and strong but if his defensive displays dont improve Id rather we go bach to Lee. All in all a good day though roll on villa, west ham and watford:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

What a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'm so glad I went to the effort of recording this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

2 hours delayed out of Heathrow, I'm only in the door a few minutes...

The Berbatov/Defoe partnership was such a breath of fresh air, and while I don't recall Defoe being anyway obvious as a threat, the fact that himself and Berbs putr themselves about meant their defence was pushed back leaving a bit more space for our midfield to work with.

Zokora looks better and better every game. He's gonna be a legend. That said, I am not happy with his theatrics for the peno (just seen the replay). I don't care about winning that much, I hope Jol has a word in his ear.

Thought Ekotto had a good game, made up for his blunders at Anfield. Chimbonda had a good half, was disappointed to see him go off, plus it meant Ghaly had to play at RB when I though he'd added some shape to the midfield in the 1st half. Murphy was good throughout.

Special mention to Huddlestone, who took three knocks (including the clash of heads) during the game and still played on.

I'm tired and not thinking straight, might add to this in morning...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Was the sniper caught? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

2 hours delayed out of Heathrow, I'm only in the door a few minutes...

The Berbatov/Defoe partnership was such a breath of fresh air, and while I don't recall Defoe being anyway obvious as a threat, the fact that himself and Berbs putr themselves about meant their defence was pushed back leaving a bit more space for our midfield to work with.

Zokora looks better and better every game. He's gonna be a legend. That said, I am not happy with his theatrics for the peno (just seen the replay). I don't care about winning that much, I hope Jol has a word in his ear.

Thought Ekotto had a good game, made up for his blunders at Anfield. Chimbonda had a good half, was disappointed to see him go off, plus it meant Ghaly had to play at RB when I though he'd added some shape to the midfield in the 1st half. Murphy was good throughout.

Special mention to Huddlestone, who took three knocks (including the clash of heads) during the game and still played on.

I'm tired and not thinking straight, might add to this in morning...:D
    I'm happy with the result and I think that Berbatov and Defoe deserve an extended run in the team.
    why did Chimbonda go off? is he injured?
    and I'm happy to see Huddlestone get a chance. i've high hopes for the boy...;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Agree with most of the above especially in relation to Dawson and Zokora. Also thought that Ghaly did well even when out of position. I think he has the look of someone who's intent on making the best of his chance to secure a place in the starting 11.

The Muppet wrote:
    Was the sniper caught? ;)

No, unfortunately. We've enlisted the help of Greater Manchester Police who believe they're seeking the same suspect for a number of incidents at OT...

ronaldo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

No, unfortunately. We've enlisted the help of Greater Manchester Police who believe they're seeking the same suspect for a number of incidents at OT...

ronaldo.gif

what happened? was there as sniper at WHL?:p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Now I'm slightly more rested...

Yesterday was definitely a game of two halves. We did everything that was good from last year in the 1st half, good movement, clever midfield play, decent possession. Basically we decided at waht pace the game would be played.

2nd half was a lot like the bad days from last season. Toomuch possession surrendered, we sat too deep and let Pompey dictate the pace. If there is one thing I am consistently critical of Jol about, it is the tendancy for Robbo to kick long when we are trying to retain possession, all we're doing is handing possession back to the opposition. Neither Keane nor Defoe are capable of holding the ball up or winning high balls. Needs to stop, and stop now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement