Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulver anyone?

Options
  • 01-10-2006 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else listen to these guys?

http://www.myspace.com/ulver1

I'm fairly certain they're right up John's alley. Amazing stuff, especially their 2-disc album, Theme's From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I still haven't gotten any of their albums but I did hear their collaboration with Sunn O))) and it's ****ing incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John wrote:
    I still haven't gotten any of their albums but I did hear their collaboration with Sunn O))) and it's ****ing incredible.

I haven't heard that myself, but Sunn O))) are playing Galway in a few weeks time, so yay! :D

It's on the really limited vinyl White Box that they released recently. Hopefully they'll put it out on a non-limited CD release in the future, it deserves to be heard by all and sundry.

Ah, not a vinyl man myself, no wonder I've not heard it.

I've not really heard much Sunn O))) for that matter, so I think I might just have to grab some of their musical discs before they play here. I can't believe it myself, they're playing An Pucan... That's going to be, um, interesting. :o

I say don't listen to anything before you go and experience it as a Sunn virgin. Friends of mine did just that when they played on a boat(!) in Bristol and they've become bigger fans than me.

Anyway, back to Ulver. Apart from the William Blake disc (which sounds really interesting as I love Blake), what would be another essential Ulver purchase?

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    I say don't listen to anything before you go and experience it as a Sunn virgin. Friends of mine did just that when they played on a boat(!) in Bristol and they've become bigger fans than me.

Anyway, back to Ulver. Apart from the William Blake disc (which sounds really interesting as I love Blake), what would be another essential Ulver purchase?

Duly noted.

As for Ulver, well it would depend, their old stuff is actually like Buzrum, but from Blake onwards it's very experimental. Perdition City is a fantastic one, which is a real soundscape type one, and their latest album, Blood Inside is... well, it's odd, not as soundscape like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

It really depends on what you are into.

The first 3 albums are BM. Pretty much standard fare. Good though.

The Blake album is where they became non standard. Broadening their style with new instrumenst and actual singing. It's a long album due to the fact that it is a double disc but very worth it.

The Silence EPs are differenty again as they experiment with a miminalistic sound.

Perdition City is meant to be good haven't listened yet.

Lykanthropean(sp?) Themes is one of my favourites electronic ambient music. Very nice.

Svidd Neger is the soundtrack they did for the movie of the same name. This has a bit of everything. Sounds a bit like Lykanthropean Themes V2.0. As in it advanced.

Blood Inside, which I have on now, is a work of genius. Not sure how to describe it though.

Hope that helps.

Cheers lads. My credit card will be the next casualty of the war on silence.

John wrote:
    Cheers lads. My credit card will be the next casualty of the war on silence.

Ooh, what did you order?

Nothing yet, waiting to be paid at the end of the month. The William Blake album is top of my list though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I only have Blood Inside. It's really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Bergtatt is far and away my favorite BM album. Not terribly interested in their later stuff.

Edit: Actually, the stuff on their Myspace page ain't too bad, particularly the Intro from the William Blake album. (Which sounds eerily similar to a song from the Diablo II soundtrack.)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I like it. Thank god, something new to listen to. I had heard the earlier BM but none of the new electronic material, it's great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Just got blood inside,hit and miss,when it works it is incredible,when it does't it is quite passive to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

I only really know the old Ulver but I think I will enjoy the new electronic stuff.. Just got to get around to buying it.

Advertisement