Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom line issue

Options
  • 01-10-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Ok I dunno if this would be better suited to consumer issues, but I figure that more people might have experience with this problem on the Broadband board.

So here's my problem: I recently moved into rented house and when I asked about broadband the landlady said there was never a phoneline in the house previously. Well on inspection, I found a phone line. I rang eircom enquiring about it, hoping they would reconnect it there and then. But as it turns out, previous tenants had BB and with eircom, and ran off never paying the bill (landlady was unaware of any of this).

Thankfully eircom don't want the final bill to be settled, but they do require a "security deposit" of €200 to be paid. I plan to get magnet broadband who have offered to install their own landline for €85. The landlady is refusing to pay either of these. There are 5 of us in the house, 3 of them will not be staying for longer than 6 months making the security deposit awkward to pay.

So my question: Is there anyway I can convince eircom to drop the security deposit as they are currently offering free reconnection? Has anyone had a similar situation and what did you do? (Obviously I'm trying to avoid paying any fees, or as little ass possible)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would say no Zapho but you should be entitled to a discount off your rent becuase

1. the landlady must have noticed a telephone socket sometime and misled you about the phone line , I would say she knew. Give eircom her full name and address to help them chase these lads who did the runner ....and for being a smartass. Arguably she should pay teh deposit for you herself.

2. the bb contract is 6 months nowadays not 1 year, you should get your deposit back after 6 months but get that in writing from eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Thanks Sponge Bob. Yeah by right she should pay the money, but there's no way I'm going to convince her unfortunately.

But I think I'm just going to take Magnet up on their offer of a new line, which avoids us going through Eircom entirely and also speeds up the process of getting BB. Unfortunately we have to pay the fee for the line.

Advertisement