Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sports watches

Options
  • 01-10-2006 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good sports watch? I at a complete loss at what to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

What do you want to use it for and what are you willing to spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 geishagirl

sorry should have been a wee bit clearer. Am currently starting to train for marathon, so just want it for things like time and heart rate..money wise not more than 150

Polar RS200 might be in your range and can be extended to a distance/pace monitor using an optional footpod. As a runner I find the ability to tell distance and pace to be invaluable. I use the Garmin Forerunner 305 which does everything bar make coffee ... if you don't need a HR monitor then you can get the 205 ... either one though is above your budget but in my opinion worth the money. Do a google and see what you find on these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Myksyk wrote:
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 305 which does everything bar make coffee ... if you don't need a HR monitor then you can get the 205 ...

Myksyk (or anybody for that matter), what are the benefits of a HR monitor? I've been thinking about getting a GPS tracking watch for a while but never considered getting a HR monitor too.

How would measurements of my heart rate benefit my training?

I just always assumed my heart rate goes up when I run hard and goes down when I stop...

There was a comprehensive and interesting article in October's issue of Runner's World about HR Training. Essentially, the goal is to try to train the body to be able to work harder at lower HRs. To do this people train slower than normal with accompanying HRs around 135/140 then build up pace while maintaining that rate. Apparently it can take some months but seems to work. That of course is only one example. You also can tell from a HR monitor what training 'zone' you are in (i.e. are you training to easy, too hard, at weight loss level or at level which will improve cardiovascular fitness). You can set these watches in interval training to beep when you've reached say 80% of your max HR then beep you again when you've dropped back down to say 120 rate so that you have another intense interval where you push your rate back up to 155 or whatever. Basically the HR allows you to maximise the benefit of your training by telling you the impact the effort you are making is actually having on your heart. Another small thing it helps you do is you can measure your resting HR so that you know if you have any problem. According to some, top runners will often consider giving training a miss if their resting HR (when they wake up in the morning) is elevated by more than 10% ... these suggests an underlying bug which may benefit more from rest than a 10 mile run. If you subscribe to Runner's World they have a good article on their home page about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Seanmcf

Hi Guys,
    If you're looking for cheap heart rate monitors or GPS units, the widest selection and best prices in Ireland are listed on this site: www.irishfit.eu
    :cool:

Advertisement