Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jogging/running beginner ...

Options
  • 01-10-2006 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

sorry if this is wrong forum, I didn't see a running forum

I was talking to my cousins husband last night, he's a keep fit type guy. Told me he lost a stone in two weeks, well he does work out alot. Anyway he got me thinking about starting to go for jogs etc. I'm not at all a fit person I reckon. I'm about 14 stone and 5" 9' in hight, waste is 34 and in-leg is 32, don't know if they matter but there ya go...:D

I'd say I have a big build (wide shoulders/big chest and strong legs) and I've a decent mussels on my legs and arms. He was saying I should start off doing small jogs around my block, say for 20/30 mins twice a week then build up doing more days and time etc.

I want to tone up and lose a stone of fat, he said running is good for this. I'd say most of my weight is on my belly, but obviously it's all over I just notice it more there and on my face :(.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Maybe try 5 mins run followed by 5 mins walk for half an hour first, and gradually build it up so eventually you'll be doing half hours without stopping maybe 3 times a week. Losing a stone in 2 weeks isn't what I'd think is exactly healthy but I'm not an expert on it.

And welcome to the forum BreadBoard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Check out http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

That's the run/walk plan I started with. If it's ridiculously easy skip the first few weeks but remember your heart and lungs will be able for distance/pace a lot quicker than your tendons and ligaments. So be careful not to overstress them and injure them. He's totally right about starting off sensibly and building up easily. I'd start with 3 days a week personally, you still get a full rest day between each run.

And losing a stone takes a 49000 calorie deficet! Which is (very) roughly 490 miles running. Or more food than a normal male would eat in a fortnight anyway! Perhaps he could have practically starved himself in combination with exercise, but then how'd he even be able to do any? I think you should take his comments with a pinch of salt and don't try and measure up to them.

The running should make you feel healthier and will help with weight loss but improving your diet will make more of a difference on the weight front. Check out the fitness forum for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Squirrel wrote:
    Maybe try 5 mins run followed by 5 mins walk for half an hour first, and gradually build it up so eventually you'll be doing half hours without stopping maybe 3 times a week. Losing a stone in 2 weeks isn't what I'd think is exactly healthy but I'm not an expert on it.

And welcome to the forum BreadBoard

I went for my first run/walk tonight at about 11 (I'm a night owl). Just went out for about 25 mins. Walked for 3 mins or so than ran for about 2 mins, walked for 5 mins ran for 2 mins etc...:o

I didn't time how many mins I ran or walked, should I? Should I walk for 5 mins run for mins?

I'm not really aiming to lose a stone that quickly, would 4 to 6 weeks be ok/possible?

Thanks for the welcome :)
    quozl wrote:
    Check out http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

That's the run/walk plan I started with. If it's ridiculously easy skip the first few weeks but remember your heart and lungs will be able for distance/pace a lot quicker than your tendons and ligaments. So be careful not to overstress them and injure them. He's totally right about starting off sensibly and building up easily. I'd start with 3 days a week personally, you still get a full rest day between each run.

And losing a stone takes a 49000 calorie deficet! Which is (very) roughly 490 miles running. Or more food than a normal male would eat in a fortnight anyway! Perhaps he could have practically starved himself in combination with exercise, but then how'd he even be able to do any? I think you should take his comments with a pinch of salt and don't try and measure up to them.

The running should make you feel healthier and will help with weight loss but improving your diet will make more of a difference on the weight front. Check out the fitness forum for advice.

Thanks quozl, I'm going to study that now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

BreadBoard wrote:
    I'm not really aiming to lose a stone that quickly, would 4 to 6 weeks be ok/possible?)
    You should aim for 1-2lb a week. So 7 weeks for 1 stone. If you loose more you will mess up your metabolism and go into starvation mode so you will gain weight quickly again. Also going on extreme calorie deficts will result in the loss of muscle.
    You should consider a combination of weight training and cardio/running, this will ensure you dont lose any muscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Yeah some good advice there.

Losing that much weight over such a short period of time is not a good option.

• Advertisement

Thanks for tips. I haven't been running since that night as my legs have been sore, mainly my thigh muscles, they were sore for about 2 days after.

Should I do some warming up first or would 5 mins walking be enough?

I'm going out now to do 5 mins walk 5 mins jog visa versa for 30 mins....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The walk should be enough because you're running at a nice slow pace aren't you? :)

If you're finding it too hard to recover and it's meaning you run once per four days, then slow down, find a better surface to run on (keep off the concrete) or as a last resort run slightly less far.

Then make sure you're running every second day. You'll improve a lot faster running easier every two days than a little bit harder every fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Simple tip for helping your legs recover after a run. When you're having your shower, start with a cold shower, then go to hot, and then finish with cold. It's not exactly fun, but it really helps your legs get rid of the lactic acid, and you'll feel better the next day...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My wife felt that this run/walk routine worked for her. Probably like the Coolrunning.com one, just an easier-to-read format.
    BreadBoard wrote:
    I went for my first run/walk tonight at about 11 (I'm a night owl).
    Be sure to wear hi-viz clothing and keep warm.
    BreadBoard wrote:
    Told me he lost a stone in two weeks, well he does work out alot.
    I find this extremely hard to believe. Maybe take other advice from this guy with a lot of salt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Howdy, picked up walking/jogging 2 months ago so can give you me feedback...
    Well first of all overdid it the first 3/4 weeks, damaged my tendons, needed to visit mr physio man and had to lay low for 3 weeks, issue was I was not giving myself enough breaks, essentially as I was on holidays at the time I went from zero to 5 days in a row too soon, so please pace your breaks.
    Being honest I was not able for the aforementioned 5 min jog, 5 min walk that sounds too much to me, 1 min jog and 5 min walk is plenty
    Buy good runners, ASICS seem the best.

I cut out junk food at the same time and lost a stone in 5 weeks

Not a fitness expert, just giving some real feedback, hope it helps you
    Back walking/jogging now and am going for twice a week max as I was so bad I couldnt walk a month ago with the pain, stupid me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote:
    Howdy, picked up walking/jogging 2 months ago so can give you me feedback...
    Well first of all overdid it the first 3/4 weeks, damaged my tendons, needed to visit mr physio man and had to lay low for 3 weeks, issue was I was not giving myself enough breaks, essentially as I was on holidays at the time I went from zero to 5 days in a row too soon, so please pace your breaks.
    Being honest I was not able for the aforementioned 5 min jog, 5 min walk that sounds too much to me, 1 min jog and 5 min walk is plenty
    Buy good runners, ASICS seem the best.

I cut out junk food at the same time and lost a stone in 5 weeks

Not a fitness expert, just giving some real feedback, hope it helps you
    Back walking/jogging now and am going for twice a week max as I was so bad I couldnt walk a month ago with the pain, stupid me
    Thanks slave1 that's excellent. I'm the same, 1 min run is all I can manage. I found at the start I was jogging to fast, I have being pacing myself well. I'm going to try cut out junk food totally and also cut out alcohol.

I went out Saturday night spent €100 on booze and a burger and chips after that, I felt terrible the next day and wasted €100. :(

Anyway thanks again, going to keep it up, I'm also cycling too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

BreadBoard wrote:
    I went out Saturday night spent €100 on booze and a burger and chips after that, I felt terrible the next day and wasted €100. :(

Anyway thanks again, going to keep it up, I'm also cycling too. :)

Once in a while shouldn't do too much damage to you, other than your wallet perhaps. In all fairness cutting back on things you enjoy will only make you resent training in the near future. You'll find when you're used to going out for runs fairly regularly that junk food isn't all that appealing. There's some days when I could murder a burger and chips sure, but I find on my home from training I want a sandwich and fruit or something that goes down easy.

Keep it up and you'll know why we always complain about it, injuries and sicknesses are all part and parcel of running unfortunately, but don't let that put you off, it's a great sport

Advertisement