Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Council Nominations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Thats what i thought when going forward. Dont worry there wont be an election, Ive already withdrawn.

Didn't know you were in Commerce. Love the sig by the way. It's funny because it's true. :D

Yes.....even hacks can laugh at themselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

They have a vote on council, so in effect.....

So does the Finance Officer, Irish Language Officer, Womens Officer and IT & Communications Officer

They're more sorta... programme reps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gubbie wrote:
    So does the Finance Officer, Irish Language Officer, Womens Officer and IT & Communications Officer

They're more sorta... programme reps
    We were discussing the influence of boards on the council, therefore anyone with a vote counts.

We were discussing the influence of boards on the council, therefore anyone with a vote counts.

Cool-a-boo-la then ding ding ding I get a vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gubbie wrote:
    Cool-a-boo-la then ding ding ding I get a vote :)
    Who are you that you get a vote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Tsh wanting ppl to out themselves... not hard to narrow it down though as to deduce the identity of gubbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I know nothing.... do we need to declare it on boards now our su thing?

I don't like to sha bang with the title but fine I'm engineering and architecture programme officer for the su.

I also go by
    "weren't you one of those hypnotised"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

dajaffa wrote:
    Tsh wanting ppl to out themselves... not hard to narrow it down though as to deduce the identity of gubbie

I figured it out!!..............mainly because you told me

abelard wrote:
    I figured it out!!..............mainly because you told me

AGH WHO YOU??

I'm so exposed. You ever have that dream when your in school...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

panda100 wrote:
    Is Vain of the gory a class rep?I dont see her name down? Also gushering is a class rep too that makes:
    Stepherunie,the minister,panda,gushering,byrno,angeloffire,dajjaffa and pretty monster. Thats a pretty mixed bunch of us:)
    Its also great to see John Purdue as eng rep,a fellow world aid socian.hes lovely if not slightly mad :D

Thanks for remembering me Panda! I'm not on here too much though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I made a mistake in my nomination form I got too many Social Science students who are in another constituency instead of Arts students doing Sociology.

Anyway I cannot believe Morgan ruled that my nominaton was invalid.

I'm running in another election anyway.Not class rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Conor he didn't rule it was valid. He ruled it was invalid. Which it was. You can't expect to be allowed run if you're nomination has a basic error like that as you haven't proved that you have the support of 10 of your constituents, which is the reason for the signature requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Conor he didn't rule it was valid. He ruled it was invalid. Which it was. You can't expect to be allowed run if you're nomination has a basic error like that as you haven't proved that you have the support of 10 of your constituents, which is the reason for the signature requirement.
    I'm with JB on this one, Conor... he has to be by the book and as obvious as it would be that you could get the support of 10 constituents, you can't prove it, and so...

To all those who lose their elections, seriously, stay involved, go to first Council, see what happens, stay interested anyway. I did it last year and was Secretary within a month of losing my Class Rep election. Best decision I ever made was to go to that first Council anyway, and if you get the chance of going to the Class Rep Training weekend, do that too - amazing craic as well as being a very worthwhile experience.

Yeah invalid that what I meant.

Anyhow..

It's a 50/50 between myself and another 1st year for Economics And Finance..

Hope i can get the votes of any boardsies doing the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Best of luck to all running anyway. Also, Conor, keep the chin up, if it's meant to be you'll find a way in.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Best of luck to all running anyway. Also, Conor, keep the chin up, if it's meant to be you'll find a way in.

Cheers I'm running in another election so if I get elected then I'll be on the Council.

There is one consolation the constituency I was originally going to run in is very contested with four girls running for one position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

what are you running for instead?

The only other one that would get him onto Council would be something from the Societies Council. Enda Duffy and Paddy Rath were the two societies reps last year; there are also traditionally two seats for sports clubs aswell but are rarely filled because there's no real Sports Clubs Council at which they could nominate their reps. There could be some other small nominees of some sort to Council aswell but the Societies one is the only one I can guarantee is an actual Council seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

I think he's running for the bar committee, which then elects one representative on to council.

I stand to be corrected, however.

Vainglory wrote:
    I think he's running for the bar committee, which then elects one representative on to council.

Indeed, the Bar committee does have a seat on Council, I'd thought these had been filled as minor never-contested elections last March though. But how and ever, yes, just one of the many ways you can get onto SU Council and give you the lovely position of having a de facto personal secretary like Vainglory or myself. Or our successor... *cough*Boardsie*cough*.

The only other one that would get him onto Council would be something from the Societies Council. Enda Duffy and Paddy Rath were the two societies reps last year; there are also traditionally two seats for sports clubs aswell but are rarely filled because there's no real Sports Clubs Council at which they could nominate their reps. There could be some other small nominees of some sort to Council aswell but the Societies one is the only one I can guarantee is an actual Council seat.
    Hmm, do those ppl get to go on the class rep training weekend thingy?

any other ways onto council?

Vainglory wrote:

Well done!!

Didn't want to mention it because people might go for it like Kaptain Redeye but anyway the deadline is passed.Just a precaution you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Chakar wrote:
    Well done!!

Didn't want to mention it because people might go for it like Kaptain Redeye but anyway the deadline is passed.Just a precaution you understand.

Probably would have been a sweeter victory if it had to be fought for. Congrats nonetheless Conor! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

You don't have to be a rep or in any of those positions to go to traing, afaik. When I went last year, most of the people I shared a house with weren't actually reps. (Generally four people stay in each house.) One of those "non-reps" was a certain Mr singingstranger! But it transpired that he got much more involved than I in any case. :D

elmyra wrote:
    Probably would have been a sweeter victory if it had to be fought for. Congrats nonetheless Conor! :D

Its not confirmed by the way whether there will be an election or not.

Probably will know by Friday.

Hang on, I have to hold you up on this. You didn't say which election it was, purely to lower its profile and to stop the chance of having anyone else to run against?

Am I the only one here who finds that an abhorrently pathetic attitude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Hang on, I have to hold you up on this. You didn't say which election it was, purely to lower its profile and to stop the chance of having anyone else to run against?

Am I the only one here who finds that an abhorrently pathetic attitude?

Given the standards of his party the answer to that question is pretty self evident. Nothing personal Chakar but the apples don't fall far from the tree!

Advertisement