Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Council Nominations

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

GusherING wrote:
    Given the standards of his party the answer to that question is pretty self evident. Nothing personal Chakar but the apples don't fall far from the tree!
    I don't think it's a party thing as such, and I wouldn't label the tactic to be solely in their preserve, nor that everyone in the party does so. But the idea of not telling people about an election just flies in the face of running for that position in the first place. It's supposed to be a representative position, how can you consciously take the position and not have people know about it? Sorry, Chakar, absolutely nothing personal but I think if you want a seat on Council you should at least be a little more public and willing to fight for it than go the underhand route of taking a seat nobody else knows about nominations for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've been surprised a few times when people have excused unscrupulous behaviour on the grounds that it was a political tactic. Even if you're just playing politics in the SU or a youth political party the most significant factor when chosing a candidate is their character and who wants someone without priciples in a position of leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Meh, maybe Ill get in as a society rep.

*Pleads with fellow boardses with influence to get Podge elected as a societies rep. One vote per society tomorrow in societies office between 1-2*

Im on the bar committee of the centre club, fairly confident I could have got the SU bar too but declined the nomination (Im not greedy :))
    I really do want to have a vote on the SU council, which is surprising considering how I hated "hacks" in first year, was apathetic in second and now I could well be argued I am one.

Anyone know any other ways to get onto council if this bid fails

Ps. Im going for the finance committee as well, vote Steve and Podge 1 and 2 (as you see fit) please. A vote for us, is a vote for small societies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Hang on, I have to hold you up on this. You didn't say which election it was, purely to lower its profile and to stop the chance of having anyone else to run against?

Am I the only one here who finds that an abhorrently pathetic attitude?

As Henry Kissinger said..

"University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small"

It was publicised on the newswire of www.ucdsu.net

So what I didn't mention it on here its only boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I don't think it's a party thing as such, and I wouldn't label the tactic to be solely in their preserve, nor that everyone in the party does so. But the idea of not telling people about an election just flies in the face of running for that position in the first place. It's supposed to be a representative position, how can you consciously take the position and not have people know about it? Sorry, Chakar, absolutely nothing personal but I think if you want a seat on Council you should at least be a little more public and willing to fight for it than go the underhand route of taking a seat nobody else knows about nominations for.

uNFORTUNALTY FOR cHAKER, HE WILL AHVE TO RUN IN AN ELECTION AGAINST OTHER BAR REPS SUCH AS tARA Lee Byrne etc. Just by gaining that seat on the bar committee it does not entitle him to an automatic seat on council. There is only one seat and there are three reps already in place. Paddy Hillery, Brian Doyle, and Tara. Both Paddy and Brian are after gaining places on council and as far as im aware Tara wants to take the remaining seat on council, so Chalker will have to go one step further before regaining a seat on council. Apparently the Bar Committee will elect their candidate tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Het-Field wrote:
    uNFORTUNALTY FOR cHAKER, HE WILL AHVE TO RUN IN AN ELECTION AGAINST OTHER BAR REPS SUCH AS tARA Lee Byrne etc. Just by gaining that seat on the bar committee it does not entitle him to an automatic seat on council. There is only one seat and there are three reps already in place. Paddy Hillery, Brian Doyle, and Tara. Both Paddy and Brian are after gaining places on council and as far as im aware Tara wants to take the remaining seat on council, so Chalker will have to go one step further before regaining a seat on council. Apparently the Bar Committee will elect their candidate tomorrow

I've been elected to the Bar Management Committee of the Student Club as there was only one nomination and by the way I will be contesting that seat on the Council against whoever.

Hopefully I will succeed.

Het-Field, There is two Bar Management Committees the Forum Bar and the Student Club.Which one are you talking about??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Best of luck to Tara Lee.

Advertisement