Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband and IP addresses

Options
  • 01-10-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with IP addresses and BT broadband are they static or are they changed regularly? Im just curious because I want to setup a awebserver and it will cause compications if the IP is changed a lot.

Thanks,

Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

BT reset your connection every 24 hrs and assign you a new ip address for every session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

F***! Thats obviously because they dont want people like me to run servers from their connections!! What to do??
    Thanks ongarite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vimak

get a dedicated server from germany, you can get some old machine with 500GB monthly traffic under 20e a month, virtual servers as low as 40 euros a year (1GB hdd, 50GB/mo traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

so I will not be able to run a server at home at all then??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

so I will not be able to run a server at home at all then??
    Well it's against the terms of your service to run any kind of server on a home broadband connection from BT. Also, at a max of 384kbps upload, your server would be pathetically slow.

You can get website hosting from various companies in Ireland and other countries. They're reasonably cheap too, depending on what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

F***! Thats obviously because they dont want people like me to run servers from their connections!! What to do??
    Thanks ongarite.
    No, it's because they don't want people who don't know what they're doing to be running servers.

You don't need a static IP address to run a server. The modem provided by BT supports Dynamic DNS services.

Advertisement