Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I hide files starting with .

• 02-10-2006 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I'm using windows on a mac and a lot of mac system files start with a full stop. These files get hidden in an OS X enviornment. Is there a way I can get windows to hide these files too?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try turining on the system attribute, right click and into file properties or
    Attrib .filename +s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

try turining on the system attribute, right click and into file properties or
    Attrib .filename +s

Could you give me brief instructions on how do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What Capt'n is suggesting, is that for a particular file, you right click the file (not sure how you right-click with a one button mouse!), and from the [attributes] section of the properties page, ensure that [Hidden] is checked. You can also apply this to a directory, include the actual directory and the files contained within the directory.

Now here's the thing: The files and folders with the hidden attribute will only appear hidden to users who have the following option selected in their explorer folder options:
    [Tools][Folder Options][Tab:View][Do not show hidden files and folders]
    Otherwise, they can see files and folders even if they have the hidden attribute.. If you want these to be hidden to any user regardless, you'll have to use a third-party application, that messes around with how the OS operates.

By the way, to get to properties with only a single button mouse, you can select [Properties] from Explorer's file menu (while you have an object selected).

Hope this helps.

You gotta shift yourself to the left to right-click with one button.

What Cap' M is describing will only hide the particular folder/file that I tell it to hide, right?

I'm looking for a method to hide all files that begin with . automatically. There are thousands of them spread about and I can't go round doing them all in seperatly, expecially with the said right-click problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you perform a search for .* you can find all of the files that begin with a full-stop, followed by a sequence orf characters.

When the search is completed, multi-select the files, go to [File] [Properties] and turn on the hidden attribute. Should do the trick..

Just make sure that the .* search has selected the right selection of files.. Some search engines/tools may locate everything with a . and a sequence of characters, which would be the equivalent of all files in the system.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I'll give it a shot tonight. I should probably search google when I've got the energy, for a way which will make new . files automatically be hidden. I'm sure everyone using boot camp would like to do the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Create a text file and rename it first to make sure it works before you mess with system files. I haven't tried this.

In windows XP -
    start
    run
    cmd

to get the command pompt C:\documents and settings\blah blah blah>_
    then type
    CD \
    attrib .* +s /s

not sure what effect this will have on folders

http://www.macwindows.com is a must see for general queries
    http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html

I tried to search for all the .files and then tried to set them to hidde, but for some reason the Hidden option is greyed out.

I also tried typing attrib a.txt +s /s , where s.txt is some text file. The command prompt just crashes/looped. It didn't seem to do anything to a.txt.

Any ideas on either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I tried to search for all the .files and then tried to set them to hidde, but for some reason the Hidden option is greyed out.
    Depending on where the file is, and whether you have permission to change its attributes, one file that you are not able to alter will block the mass settings change.

Advertisement