Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small accident..

Options
  • 02-10-2006 3:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Long story short,
    Lady reversed her jeep tow into front of the car - got out and admitted responsibility.
    Decided to report to guards afterwards - they rang back saying that the lady said that it was the other way around...

Two whitnesses - one in each car

Whats gonna happen...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Ronanom wrote:
    Long story short,
    Lady reversed her jeep tow into front of the car - got out and admitted responsibility.
    Decided to report to guards afterwards - they rang back saying that the lady said that it was the other way around...

Whats gonna happen...

Feck sake. Are you saying she told the guards you drove into the back of her?
    Surely both witnesses cant have different stories?! Did you get phone numbers for the witnesses - call them and ask them to ring the guards and confirm your story. As for that other woman, well if she has changed the story to incriminate you she needs a good slap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ronanom wrote:
    Whats gonna happen...
    Neither witness is unbiased - you presumably know your passenger and she presumably knows hers.

It'll probably be decided as 50-50 and you'll both have to pay for the damage to your own cars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Actually, if you run into the back of someone then your at fault even if they jam on the brakes so maybe that is what the guard is taking about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

What a b1tch!
    Suggest to the Garda that she can settle outside the insurance company. Perhaps, as happened me once, she is more afraid of what hubby thinks than what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Next time try to get a written confession from the other party signed and dated including time.
    Unfortunately she changed her story in her favour which is not nice, but if you can not prove it, you are in the wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Admission of liability at the scene isn't necessarily binding, they can change their opinion later on.

Chances are she got back in the jeep, and her passenger said "Say he hit you, I'll back you up".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If there is no one injured, the Gardaí are not generally interested in who is responsible. They will advise both parties to sort it out themselves or leave it to their respective insurers to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Did she get your insurance details? Get on to your insurance company and tell them what happened, and tell them that if she puts in a claim against you they are NOT to pay out. IIRC, insurance companies do not have to inform you if they are paying out a claim against you.

Fey! wrote:
    Did she get your insurance details? Get on to your insurance company and tell them what happened, and tell them that if she puts in a claim against you they are NOT to pay out. IIRC, insurance companies do not have to inform you if they are paying out a claim against you.
    AFAIK if you go through the insurance company, you have no say whether it's paid or not. It is ,in effect, 'their accident' and they are entitled to do as they wish. If they decide to pay out rather than contest it in court, there is little you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Who rang the guards?

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Who rang the guards?
    From the OP it would appear that each party reported the accident seperately (at a Garda Station presumeably). No report of Gardaí at the scene.

From the OP it would appear that each party reported the accident seperately (at a Garda Station presumeably). No report of Gardaí at the scene.

Well tbh I think its stupid not to report an accident to the Guards at the time, regardless of the severity of it, esp if you're not in the wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Right Niall, whats the craic...
    Happened to my brother in Sligo..Guards are looking into cctv footage hopfully.
    He was stopped and she reversed straight out and around in a X5 i think..

Ronanom wrote:
    Right Niall, whats the craic...
    Happened to my brother in Sligo..Guards are looking into cctv footage hopfully.
    He was stopped and she reversed straight out and around in a X5 i think..

Silly b1tch. Try to get CCTV if ya can and he'll be sorted. Next time tell him to ring the fuzz as soon as anything like that happens esp if its not his fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Good mechanic should be able to prove who was moving at the time, you could also mentio forensics and cameras and she id she gets scared.

If not go to court and she is she willing to lie in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ronanom wrote:
    Long story short,

Whats gonna happen...

What an ignorant dishonest b1tch. I would be fuming- i would find it hard to control my anger if I was you! Just highlights the importance of calling the guards at the time of the cow reversing into you- good luck and don't give an inch...You did nothing wrong afterall...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Did you get her phone number? I would ring her and ask her to explain how she feels it is now your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. A few years ago, he was out, and met this youngwan. She agreed thathe coudl have a few drinks, and she'd drive his new 3 series BMW home,
    She drove it into the gates of Dolphin's Barn church, demolished them, and did a legger, The cops arrive and find him unconcious in the passenger seat and assume it's the oldest trick in the book, and that he was the driver.
    They did track her down, but she swore he was driving - she had no insurance. He got a ban and a huge fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Ronanom
    Can we get the long story long...

Why was she revesing in the first place ?
    Were you parked at the time
    Was she doing a U'ie

If we get the full story then we might be able to poke a few holes in her version.

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If it was in a private carpark, then chances are that there's a camera somewhere. On the street, have a look and see if there are cameras on the street outside shops and pubs - look carefully, as some of them are very discreet. Also look into shop windows to see if they have cameras pointing out the window. Most shopkeepers will have no problem giving you the footage if you bring them in a blank DVD/CD-RW or VHS cassette. Just make sure you have the time of the incident.

Also, talk to shop assistants - if it was quiet and they were bored, they may have been gawping out the window and might have seen it happen

I know it seems like a lot of hassle, but could be worthwhile in the long run. Gardai won't always be anxious to do that type of legwork. Send copies to your insurance company along with witness contact details - the woman in the X5 is making a fraudulent claim which your insurance company should be happy to dispute.

Wishbone - WRT my previous post, the policyholder isn't making a claim, but the other party might. If she does, they mightn't inform the policyholder, assuming that he knows about it and saving themselves the cost of a phonecall/stamp. The first he might know of it is when he goes to renew his policy.

• Advertisement

Hey,
    It happened in the Carpark of Sligo trainstation..
    My brother was at a standstill and she reversed out of a car park space and around and into him...

Not sure if there is any cctv footage - the guard said she would check tomorrow.

Damage comes to 1,700 euro which is pretty unbelieveable when you see the impression that it left - however it caught just where the bonnet release lever is and so now the bonnet doesnt open..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I'd also follow up with the car park to make sure the gard did actually contact them. Better safe than sorry!!!

Ha..was all captured on cctv...i'm gonna hang 'er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

haha:D , delighted to see that. Silly b1tch deserves everything she gets now. I hope guards go through her now.

I was just going to say if you had her number to let her know it was all caught on CCTV and you were going to report it.

Naaaa..i'll let her run amuk for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

defo keep us updated¬!!!! would be interesting to hear what happens from here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

angry mob..... HANG HER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Well, if my memory serves me right, it has recently (in the last 2 years) become a criminal offence to falsely claim in relation to insurance (it didn't used to be, you could go around claiming all sorts of things, hoping someone would pay off rather than go to court).

She could be in a right bit of bother now.

Karma's a beatch, as they say! :p

M.

I'd drag her all the way to court for this tbh. I know its a lot of time/hassle and costs the tax payers money, but this b1tch tried to make a false claim.... FRAUD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

RONANOM I am absolutely delighted that you got the crucial evidence to exculpate you and incriminate her. You are very lucky indeed.

I utterly detest bare faced liars who try it on like this.

Be sure your insurance company knows the current situation as a lot of them are now staffed by utter thicks.

Ask your insurers to get a copy of the garda abstract report. I would love to see if the other driver and her witness made statements. If so, they may be in a bit of bother for making false statements.

Sometimes, an abstract report will identify potential witnesses who have not given a statement. If so, your insurers can approach the other passenger for a statement !

Report to this to your insurers as a potential fraud case and ask them to deal with it as such.

You never know, when you spring the trap on the other motorist she might want to pay you extra damages for the distress that she has undoubtedly caused you by virtue of her malice. I am not suggesting that you demand money from her !

It would be great if she sued you first. As the plaintiff she would give evidence first. Then your guys could open the video evidence to her on cross examination to nail her to the spot. The District Justice might even report her for perjury and she would deserve it !

Well done again :)

Advertisement