Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

outsourced driving testers

Options
  • 02-10-2006 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

HI

I just got a letter to say that my driving test is coming up. I got it from a company called SGS Ireland Ltd. I wanted to ask if anybody knows who these guys are? and under what remit they have been contracted by the department of transport (ie are they being paid by the driving test (in which case its in their interest to fail people) or by cutting the waiting list (in which case its in their interest to pass people).

Does anybody know?

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bullrunner wrote:
    I just got a letter to say that my driving test is coming up. I got it from a company called SGS Ireland Ltd. I wanted to ask if anybody knows who these guys are? and under what remit they have been contracted by the department of transport (ie are they being paid by the driving test (in which case its in their interest to fail people) or by cutting the waiting list (in which case its in their interest to pass people).
    I don't think it would be in their interest as they have an international reputation to uphold. AFAIK they would also be testing motorists subject to the criterion laid down by the Department of Transport. I imagine that the fail rate may increase as they may be fussier than the current department testers!
    Their contract would be subject to evaluation and I'm sure it is tendered for a specific period and open to other companies to tender for.

Their slogan is "When you need to be sure".

http://www.ie.sgs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

How long have you been waiting for the test bullrunner?

Here's the news blurb from their website -> http://www.ie.sgs.com/driver_testing_temporarily_outsourced_to_sgs_ireland?viewId=5950

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

I've been waiting since january for my test.

My biggest concern is that they are basically being paid by number of tests they have...and as such will be more likely to fail people. Also as I will be one of the first few that they examine, i think that they will be stricter at the start (so as not to be deemed easy examiners) than the department.

**edited because of my poor grammer!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So they're finally getting underway with it. About bloody time. I rang the driving test centre number today as I felt I was overdue for my test, and the waiting lists have gone up again since they were posted to the web.

Anyway, best of luck bullrunner. You never know, you might have an easier time of it. Provisional ignition is supposed to be easier to pass than a driving test, even though they say it's to "driving test" standards. If anything, it might be fairer criteria for passing. Full-time driving testers are supposed to vary in what they expect from certain situations (such as keep to speed limit vs keep with traffic etc.)

bullrunner wrote:
    my poor grammer!

'grammar' - sorry, I couldn't resist! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

10 months doesn't seem so bad. I was waiting 18 months in Naas when I applied for mine 2004. So what's the average waiting time now?

Just noticed on the official driving test website that for candidates who are being tested by SGS that the test centre will be determined by your address....hmmm maybe all my lessons around my chosen test centre routes have been in vain!

http://www.drivertesting.ie/generalinfo.html

It says on the website that you can re-arrange your test centre to suit.

I rang SGS and booked my test for Naas...in 5 weeks...at 1.10....hopefully get stuck in traffic for the test :D

I asked what test centres they have available..and they differ from those on the website...they dont have any in finglas or raheny as advertised..instead its in ballymun at the NCT centre (which they also run!!)

me thinks theres a link here between these 2 'independent' contracts having been awarded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

bullrunner wrote:
    me thinks theres a link here between these 2 'independent' contracts having been awarded!

Of course there is a link, they are the same tramps that love to fail people NCT for a tiny hole in the indicator etc. plus we are dealing with the most corrupt government this country has ever seen. (see my sig)

I am waiting a month now for my test, I will be happy as long as I am called before my Insurance Expires next may. Private operators have no place in this and obviously there is problem and for most problems in life there is a solution, in this case the government has decided to privatise Driver Testing instead of hiring new testers and creating new jobs :mad:

If my test is with them I will be taking it to court as Article 45, Section 2, Pt iii. states. That, especially, the operation of free competition shall not be allowed so to develop as to result in the concentration of the ownership or control of essential commodities in a few individuals to the common detriment.

It is unconstitutional but the Gov are too lazy to do things right, instead we will privatise it and make Bertie's friends richer while Joe Soap gets screwed, fail his test and let his insurance rocket as a result. They done the same with Aer Lingus, Speed camera's, the NCT etc. It is nothing but sheer laziness. Thankfully I didn't put my car for an NCT and don't intend to either

Sorry for the rant but this affects me personally as it is fairly obvious that the aim of the game is to fail people now.

• Advertisement

bullrunner wrote:
    I rang SGS and booked my test for Naas...in 5 weeks...at 1.10....hopefully get stuck in traffic for the test :D

Actually I'd hate to be stuck in traffic. I wouldn't know whether I'm supposed to just relax or be looking around like a granny on acid while sitting there. Not to mention people walking between slow moving cars, each one of them counting as a "hazard". If you're near a school then you're ****ed. I did my driving test in a similar situation and I clocked up four marks for hazard ovoidance.

I mean I didn't hit one of the little ****s ffs. Well, maybe one, but he bounced right up again. ;)

Uhm, but anyway, I'm sure you'll do fine... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

netwhizkid wrote:
    Private operators have no place in this and obviously there is problem and for most problems in life there is a solution, in this case the government has decided to privatise Driver Testing instead of hiring new testers and creating new jobs :mad:

Sorry for the rant but this affects me personally as it is fairly obvious that the aim of the game is to fail people now.

Hmm , IMHO a private company would have to be much more accountable and consistant in their marking than the public testers where the pass rates vary between 43.4% and 68.2% (thats a massive 57.1% varience in pass rate!!) how can enyone explain that the drivers in Tipperary are apparently 57.1% less likely to pass than ones in Shannon. If you live in Shannon than maybe you would think you have a case, how would you feel if you lived in Tipperary ??
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Thankfully I didn't put my car for an NCT and don't intend to either

You have no choice in this, its the law. And imho the NCT has done a lot towards taking a lot of crappy unsafe cars off Irish roads and while there could be better (more rigorous systems) It's an Irish miracle that it actually is bloody efficient and fast here (at least in Dublin when I've been in the last two times)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

netwhizkid wrote:
    they are the same tramps that love to fail people NCT for a tiny hole in the indicator etc.
    :rolleyes: The car test requirements are set by the Vehicle Standards Section of the Department of the Environment and Local Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Yeah i just got the date for mine, Halloween evening at twenty to 4, Its gonna be like bagdat in rush hour,

so do i avoid the banger or just keep going, rockets and crazy children coming at the car, its gonna be fun,

was waiting almost 15months maybe longer,

I'd say **** that and ask to reschedule.

There's a reason why most cancellations are for the 1:00 slot on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

netwhizkid wrote:
    Thankfully I didn't put my car for an NCT and don't intend to either
    Well you do know that when you go to sell your car on, the absence of an NCT cert seriously devalues the car. Don't you?

Stark wrote:
    I'd say **** that and ask to reschedule.

There's a reason why most cancellations are for the 1:00 slot on a Friday.

eh...can you expand on this reason Stark (as surprisingly enough my test is for exactly that day and time!!)

thx
    netwhizkid wrote:
    If my test is with them I will be taking it to court as Article 45, Section 2, Pt iii. states. That, especially, the operation of free competition shall not be allowed so to develop as to result in the concentration of the ownership or control of essential commodities in a few individuals to the common detriment.

what law is this you are quoting?

I agree with you that I think the aim now is to fail more people than pass driving tests.

bullrunner wrote:
    eh...can you expand on this reason Stark (as surprisingly enough my test is for exactly that day and time!!)

thx

A lot of kids get half days on a Friday. You have mothers parking their cars in the most awkward places and excited kids running about everywhere. Every testee's worst nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

well i think the reason why the pass rate in Shannon is so high is because a lot of people from Clare do the test there. Clare people are obviously great drivers :D:D:D

No only messing, Shannon is a planned town isn't it so the road layout is very straight forward. No tight winding streets where kids can just step out from behind parked cars

My brother passed his test first time there, with only one driving lesson

In a honda Civic

lowered

and an exhaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

bullrunner wrote:
    what law is this you are quoting?

I agree with you that I think the aim now is to fail more people than pass driving tests.

BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN, THE CONSTITUTION OF IRELAND, what is happening with the current government and Privatisation in unconstitutional and is in breach of our rights and should I get a letter from SGS, be prepared to see me on the news and my legal attorneys with me.

The whole aim will now be to repeatedly fail people and keep them coming in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stark wrote:
    A lot of kids get half days on a Friday. You have mothers parking their cars in the most awkward places and excited kids running about everywhere. Every testee's worst nightmare.

Nah, I did mine in Finglas around 13:00 and passed, tbh if you can't handle kids on the streets then you don't deserve the license in the first place.

Its not a nightmare at all, didn't even think about it, was just a normal part of driving at this time.
    A driving test on a frosty January evening..now that would be a little scary !!(but equally valid for the time of year i suppose)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

bullrunner wrote:

I asked what test centres they have available..and they differ from those on the website...they dont have any in finglas or raheny as advertised..instead its in ballymun at the NCT centre (which they also run!!)

Is it possible to book the test directly with SGS? That would be handy and a lot quicker!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

SGS Website says:
    • You should get offer 6-8 weeks before date, but you MUST confirm or re-arrange
    • Not sure about their centres being relevant to location. Website says people who applied to Churchtown/Rathgar may get Fonthill or Deansgrange NCT centres - Fonthill is a heck of a long way from Churchtown/Rathgar
    • " arrangements are in place to ensure that the content and nature of the test is the same as that provided by the Department (of Transport) directly" - so bad luck its going to be the same hit and miss system with no explanations, whim of examiner etc etc.
    I would be VERY interested to hear genuine feedback from boarders who have taken a test with SGS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

netwhizkid wrote:
    BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN, THE CONSTITUTION OF IRELAND, what is happening with the current government and Privatisation in unconstitutional and is in breach of our rights and should I get a letter from SGS, be prepared to see me on the news and my legal attorneys with me.

I have started holding my breath in anticipation.

MrP

Advertisement