Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Greens flooded

Options
  • 02-10-2006 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new estate, still not completed. Lights still to be put up, final layer of tar etc. However the greens were leveled in May and seeded, which was fine, however in recent weeks with all the rain, I have noticed that there appears to be no drainage which results in substantial flooding. And these floods linger for days and days.

Any ideas? Is there grounds to get the developer to rethink the way he did things?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭sudzs

Sounds like typical developer behaviour. They just level off the ground leaving mostly subsoil which has little or no soil structure (containing sand, grit, organic matter...) and so it has no drainage.

I recently moved out of a new estate like that! During the drought in the summer all the grass just died because as well as subsoil having no drainage it also has little ability to retain moisture.

As for geting them to sort it out, well I've no clue on that one. But it might be worth you while to take photos of the the floods, just for the record.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sounds bad all right, although not unusual with new estates. Best to contact the developer to get it sorted before they leave site. It may also be worthwhile to contact the council to let them know about it before the developer hands over the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there'll be an estate snag list before the estate is handed over to the council or (more likely) management company.

get onto the management company and make sure they are aware of this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

there will be no management company.

Will take the pics (I'm sure there will be more severe rain) and forward them to developer/council.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi while i know that is builder practice just to spread top soil over whatever assorted treats lie beneath provided the waste under neath is just that sub soil and some "clean rubble" then it makes more sense to leave it there and in a year or two the soil will have developed enough structure to soak away most of the water. my back garden used to be like this house only 1 year old but now with a few plants and the grass growing the situation has improved no end would have to say that the inclusion of plants other than grass will go a long way to imporving the structure also a good reason for all the trees that have been planted to imporve water take up etc.

Not too sure if anyone is responsible after all soil structure development is a natural thing and to force it with man made drainage is maybe not the best remember we all want these houses built as we bought them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement