Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Folens to wipe 'British Isles' off the map in new atlas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

or for the Franco-German region
    North European Plain, although give Poland and BeNeLux a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jahalpin wrote:
    Why are Irish people so childish? The term "British Isles" refers to the fact that there are 2 islands which are close together the larger of which is Great Britain. They have been called the British Isles for hundreds of years and it is only childish Irish republicans who seem to take offence at it., these are probably the same people who would be against an official visit from HM The Queen amd also against the use of the flag of the United Kingdom on government buildings in Northern Ireland
    well said......

what a prickly lot some of you are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

corktina wrote:
    Look across the water! Pretending you aren't European, rejecting the Euro, opting out of EU integration, and when opting in screaming about it..

Slagging the French with a passion that borders on obsession.

Constant references to WW11, the great escape and all that, whilst all the time completely rejecting your Germanic ancestry!

There is something about Britannia and ruling the waves (or at least laying claim to them) around Ireland that is almost entertaining. Sure I forgot, don't ye own Rackall as well?

Think re childishness, it can apply equally on both sides of the sea.. In fact it's global. Offensiveness, well that's a wee bit different..

The real question is why do people on the other island feel the need to name this island at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

corktina wrote:
    well said......

Are ye just trying to be awkward?

What exactly is your objection to not using the term British Isles. It's got nothing to do with the Queen in her damn undies or your own political biases in regards to republicans etc.

Cos it seems to revolve around a form of snorting smugness. That it doesn't make a difference anyway. And anyway, it's just sputtering RA heads on here that are advocating that. As well as throwing poo at the Queen and rioting in Oconnell st.

Well, if it makes so little difference to you, if you don't care one way or another, then why are you objecting? Why are you expanding the issue to include things that nobody here mentioned? 'Navan Junction' is right - it's a tag loaded with historical baggage. It's also completely unnecessary. From a purely academic standpoint, the name is undesirable.

Let the publisher change the atlas.

irtish Times, 05/10/2006

Newton's Optic: The present hullabaloo over the term 'British Isles' is just a load of John Bull, writes Newton Emerson

The term "British Isles" will be removed from geography textbooks following a complaint from a parent. The term is considered offensive by many people who lead full and rewarding lives.

Confusion arises because 10 per cent of the inhabitants of the British Isles are Irish, most of whom live on the island of Ireland, where 20 per cent of the inhabitants are British. There are no immediate plans to find a more correct term for "Ireland".

Several alternative names have been suggested for the archipelago sharing the continental shelf off northwestern Europe.

These include The 90 Per Cent British Isles, The British And Irish (Including The British Part Of Ireland) Isles and the EU-preferred Archipelago Sharing the Continental Shelf off Northwestern Europe.

However, the terminology used in the Belfast Agreement is the most likely to gain widespread acceptance. Under the agreement, the British Isles are referred to as "These Islands", except outside the British Isles where they are referred to as "Those Islands".

Within These Islands, the island of Ireland is referred to as "This Island", except outside the island of Ireland where it is referred to as "That Island".

This Island includes the Blasket Islands which are referred to as the Blasket Islands, except on the Blasket Islands where they are referred to as These Islands, and Ireland is referred to as That Island, despite both being part of This Island.

Textbook publishers are confident that this will still be easier for children to understand than the biography of Peig Sayers.

The Belfast Agreement itself is often referred to by some unionists as the Good Friday agreement, but this has nothing to do with this or that, so it is neither here nor there.

Cartographers believe the term "Irish Sea" is not offensive as nobody lives in the sea.

However, this situation could change if global warming causes the Irish Sea to flood 10 per cent of Britain.

Of more immediate concern is the village of Ireland in Bedfordshire. Including this in a school textbook would offend almost everyone in These Islands who leads a full and interesting life.

Geography experts say it is unfortunate that the village was not destroyed 20 years ago by an IRA bomb, as many people who find the term "British Isles" offensive would not have found that offensive at all.

Perhaps the greatest threat to an agreed system of geographical nomenclature between These Islands is posed by the Isle of Man.

Officially part of the British Isles, but not part of the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man is a crown dependency in the middle of the Irish Sea, which could scarcely be more of a provocation.

The island's name is also highly offensive to women who lead full and interesting lives.

Textbook publishers suggest that the Isle of Man might be renamed the Isle of People or at the very least the Isle of Man and Woman.

The offensive nature of its constitutional status could be resolved by leaving inland areas dependent on the crown, while coastal areas elect a president.

Irish Government sources remain optimistic that all these issues can be resolved peacefully. "It's simple enough," explained a Fianna Fáil spokesman yesterday.

"There are two major islands in the Archipelago Sharing the Continental Shelf off Northwestern Europe.

"One where you have to pay tax on a gift and one where you don't."

© The Irish Times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Irish Government sources remain optimistic that all these issues can be resolved peacefully. "It's simple enough," explained a Fianna Fáil spokesman yesterday.

"There are two major islands in the Archipelago Sharing the Continental Shelf off Northwestern Europe.

"One where you have to pay tax on a gift and one where you don't."
    Nice sense of humour in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

"They" already have names.. Ireland, and Britain.
    The British Isles is the name for the entire archipelago, not just Ireland and Britain. Using Ireland and Britain omits the Isle of Man, Scilly Isles, Isle of White, Orkneys, Shetland, Achill, Skelig Michael, Rathlin, Tory and many other offshore islands. The British Isles encompasses all these. The name Ireland and Britain is therefore not a direct substitute for the term British Isles.

murphaph wrote:
    The British Isles is the name for the entire archipelago, not just Ireland and Britain. Using Ireland and Britain omits the Isle of Man, Scilly Isles, Isle of White, Orkneys, Shetland, Achill, Skelig Michael, Rathlin, Tory and many other offshore islands. The British Isles encompasses all these. The name Ireland and Britain is therefore not a direct substitute for the term British Isles.
    Nope. It's a loaded term, under the guise of geographic nessessity, to feed nostagic longings for a retreated empire. Why else would you choose to name another country after your own?

If this is a british Isle, then that makes me a british Islander. And I do find that offensive, and highly entertaining that another country would have the neck to do so.

Good letters in the Irish Times today. Comments such as "How would the Dutch and Belgians feel if they were called the German region"? Or the Portugese if Spain and Portugal were the "Spanish Peninsula".

And of course another letter calling any Irish person that dare question their Britishness as prickly.

"The british Isles" is a loaded term, used for a reason. If it is merely a geographic term, why isn't confined to geographic usage?!

Regarding britain and Ireland, as I said those are the names of the 2 biggest islands in this region of Northwest Europe. It wasn't an attempt to call every rock as one name or the other. Though, in fairness most of the islands in the region belong to one or other of the 2 countries.

The term "British Isles" gives the impression that the all (for the want of a better word) belongs to britain. Look at another notorious term, "THE MAINLAND". Imagine my surprise when I discovered this was a reference to britain rather than France or Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for sharing that article, Navan Junction. Very funny indeed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If this is a british Isle, then that makes me a british Islander. And I do find that offensive, and highly entertaining that another country would have the neck to do so.
    But Canadians, Mexicans and Brazilians are also Americans. It's just a quirk like that. It's not even a term I'd use very often, mainly on boards actually! :D

murphaph wrote:
    But Canadians, Mexicans and Brazilians are also Americans. It's just a quirk like that. It's not even a term I'd use very often, mainly on boards actually! :D
    Don't worry - I wouldn't to take offence..

Most times I ignore that term - in certain circumstances it really gets up my nose.. I can't think of anything I've ever read on boards.ie (that originated on boards) that has gotten up my nose.. It's just that kind of environment...:rolleyes:

Ah, where's nordydan when you need him... I'll long remember that line from him "Here come Murphaph Dudley Edwards, with more treasonous rantings..."

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

The British Isles is a handy term to be used when refering to the UK and ROI. Eg. a concise "I toured the British Isles" as opposed to the yawn-inducing "I toured England, Scotland, Wales, the Six Counties of Northern Ireland and the Twenty Six Counties of the Irish Republic."

And here's the thing. 100 years ago, these islands were British.

Metrobest wrote:
    And here's the thing. 100 years ago, these islands were British.
    And here's the other thing. Now they are not.

In fact they were never British just as France was never Germany, and Poland was never Russia.

And to use a contemporary, Iraq is not America.

Tell Bin Laden he's American because he lives in Afganastan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quitepossibly

And here's another thing: They were British against the wishes of the vast majority of the inhabitants of this island. I for one do not want the country where I live, where I was born, where I am proud to be from to have anything to do with the term 'British'. British is not on my passport and not in my address. I am Irish. Don't belittle your own country by making statements like it was British 100 years ago so its ok to still use the term today. It is a highly offensive attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Can we get the name of the country changed from Ireland to Eirinn while we're at it? I believe the Brits named that too.

I'd also like to retrieve the 'h' and 'n', so our capital city can go back to Dubh Linn without the stench of colonialism surrounding it's name.

I mean, seriously, who really cares about all this? Are you all so offended you can't sleep at night. Like it or not, British culture is a huge part of our culture. It's what makes us who we are today. The majority of us have British blood in our veins too, but nobody likes to acknowledge that, do they?

It's the British Isles. The same way the Irish Sea is the Irish Sea (and I've never heard British people writing letters wanting it to be changed). Irish people seem to just never stop moaning about something.

Exit wrote:
    The same way the Irish Sea is the Irish Sea
    Change it. Part of that stretch of water is British anyway, so no problem here with that.. From an Irish perspective it would be easier to call it the British sea.. Full of so much of there radioactive **** anyway that I'm quite sure most Irish people would be happier to have their name on it rather than ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Well said, Exit.

When I visited Melbourne's Immigation Museum a while ago, I was fascinated to look at the posters from the early part of the century aimed at attracting British immigrants to Australia. They featured a giant map of Britain (ie. the British Isles). At that point, Ireland was, in the eyes of the rest of the world, as British as Hertfordshire.

Just like the way the vast majority of Irish people refer to their city break in Barcelona as a trip to "Spain" - blissfully unaware that the majority of the 7 million Catalans don't see themselves as Spanish and want an end to Madrid rule.

The Barcelona people excuse our ignorance of their identity; in the same spirit, we should allow the rest of the world to refer to the "British Isles", even if we may not use the term ourselves. We are an independent country. Let's develop a thicker skin about these things.

Metrobest wrote:
    At that point, Ireland was, in the eyes of the rest of the world, as British as Hertfordshire.
    So was Australia. In fact ye still have the Union Jack on the flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

What about "the Home Countries", which seems to have disappeared. It describes the location of "home" to the people of Ireland and Britain, and many emigrants around the world. Who could possibly be offended?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with Metrobest. I mean, you don't see the Brits attempting to eliminate all evidence of the Vikings, Romans, Saxons and Normans from their history do you? Pretty much every placename in Britain has some kind of link to one of those cultures in it somewhere if you look carefully enough.

And wasn't Ireland invaded by the Celts at some stage in it's history? Why not eliminate all traces of Celtic influence as well, or is that somehow different because it was longer ago?

Ye just don't get it. Most Irish people have no problem with British people. People are people. But just because I drive a Nissan, like Soushi, play the playstation, have a mitusbishi telly and like Kung fu movies doesn't make me Japanese!

I speak English. I have a British friends. But am I British? No!

Are we that lovable that ye can't let us go????

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quitepossibly

Metrobest wrote:
    Well said, Exit.

Just like the way the vast majority of Irish people refer to their city break in Barcelona as a trip to "Spain" - blissfully unaware that the majority of the 7 million Catalans don't see themselves as Spanish and want an end to Madrid rule.

The Barcelona people excuse our ignorance of their identity; in the same spirit, we should allow the rest of the world to refer to the "British Isles", even if we may not use the term ourselves. We are an independent country. Let's develop a thicker skin about these things.

Wrong! Not a valid comparision. Barcelona is Spanish teritory. And until Catalunia gains independence it will remain Spanish. Ireland is a soverign nation and as such references to Britain in relation to the Republic, be they political or geographical, are misinforming and plain ignorant.

Ireland is a soverign nation and as such references to Britain in relation to the Republic, be they political or geographical, are misinforming and plain ignorant.
    Never mind that. It's a different place completely.

Isn't is amazing that on the one hand it's stated that the 2 islands are british but in the same breath they insist on calling the water in between Irish.

I wonder was that decision taken before or after they made it glow in the dark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

I don't understand how people can say that it's just a geographical term. Ireland cannot be British, geographically, technically only Great Britain can be called British. To say therefore that Ireland is in the "British isles" is a political statement. One which is inaccurate for all of the countries on the island (though UK citizens often call themselves British for convenience).

I don't really see why we need a term other than the UK & Ireland or GB & Ireland anyway, I suppose it's useful for geographers but it's hardly essential.

I think that a term such as this which causes needless offence (and confusion for that matter) should be avoided, regardless of the arguments for or against its use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

murphaph wrote:
    The british Isles indeed describes the whole group...the largest Isle is Great Britian ....the other isles are not Great Britain.....Geography, not Politics.....

corktina wrote:
    The british Isles indeed describes the whole group...the largest Isle is Great Britian ....the other isles are not Great Britain.....Geography, not Politics.....
    Ok. You worn me down. If we consent, can we use the term Great as well?

Great Ireland... I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

I've no problem with it staying the same and I've no real problem with it changing. I would even cross the Irish and British Sea to Holyhead and head for Dover to cross the French and English Channel but I'd find it a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

jlang wrote:
    I've no problem with it staying the same and I've no real problem with it changing. I would even cross the Irish and British Sea to Holyhead and head for Dover to cross the French and English Channel but I'd find it a bit silly.

Its funny that people keep bringing up the Irish sea

Quick Question how many people live in the Irish sea or are born in the Irish sea

The term Irish sea or english channel for that matter is no comparison to the term british isles the term British Isles refers to land mass that includes the Island of Ireland where the vast majority of people find the term offensive.

The term Irish sea refers to a body of water where nobody lives and infers nothing in regards to anyones nationality

• Advertisement

shltter wrote:
    The term Irish sea refers to a body of water where nobody lives and infers nothing in regards to anyones nationality
    And the gas thing is that the British called it that to denote what was on the other side of that body of water.

It's not called the Irish sea because the Irish wanted it to be called that. The Welsh sea would be a better name form this side of it.

It is the one thing that we do share with Britain, but to honest I couldn't care less what it is called.

Advertisement