Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Folens to wipe 'British Isles' off the map in new atlas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

What do the west brits on this forum think of the German Ocean??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

nordydan wrote:
    What do the west brits on this forum think of the German Ocean??

I presume the irony of your being happy to label some people in the Republic as "West Brits" is not obvious to you?

As regards the German Sea, the only thing I think of it is that it's a bit cold for swimming this time of year.

Aquavid

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I've always known it as the German Ocean, haven't you? :D

Now, as for the people who bemoan the Great in Great Britain, remember the Germans call it Grossbritannien, gross meaning simply large or big, same as the english version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Oh it all depends on how far we want to go back into history or pre-history now, does it?:D

What happened to geography?:rolleyes:
    I think I got a grade "C" O Level in it if I remember right..........

As a Brit who doesnt give a damn what the islands are called .....or the oceans for that matter...and who lives here by choice because it is a far more civilised place than "the other Island"...i would like to congratulate the posters on this board for their restraint. A similar discussion on some of the English (Classic Car) sites that I go on would have had to be pulled by now because of the rampant racism I encounter "over there"....yes, Ireland is quite a bit racist, but it pales into nothingness compared to what I hear from t'other side....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

corktina wrote:
    Ireland is quite a bit racist
    I have no problem with anyone no matter what their nationality.

But I would make no apology for my political views, and annoyance at terms like "the mainland" and "British Isles"..

Don't worry about it CorkTina - each to their own.. But I doubt you'll ever get many Irish people using those terms

Irish people consider themselves Irish and European. Being labelled with "British" is a throwback to a place & time they spent a long time getting away from..

And quite a few irish people are still in that place

murphaph wrote:
    I've always known it as the German Ocean, haven't you? :D

Now, as for the people who bemoan the Great in Great Britain, remember the Germans call it Grossbritannien, gross meaning simply large or big, same as the english version.

Yes and the scandanavians call it storbritannen as well, meaning the same. So what???

Regardless it should be renamed the Scottish/German/Norwegien/Danish/Anything but English Ocean. I think we can all agree on that.

I have no problem with anyone no matter what their nationality.

But I would make no apology for my political views, and annoyance at terms like "the mainland" and "British Isles"..

Don't worry about it CorkTina - each to their own.. But I doubt you'll ever get many Irish people using those terms

Irish people consider themselves Irish and European. Being labelled with "British" is a throwback to a place & time they spent a long time getting away from..

And quite a few irish people are still in that place
    thats corKtina actually....

dont forget that the people of Britain were repressed by exactly the same people who oppressed the Irish....never make the mistake of tarring all the "ENGLISH" with the same brush....

corktina wrote:
    never make the mistake of tarring all the "ENGLISH" with the same brush....
    Nobody here has done that.

But at the same token, maybe go easy with the empire-speak...;)

sorry im only a simple Limey, you'll need to translate that last one

• Advertisement

go easy with the empire-speak...;)
    "British Isles", "Mainland" etc.. All the terms us geographically challenged prickly sorts object to..

I'm joking..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I find that map grossly offensive. ;)

"British Isles", "Mainland" etc.. All the terms us geographically challenged prickly sorts object to..

I'm joking..
    glad to hear it......:) :cool:

actually i may be a South West Brit but the phrase I always pull my compatiots up on is "so you live in Southern Ireland then" southern yes, Southern (as opposed to Northern,) No......this one doesnt seem to bother the Irish too much (or does it?) but it hits me like a ton of bricks when people say it....the same people who belive ireland is the size of the Isle of Man btw....

corktina wrote:
    the same people who belive ireland is the size of the Isle of Man btw....
    But....

(from http://bueker.net/trainspotting/map.php?file=maps/british-isles-network/british-isles-network.gif apologies to Boris)

Victor wrote:
    :rolleyes: :D

I was over in England a few years ago a had during a conversation about something or other to do with Ireland with a an English couple, I mentioned something about a development in the midlands, at which point one of the (female) thought I was talking about the English midlands. When I said no, I'm talking about Mullingar, she burst out laughing and said "Ireland has a midlands?!"

You may (as well as Victor:rolleyes: ) think annoyance over these terms is frivoulous. Maybe my experience of what British means in Ireland is just different to yours. Nothing to do with race.

i wrote a piece for a magazine in which i mentioned travelling Cork to Donegal and it taking 7 hours........the Editor ridiculed me and said he didnt think there was anywhere in Ireland 7 hours from anywhere else..

..Ireland doesnt really have a Midlands you know, more a large lake with swampy bits around it.....(was she Blonde? I think I know her!)

When I said no, I'm talking about Mullingar, she burst out laughing and said "Ireland has a midlands?!"
    You should have told her we also have a South East! :D

Isn't the maximum distance to the sea greater in Ireland than Britain?

Victor wrote:
    Isn't the maximum distance to the sea greater in Ireland than Britain?
    I didn't know that..

corktina, she was from Birmingham... I think she was cloned though.. I've met a few of her!

I didn't know that..
    That was a question and I now suspect I'm wrong.

corktina wrote:
    glad to hear it......:) :cool:

actually i may be a South West Brit but the phrase I always pull my compatiots up on is "so you live in Southern Ireland then" southern yes, Southern (as opposed to Northern,) No......this one doesnt seem to bother the Irish too much (or does it?) but it hits me like a ton of bricks when people say it....the same people who belive ireland is the size of the Isle of Man btw....
    Dunno about that. I don't use the term Southern Ireland myself but wouldn't baulk at a brit using it-it would seem logical enough and when the por blighters use the actual official name, Eire, people go "ewwwhh, nobody calls it that!!" so maybe they think they're being polite. We do afterall (actually more in NI) hear the use of The South (from both communities, not forgetting the usual Free State from certain republican dopes) all the time, I'd use The North/The South myself depending on context.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    ..... Southern Ireland .... The South ....
    My parents live in the south, I live in the east, asking me do I live in the south of Ireland confuses me.

Question, if it is offensive to say Ireland is part of the British Isles, is it offensive to say, e.g. the residents of Ballymena are Irish.

Victor wrote:
    Question, if it is offensive to say Ireland is part of the British Isles, is it offensive to say, e.g. the residents of Ballymena are Irish.
    Depends who says it...:D
    Victor wrote:
    My parents live in the south, I live in the east, asking me do I live in the south of Ireland confuses me.
    Try living in Donegal

Victor wrote:
    Yeah, I know it doesn't make a whole heap of sense does it!
    Victor wrote:
    Not to me, but I'm not from Ballymena (thank God). If you (and I suspect you are) are refering to the british folk in Ballymena then I'm sure you'll find some who are offended and others who aren't. To me it's childish to be offended by such thngs-I don't care about this being the British Isles so I don't see why a Ballymena subject should be offended by being called Irish, afterall Carson was proud of his irishness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was over in England a few years ago a had during a conversation about something or other to do with Ireland with a an English couple, I mentioned something about a development in the midlands, at which point one of the (female) thought I was talking about the English midlands. When I said no, I'm talking about Mullingar, she burst out laughing and said "Ireland has a midlands?!"

Thats not as mad as it sounds, the English Midlands is identified in the popular imagination as a particluar area and type of ecomony. The Irish midlands is a defuse zone that has no particular aspect to it (apart from being a bit flat). Even now (and I've lived here since childhood) wheh I hear midlands I think of this not this. And it seems google thinks likewise.

Mike.

Most don't, unless it's this kind of discussion.

Then they transform into Ulster-Scots, descendents of the invader mode...

I didn't know that..

corktina, she was from Birmingham... I think she was cloned though.. I've met a few of her!
    a brummy! well i hope you had a good night.... :-)

they only gave up witchcraft there recently.....

...only because they couldnt find any more virgins....

Behave.

Victor wrote:
    Behave.
    behave? you should be congratting me for turning this back into a friendly discussion from a point where we were all about to go for each others jugular.....:)

corktina wrote:
    a brummy! well i hope you had a good night.... :-)
    Wasn't that kind of meeting

• Advertisement

Most don't, unless it's this kind of discussion.

Then they transform into Ulster-Scots, descendents of the invader mode...

Welcum tu tha ah-fishil lengweedge aff Norn Iron as spake bi Loodicris Orngemin threw oot tha hole Pravince.
    Nigh yoo too cin git ap aff yir baleeks an lurn Loodicris Alster Skats.

Advertisement